Boat loose in Brentford flood

Dave123

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, BWM said:

Looking at the clips again the engine was running as the tree approached and after breaking loose he was motoring back amd forth, i can only assume that perhaps they tried to turn at the second location and underestimated the flow.

I think the sequence goes hit by tree with engine running - tries to move boat with engine - gets mooring line round the prop - drifts downstream - tries to moor to CRT workboat - swept down towards weir stream - hits bank at branch for weir, secures boat - gets mooring line off prop - motors off back upstream against current.

So the video of him going against the current is actually after all the drama happened.

1 hour ago, mark99 said:

Railing, two turns sorted. Would have needed a spare rope - we all got one though have we not?

This is where regular practice with grappling hook throwing technique can pay dividends..

Obviously everyone has a stout treble and suitable line  aboard but there arrrr some who won't know how to deploy the hardware. 

Edited by magnetman

Strong stuff water. If I had been in charge of one of the boats I might not have tied up very much better if it was just for a brief stop but  that little drama was played out in daylight with people around. Had that been an overnight or longer stop then hopefully I would have put the anchor down and/or used the chain to secure the thing to something big. As far as anchors go they need watching. I left our boat on the Thames for a week or so and left the anchor down when it was running quite hard. When I returned the anchor chain had collected a tarpaulin and lots of rubbish and rather than securing the boat was trying to drag it away. luckily the boat was secured to the seldom used 4` re bar that is a sod to get out of the bank but unless some prat cuts it loose will secure a shire horse.

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, phantom_iv said:

I think the sequence goes hit by tree with engine running - tries to move boat with engine - gets mooring line round the prop - drifts downstream - tries to moor to CRT workboat - swept down towards weir stream - hits bank at branch for weir, secures boat - gets mooring line off prop - motors off back upstream against current.

So the video of him going against the current is actually after all the drama happened.

That is plausible but the boat has turned somewhere between the original position and arrival downstream. The mooring rope is still visible throughout but it may have suffered damage/picked up a prop load when wedged in the reeds?

40 minutes ago, BWM said:

That is plausible but the boat has turned somewhere between the original position and arrival downstream. The mooring rope is still visible throughout but it may have suffered damage/picked up a prop load when wedged in the reeds?

At the end of the first video where it's largely wedged across the stream against the bow of another widebeam the video ends with people trying to push the bow upstream along the bank to turn the boat round. I can only assume they succeeded, because there's another video if it drifting downstream through the next bridge facing upstream.

18 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Im surprised no body has mention the licence expired in Feb this year........??

I noticed the date, but I'm not sure how long ago the incident took place.

13 hours ago, Bee said:

to the seldom used 4` re bar

What is one?

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

A four foot long length of steel bar (as used in reinforced concrete) hammered into the ground. i.e. a substantial mooring stake.

....and hence, as Bee suggests, extremely hard to get out when you want to move on, but a boon when you don't want to.

Speaking from the point of view of someone who used to live on the Yorkshire Ouse, that isn't even a very strong flow.

The problem is simply people who have no idea how to moor in a current. There were loading of things they could have tied off to, including the bankside pilings. 

14 hours ago, phantom_iv said:

You're bang on with the sequence I'd say yep. Big mess from start to finish. Several panic incorrect choices made. 

9 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I had my eye on the red handrail post ...

Yup.

If it had been me I would have had multiple ropes out - to the base of the railings, a hook on the pilings, a stake driven in and anything else - trees are good.

This is all a good reason to carry more rope than you normally need. Rope is relatively cheap!

58 minutes ago, David Mack said:

A four foot long length of steel bar (as used in reinforced concrete) hammered into the ground. i.e. a substantial mooring stake.

Unless really hammered in to its max length, not at all substantial.

17 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

No.

But if you are not on Facebook I suspect you wont be able to view it.

Well I am on FB and here is what it reports:

The page you requested cannot be displayed at the moment. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may be broken or expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

Not so stupid - why post so agressively???

44 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Especially that very thin centreline that snapped off the workboat.  That was too cheap a rope ...

I thought that. But from footage earlier they seemed to have a decent enough rope on the bow of the boat. Wonder if they'd have had more success with this? 

2 hours ago, midnight cowboy said:

Well I am on FB and here is what it reports:

The page you requested cannot be displayed at the moment. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may be broken or expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

Not so stupid - why post so agressively???

Could you please point out the aggression in my post, because I fail to see any at all.

No was a straightforward simple response to your question. And the rest was a suggestion as to why you may have not been able to see the video, because that is quite a common reason based on previous experience of people not being able to see them when hosted on there.

If you consider any of that 'aggressive' you must of had a very sheltered and pampered life.

FYI - I can still see the video, I now have no idea why you cannot.

It's just been pointed out to me that you have possibly read my signature as being incorporated into my response and that it was aimed at you specifically.

It wasn't, it's just a general statement of fact.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

3 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Could you please point out the aggression in my post, because I fail to see any at all.

No was a simple response to your question. And the rest was a suggestion as to why you may have not been able to see the video, because that is quite a common reason based on previous experience of people not being able to see them when hosted on there.

your signature reading as part of the post is all i can think of?

Just now, Hudds Lad said:

your signature reading as part of the post is all i can think of?

Ah possibly.

However it is true, you can't.

4 hours ago, Athy said:

I noticed the date, but I'm not sure how long ago the incident took place.

It was posted Saturday so my guess would be it was after the recent very heavy rain falls.

Just now, Hudds Lad said:

indeed, very true.

It's a bit of a catch phrase in our family at the moment for a whole load of reasons but in particular to do with trying to counter some of the stuff going around on FB ref the C word.