Stourport Ring Advice

disksnpads

Featured Posts

Hi everyone,

Total beginner here booked for a week with Black Prince from Stoke Prior in a few weeks time departing on a Saturday. Inspired by the posts from fellow beginner BavariaOne I intend to write up a similar report once completed.

They'll be two of us and we're just cruising the loop to experience the canals, we have no places we plan to visit.

Using the impressive amount of information available on this forum and Canal plan I thought I'd share the draft plan I've managed to come up with and ask for any hints, tips and advice you guys may have;

Day 1 (Saturday) - Stoke Prior to Hanbury. Only a few hours to get used to the boat and bearing in mind sunset will be around 6.30pm

Days 2 (Sunday) - Hanbury to River Severn Moorings at Stourport. Now this is a long day of approx 9.5hrs at Canal Plan, this is probably too long for the time of year with limited sunlight. Would appreciate if some could advise on a overnight a few hours south on the Severn (maybe around Holt?).

Day 3 (Monday) - Stourport to Kinver. Canal plan warns that the narrow lock from the Severn to Stourport is currently out of action and that the wide lock must be used which only operates Mon, Wed, Fri 9am to 3pm. Please can someone confirm there is no alternatives and, if not, will there likely be a queue at 9am on a Monday morning?

Day 4 (Tuesday) - Kinver to Merry Hill Visitor Moorings. 

Day 5 (Wednesday) - Merry Hill to Oozells St or Gas St Basin, Birmingham

Day 6 (Thursday) - City Centre to Alvechurch

Day 7 (Friday) - Alvechurch to Stoke Pound

Day 8 (Saturday) - Stoke Pound to Stoke Prior

Concerns are really only around the potentially long day on Day 2 and access to Stourport on Day 3, advice would be much appreciated. Other than that I just wanted to make sure I hadn't made any glaring errors or missed a better alternative on one of the overnights.

Thanks for reading

8 minutes ago, john6767 said:

Others will comment on the details, but I would suggest that you also plan a trip that just involves canals, in case the Severn is not passable due to rain. 

Thanks John - will also devise a Plan B just in case the rain is here for the next few weeks.

The lock from the Severn is presently out of use. I would say the day from Hanbury to Stourport will be a bit of a slog but doable. When you enter the river from the last lock on the Droitwich there is a landing stage on the left which is marked "lock use only" but you can overnight there, we have many times.  I would also check when the Severn locks close for the winter when you need to give 24 hrs notice for passage. Otherwise it all sounds jolly nice.

Assuming the Severn is back open:

I also think you're under estimating how long lock flights can take.  Especially if you're new to it.  Kinver to Merry Hill is over thirty locks with a fair cruising distance added in.  That's gonna be a long day.  You then have two short days with 1 lock on the first and no locks on the second, and those canals are nice and deep for the most part with few moored boats. You could potentially do both of them in 1 day. 

I would look at overnight mooring at the bottom of the Delph on day 4 and then going from there to Birmingham on day 5.

If the Severn remains closed, I'd recommend a there-and-back trip on the Stratford canal.  Mid point would be somewhere around Lowsonford/Wooton Wawen.  It would be a lot less stressful for a beginner too.  Lots of locks but no stressing about sticking to a tight schedule and worrying about river levels, lock timings etc.

A nice itinerary would be:

Saturday:  To The Queens Head at the bottom of Tardebigge.

Sunday:  To Hopwood.

Monday to Lapworth top lock

Tuesday to Lowsonford or a bit further, and turn.

Wednesday back up and to Hockley Heath

Thursday to Alvechurch

Friday to Stoke Prior

Saturday into the boatyard.

A different mooring every night and near enough to a pub every night, if that's your thing.

• Greenie 1

From Hanbury to Stourport you can go either via Worcester or via Droitwich. The latter will be a little quicker.

You say you are doing this trip 'in a few weeks time'. When exactly? The stoppage 'season' starts at the beginning of November, and may significantly restrict your route options. And regardless of stoppages you will have limited hours of daylight. Early starts will be in order.

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Assuming the Severn is back open:

I also think you're under estimating how long lock flights can take.  Especially if you're new to it.  Kinver to Merry Hill is over thirty locks with a fair cruising distance added in.  That's gonna be a long day.  You then have two short days with 1 lock on the first and no locks on the second, and those canals are nice and deep for the most part with few moored boats. You could potentially do both of them in 1 day. 

I would look at overnight mooring at the bottom of the Delph on day 4 and then going from there to Birmingham on day 5.

If the Severn remains closed, I'd recommend a there-and-back trip on the Stratford canal.  Mid point would be somewhere around Lowsonford/Wooton Wawen.  It would be a lot less stressful for a beginner too.  Lots of locks but no stressing about sticking to a tight schedule and worrying about river levels, lock timings etc.

Thursday to Alvechurch

Friday to Stoke Prior

A different mooring every night and near enough to a pub every night, if that's your thing.

Great advice thanks. Alternative route may be the one we go for - as you say a lot less stressful and can turn around when we hit the halfway point on Tuesday evening.

35 minutes ago, David Mack said:

From Hanbury to Stourport you can go either via Worcester or via Droitwich. The latter will be a little quicker.

You say you are doing this trip 'in a few weeks time'. When exactly? The stoppage 'season' starts at the beginning of November, and may significantly restrict your route options. And regardless of stoppages you will have limited hours of daylight. Early starts will be in order.

Thanks David - we're going from the 17th to 24th October so hopefully avoid the stoppage season.

As you say daylight hours will be a limiting factor.

I'd assumed the it would be via the Droitwich canal.  Via Worcester makes for a heck of a second day, with limited daylight hours and a rushing crew, it's a recipe for disaster.

If the River is open, try this itinerary:

Saturday - to Hanbury Junction. (Eagle and Sun)

Sunday to the River pontoon by Hawford Junction, or the Lock pontoon at Holt Fleet. (No pub, or the Holt Fleet)

Monday to Wolverley, mooring by the Lock Inn. (You'll arrive at Stourport mid morning and I doubt there will be any queues.)

Tuesday is tricky.  If you're going well, you could moor at the top of the Stourbridge flight, but there's no decent pub (Samson and Lion?) and it's not the nicest spot.  A better option would be in the flight on the same pound as the Red House cone.  Some top notch pubs and a brilliant Indian nearby, so let's say that. (Bird in Hand, Old Cat, New Inn, Crystal Balti)

Wednesday to Windmill End (Ma Pardoes/Old Swan)

Thursday to Alvechurch (choice of 4 pubs)

Friday to Stoke Pound (Queens Arms)

Saturday to Stoke Prior.

It means the longest day, according to canalplan would be Windmill End to Alvechurch, which has no locks, so would be far less tiring.  Every other day is far more manageable.

The most locks in a day would be 30 at Tardebigge, but those locks are easy to work and you won't need to cover much distance that day either. By the end of the week, you'll know what you're doing better too.  After that, your next busiest day would include 21 locks, which is part of Stourbridge, the Delph and 1 lock at Parkhead.  This should be pretty manageable.

Edited by doratheexplorer
  • Greenie 1

41 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I'd assumed the it would be via the Droitwich canal.  Via Worcester makes for a heck of a second day, with limited daylight hours and a rushing crew, it's a recipe for disaster.

If the River is open, try this itinerary:

Saturday - to Hanbury Junction. (Eagle and Sun)

Sunday to the River pontoon by Hawford Junction, or the Lock pontoon at Holt Fleet. (No pub, or the Holt Fleet)

Monday to Wolverley, mooring by the Lock Inn. (You'll arrive at Stourport mid morning and I doubt there will be any queues.)

Tuesday is tricky.  If you're going well, you could moor at the top of the Stourbridge flight, but there's no decent pub (Samson and Lion?) and it's not the nicest spot.  A better option would be in the flight on the same pound as the Red House cone.  Some top notch pubs and a brilliant Indian nearby, so let's say that. (Bird in Hand, Old Cat, New Inn, Crystal Balti)

Wednesday to Windmill End (Ma Pardoes/Old Swan)

Thursday to Alvechurch (choice of 4 pubs)

Friday to Stoke Pound (Queens Arms)

Saturday to Stoke Prior.

It means the longest day, according to canalplan would be Windmill End to Alvechurch, which has no locks, so would be far less tiring.  Every other day is far more manageable.

The most locks in a day would be 30 at Tardebigge, but those locks are easy to work and you won't need to cover much distance that day either. By the end of the week, you'll know what you're doing better too.  After that, your next busiest day would include 21 locks, which is part of Stourbridge, the Delph and 1 lock at Parkhead.  This should be pretty manageable.

Yes plan is to go via the Droitwich canal.

Your itinerary looks more do-able than mine, much appreciated thanks. I'm fancying the alternative plan you suggested more now as I don't want to be too pushed for time (and daylight).

52 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Or pootle down river from Hawford a short distance and moor overnight on the lock mooring above Bevere Lock. From there it is a short walk to the Camp House Inn below the lock.

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 3

Putting aside the issue of whether the Severn will be open I think there’s a danger of over complicating things by worrying too much about locations for the overnight stops. The Stourport Ring is a comfortable one week cruise via Worcester but given it’s a novice two person crew then going via Droitwich is sensible.

Note that CanalPlan default times for Tardebigge/Stoke locks and for the River Severn are conservative.

Hanbury Junction to Hawford Junction via Droitwich is about six hours cruising and the trip up the river to Stourport from Hawford is about two hours so the second day should be 8 about hours net cruising time. You’ll need to ensure you are in time for the last lock on the Severn at Lincomb, which is close to Stourport. I wouldn’t anticipate queues at Stourport in October outside of half term week. The broad locks have more capacity than the narrow locks anyway.

If you can’t make it off the river the best mooring is probably the pontoon between Holt Fleet bridge and the lock as it’s one of the few public places you can tie up without being against a high piled wall. It may be signed as the lock landing but that’s OK outside of normal hours. If you were to tie up above Bevere lock there’s a climb up a ladder involved to get off the boat.

Stourbridge and Delph locks combined are arguably harder work than Tardebigge as they are much deeper and have a larger combined fall than Tardebigge. That makes for harder work deposit there being fewer locks. Kinver to the foot of Delph locks is a straightforward enough day and you can moor below Delph or alternatively in the arm above the bottom lock. Not the greatest of spots but it’s OK. If you like ale it’s also a must do as it’s the nearest spot to the Bull & Bladder/Vine - Batham’s brewery tap.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 1

When do the Severn locks go to winter operating? When they do, around October/November iirc, opening days (and opening hours on those days) are restricted and 24 hrs notice advance booking is essential. I'd be very surprised if the OP would make it all the way to Stourport from Hanbury without meeting a closed lock "in a few weeks time".

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

When do the Severn locks go to winter operating? When they do, around October/November iirc, opening days (and opening hours on those days) are restricted and 24 hrs notice advance booking is essential. I'd be very surprised if the OP would make it all the way to Stourport from Hanbury without meeting a closed lock "in a few weeks time".

It’ll be on 2nd November I suspect and OP’s trip is 17th-24th October. It’s hard to know what the current opening hours are from notices as the last one said normal summer hours were recommencing after the reduced arrangement for Covid.

I don’t think Hanbury to Stourport is too difficult but it will need an early start and would probably mean not stooping in Droitwich. As an alternative a late morning stop in Droitwich and overnight Hawford/Bevere works nicely and on as far as Wolverley at least the next day.

Whilst this is doable and the advice above is sound, its not a route I would suggest for two beginners at the end of October.  Days are short, the risk of the Severn being in flood is quite high as is the risk of bad weather making steady onward progress a problem (unless you like getting very wet).

Make sure you have an anchor and lifejackets for the Severn section.

On the proposed route, I would suggest the Old Main Line through Birmingham. A little longer via Factory Locks, but a more interesting cruise route than the New Main Line

2 minutes ago, jonesthenuke said:

On the proposed route, I would suggest the Old Main Line through Birmingham. A little longer via Factory Locks, but a more interesting cruise route than the New Main Line

Through Birmingham you only have the Main Line, although you can choose to go round the loops. It is only between Tipton and Smethwick that you have the choice of Old and New Main Lines. 

Travelling through Netherton Tunnel the OP will come out on the NML anyway, so the shortest option is the NML direct to Smethwick. Alternatively do an extra 3 locks up and down via part or all of the OML. Going up Brades or Spon Lane is a short diversion from the NML route, but going via Factory adds rather more.

1 hour ago, jonesthenuke said:

Whilst this is doable and the advice above is sound, its not a route I would suggest for two beginners at the end of October.  Days are short, the risk of the Severn being in flood is quite high as is the risk of bad weather making steady onward progress a problem (unless you like getting very wet).

Make sure you have an anchor and lifejackets for the Severn section.

I’d say if that is the route they prefer to do then there is no reason why they shouldn’t do it. It was their stated intention not something the forum has advised. I’m wager they won’t be the only first timers to do the Stourport Ring this October.

The problem with all the alternative routes that don’t include the Severn is the sheer number of locks required to get anywhere, all of which you’ve got to do again to get home.

However, if the Severn is shut - and they’ll likely know if that’s going to be the case before they leave Stoke Prior - in addition to the above suggestions there is also an option of a partial ring going to Lapworth via the North Stratford and then back to Birmingham along the GU and Camp Hill and up Farmers Bridge to central Birmingham and return down the Worcs & Bham.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

On 05/10/2020 at 09:42, doratheexplorer said:

Thursday to Alvechurch

Friday to Stoke Prior

Be aware that once you join the Southern Stratford at Lapworth, there is no winding hole until after Preston Bagot bottom lock - 16 locks each way.  If you do go that way (and very nice it is too) then it would be a shame not to carry on to Wootton Wawen and Edstone Aqueduct if time allows.

There is a good lock free stretch of the Grand Union accessible from Lapworth too, and there is the option of returning to Birmingham via Camp Hill (although I wouldn't overnight between Catherine de Barnes and Cambrian Wharf).

Hopefully the Severn will be open for you, I've had some beautiful Autumn days on it before.  The locks should be open until 6.  The long stretch up to Lincomb seems to take forever when fighting the current and the clock though.

Thanks all - plenty of great suggestions.

Plan A - Stourport Ring

Plan B - Stratford Canal there-and-back

We will make a call on it depending on 1) the weather / River Severn, and 2) at the time whether we feel like taking it easy or pushing on.

Greatly appreciate all the advice.