Can't blame CaRT for this one

Midnight

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

By some rather twisted logic they claim this to be a deliberate safety feature, because it ensures that the pawl will be in place for the next user. This of course ignores the highly unsafe consequence that you cannot lower the paddle by using just one hand.

Yeah, like a bellend, I slipped my hand off the windlass the other day and it span a full rev in freefall until coming to rest on me wrist, felt great.

3 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Did this article refer to the Botterham sinking? 

I pointed out at the time it appeared not to be a conventional cilling and involved water leaking out of the bottom of the pair of staircase locks resulting in them making a joint level lower than normal and the level continuing to drop as the boat transited between the chambers leading to it cilling and sinking.

I haven’t seen any reports confirming the cause but it did appear that an undetected slightly raised lower paddle may have been the cause.

Even so that isn’t CRTs fault or indeed something that could generally directly lead to a sinking.

JP

I thought they may not have shut the middle gates of the staircase, treating it as one large lock, and the boat had drifted partially into the shallower half as they emptied it.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Drop top chamber, leave middle gates open, drop bottom chamber.  If the boat is sat over the middle cill at that point, Bad ThingsTM happen ...

Well obviously but that’s not a method, it’s a guaranteed cock-up. It’s essentially what did happen but I’ll wager it wasn’t done deliberately.

7 hours ago, sirweste said:

Presently biding my time for the right sprung hub one of them to come up for sale

7 hours ago, bizzard said:

Mine was an ex Met Police bike I bought for £40 at an auction.

5 hours ago, sirweste said:

there's an ex-police, complete with some sort of radio / telephone mounted on the tank, for sale on ebay for ~£10k

I have a sprung hub Triumph 5T - bought new by my Dad almost 70 years ago.

Goes very well.  Stops very badly.

4 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Still on solid tyres too?   q or g?

I think often of why the steerer never seems to use the horn in an emergency to attract the attention of the lock crew.

Well  you might  have to go in cabin, and find a suitable one for the crisis ; trumpet, french horn or cornet, get it out of case disinfect hands etc , would be out of breath , and then have to blow a raspberry down the mouth piece. Crisis might be over  by then.