Boat loose in Brentford flood

Dave123

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

Something that’s often puzzled me is why do the so called wide boats have narrow boat wide gunwales?

It must be to maximise the internal volume but in my opinion its lazy design. I freely admit that I am not impressed by a lot of boat design and am probably a biased and grumpy old git. Also if I was building boats for a living I suppose I would be making the usual clones too but wide boats could be so much better. The gunwales should indeed be at least 9" wide, that would mean the cabin could be less wide and the shape. especially at the ends could blend much better, and frankly it would be safer to use too. The hull really should have a decent chine so that a 12` wide boat would only need a 10`6" channel to get around in and as for water flow to the prop and awful transom ends, well really!

Edited by Bee
added a bit

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

indeed, very true.

i think the saying "you can't polish a turd" is also true, but then i was reading about this years Ig Nobel Prize winners and discovered you can't make knives from them either :D 

You may not be able to polish them, but you can roll them in glitter for an alternative decorative effect.

Edited by alias
Remove duplicates

22 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Could you please point out the aggression in my post, because I fail to see any at all.

No was a straightforward simple response to your question. And the rest was a suggestion as to why you may have not been able to see the video, because that is quite a common reason based on previous experience of people not being able to see them when hosted on there.

If you consider any of that 'aggressive' you must of had a very sheltered and pampered life.

FYI - I can still see the video, I now have no idea why you cannot.

It's just been pointed out to me that you have possibly read my signature as being incorporated into my response and that it was aimed at you specifically.

It wasn't, it's just a general statement of fact.

Correct

why would you also assume I wasn’t logged in to FB?

9 hours ago, midnight cowboy said:

Correct

why would you also assume I wasn’t logged in to FB?

Just for the record. I actually didn't 'assume' anything.

If re read what was posted I simply offered a possible reason as to why you might not have been able to view the video. This actually was offered in the name of assisting you as to an explanation. Not an assumption of any sort.

People have experienced similar.

The other possible reason relates to the privacy settings on the London boaters Facebook page. That said Im not on it but I can see it. 

Beyond that? 

On 05/10/2020 at 19:07, mrsmelly said:

Nor me, you need a 12 year old who participates in farcebook methinks?

I couldn't view it either as I'm not on Facewank. People seem to assume everyone is.

I was moored just below the bottom of Hanwell flight north of Brentford once along with a BW worker on another boat. The river Brent enters the canal there and it was in flood. The water level where we were moored was up to the towpath and the BW guy said that he'd been told there was a lot more water coming down. He decided to move his boat into the pound above the bottom lock and advised me to do the same. 

Untying your boat in flood conditions single handed is quite scary and so was trying to steer the boat into the lock with a torrent of water hitting the boat's starboard side, but I made it into the lock ok. In the end the water only came about 6" above the towpath below the lock so we didn't really need to move, but I suppose better safe than sorry.

Edited by blackrose

4 hours ago, blackrose said:

I couldn't view it either as I'm not on Facewank. People seem to assume everyone is.

I was moored just below the bottom of Hanwell flight north of Brentford once along with a BW worker on another boat. The river Brent enters the canal there and it was in flood. The water level where we were moored was up to the towpath and the BW guy said that he'd been told there was a lot more water coming down. He decided to move his boat into the pound above the bottom lock and advised me to do the same. 

Untying your boat in flood conditions single handed is quite scary and so was trying to steer the boat into the lock with a torrent of water hitting the boat's starboard side, but I made it into the lock ok. In the end the water only came about 6" above the towpath below the lock so we didn't really need to move, but I suppose better safe than sorry.

:clapping: Equaly as dangerous as Religion imho.

Edited by mrsmelly