Thames.....Beale Park Moorings ( or not )

Bobbybass

Featured Posts

Came past the extensive moorings at Beal Park on the Thames  a few weeks back.

For the information of others, you can no longer moor there...which means that other places further up are now pretty congested. The signs have been taken down.

Sadly this has been brought about by the thoughtless and disgusting actions of a small minority of boaters.

The Covid crisis seems to have launched a whole load of ill equipped, old cheap cruisers onto the rivers. I've never seen so many as I did on this trip.

More information here :

https://www.bealepark.org.uk/article/we-are-suspending-mooring-along-our-stretch-of-the-river-thames/

Yes and no mention of it being boaters who were the problem. 

I suspect it was all part of Lockdown Luck and they got bad luck. 

It's a decent mooring. Obviously at the moment the River is on red boards I am looking out the door and it really is flying down at Henley. 

I reckon come next season those Beale Park moorings will be back to normal no worries. 

35 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Old news.

And mooring ban now apparently withdrawn.

Late September....all ' mooring allowed' signs removed....signs at the lock say ' mooring no longer allowed....and was told by Beale Park...moorings no longer allowed. 

I guess... moorings are no longer allowed ?

35 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Old news.

And mooring ban now apparently withdrawn.

Whilst the “no mooring” signs have gone, they have not been replaced by the “24 hour mooring” signs that were there before.  I was told by a lock keeper about 10 days ago that it was a boater that had removed the signs, and not Beale Park.  So we don’t know if they are waiting for new no mooring signs, or are just going to let it ride as it is.  There are signs at the lock downstream at least saying that there is no mooring there.  At this time of year at least,  plenty of space at Pangbourne.

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Whilst the “no mooring” signs have gone, they have not been replaced by the “24 hour mooring” signs that were there before.  I was told by a lock keeper about 10 days ago that it was a boater that had removed the signs, and not Beale Park.  So we don’t know if they are waiting for new no mooring signs, or are just going to let it ride as it is.  There are signs at the lock downstream at least saying that there is no mooring there.  At this time of year at least,  plenty of space at Pangbourne.

Hence my headline .." or not"...?

I was also told that they had put up " no mooring" signs...but a boater had ripped them down. One or two of the upright posts...do have screws with the remains of new looking signs ...plus there are a lot more posts than before.

Edited by Bobbybass

7 minutes ago, Bobbybass said:

Hence my headline .." or not"...?

I was also told that they had put up " no mooring" signs...but a boater had ripped them down. One or two of the upright posts...do have screws with the remains of new looking signs ...plus there are a lot more posts than before.

Yep and there is one place at the very upstream end of Beale Park, almost to the railway bridge, that still has a no mooring sign on the posts.  So I do tend to think the boater removing them is true.  There were a couple of hire boats there when we came past, so I suspect Beale Park are not moving people on.

5 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Yep and there is one place at the very upstream end of Beale Park, almost to the railway bridge, that still has a no mooring sign on the posts.  So I do tend to think the boater removing them is true.  There were a couple of hire boats there when we came past, so I suspect Beale Park are not moving people on.

I guess...that a  'boater ripping them down.."....gives a feel for the problem...

☹️☹️☹️☹️☹️

What have the waterways become...

It could easily have been an angler. 

When this story surfaced there was a lot of conjecture about anglers and boaters and who had priority over what. 

Why would someone on a boat bother to do this sort of thing? 

It could just as easily be anglers attempting to cast a negative light on boaters. 

It's all nonsense anyway. At the end of the day moor there.

If the land owners want to control their moorings they need to do something more than just putting signs up which bored fishermen can take down. 

The only thing that's clear is that 'someone' has removed the signs - and that person is nothing to do with

Beale Park.

A shame,  BP has always been welcoming and now some PRATT or PRATTS has screwed it up for everybody else. I have evidence that there's a new breed of person who don't give a *** for others and intime that will make the Thames a bit of a no go (or mebe a no stop) area in the future....

It is getting harder to stop in remote areas as sites get continuously moored on. And if the land owner gets fed up with people moaning or if there are problems, out come the No mooring signs and another spot is lost to all. It's such a shame but i can't see how it can be managed... I really don't want to see more of those parking type firms coming in with their signs and fines.

38 minutes ago, Paringa said:

It is getting harder to stop in remote areas as sites get continuously moored on. And if the land owner gets fed up with people moaning or if there are problems, out come the No mooring signs and another spot is lost to all. It's such a shame but i can't see how it can be managed... I really don't want to see more of those parking type firms coming in with their signs and fines.

The correct approach is to judiciously ignore no mooring signs. 

If you demonstrate by your own behaviour that you will not cause a problem then it is not a problem.

I did like that wooden speed boat with the Honda outboard you had :) nice and easy Thames boating. It was a Broom wasn't it ? 

EA asked Steve SRB at Henley if he would manage the entire River for them he said no. Sensible really.

17 hours ago, magnetman said:

It could easily have been an angler. 

When this story surfaced there was a lot of conjecture about anglers and boaters and who had priority over what. 

Why would someone on a boat bother to do this sort of thing? 

It could just as easily be anglers attempting to cast a negative light on boaters. 

It's all nonsense anyway. At the end of the day moor there.

If the land owners want to control their moorings they need to do something more than just putting signs up which bored fishermen can take down. 

Surely an angler prefers to fish where no boats are moored?

Why would an angler attempt to cast boaters in a negative light?

22 hours ago, magnetman said:

The correct approach is to judiciously ignore no mooring signs. 

If you demonstrate by your own behaviour that you will not cause a problem then it is not a problem.

I did like that wooden speed boat with the Honda outboard you had :) nice and easy Thames boating. It was a Broom wasn't it ? 

EA asked Steve SRB at Henley if he would manage the entire River for them he said no. Sensible really.

It might have proved hard for him to maintain his attendance to a freshly moored boat within 100 milliseconds of the hammer hitting the steel stake?  ;)

Edited by mark99

13 minutes ago, mark99 said:

It might have proved hard for him to maintain his attendance to a freshly moored boat within 100 milliseconds of the hammer hitting the steel stake?  ;)

But at least he is chatty and smiling while relieving you of 10 quid.

“We have made the sad decision to no longer allow mooring along our stretch of the River Thames.

This was due to the amount of rubbish being left (including human excrement) and damage to the river bank. We hope this is a temporary solution (at least until the end of the year) whilst we consider the options open to us. We have not taken this decision lightly.

If you have any questions, please contact us on admin@bealepark.org.uk

I believe this is a result of the boats that stayed there during lockdown - but happy to be corrected.

6 minutes ago, Tuscan said:

“We have made the sad decision to no longer allow mooring along our stretch of the River Thames.

This was due to the amount of rubbish being left (including human excrement) and damage to the river bank. We hope this is a temporary solution (at least until the end of the year) whilst we consider the options open to us. We have not taken this decision lightly.

I believe this is a result of the boats that stayed there during lockdown - but happy to be corrected.

It says that on their website from August, so I think it is clear why the no mooring signs went up.  What is not clear is why they are not there currently, or were not 10 days ago, and if you can or can not moor there currently.  When I say currently I obviously don’t mean right now!

27 minutes ago, Tuscan said:

It wasn't boats it was people visiting by car. This has been covered exhaustively earlier in the thread. Beale Park confirmed this by email. The issue wasn't overstaying either as some rumours were suggesting. Beale Park can't stop car visits. They can stop boats. They had to be seen to be doing something.

And let us hope they do away with signage completely for next season *.

Edited by Paringa
* Edit for those sensitive types. Season to mean on a river when all the plastic cruisers get launched for the spring/summer cruising before being wrapped up again for winter...

They were very nice in their email reply to me. Said they hope to be able to and they know what happened was a product of the weird summer we have had and won't be repeated. The yobs from Reading and elsewhere responsible can go back to Magaluf for their parties as usual?

• Greenie 2

• 7 months later...

Update: email from the business which will monitor Beale moorings.

Yes at present no bookings just turn up £10 per night, signs will go up soon with numbered moorings 1-19 , on arrival go to the lakeside cafe by the car park and we can give you the info.

Regards

Andrew Lewis
H20 Water Sports
Hi5@Beale

Tel 01189 567556
M 07768 928995

E andrew@hi5events.com

Team Building | Water Sports

UK - Jersey - Europe

www.hi5events.com
www.hi5ski.co.uk
www.watersports.co.uk

5 hours ago, Mike on the Wey said:

Update: email from the business which will monitor Beale moorings.

Yes at present no bookings just turn up £10 per night, signs will go up soon with numbered moorings 1-19 , on arrival go to the lakeside cafe by the car park and we can give you the info.

Regards

Andrew Lewis
H20 Water Sports
Hi5@Beale

Tel 01189 567556
M 07768 928995

E andrew@hi5events.com

Team Building | Water Sports

UK - Jersey - Europe

www.hi5events.com
www.hi5ski.co.uk
www.watersports.co.uk

Shame that they have decided to charge, but it is such a nice spot, so I will pay next time we are down that way.