Passing anglers

jetzi

Featured Posts

When I pass one who looks like he’s a member of an undertakers convention, I just call down the hatch “no idea why they’re so miserable darling, maybe it’s the fishing that does it”.  There’s no one down there but old fish face doesn’t know that.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Came down the Trent today from Nottingham to Newark.  A fair bit on, sideways rain and waves with white horses on but I'm doing my best and going straight down the middle,  like in the song.

3 fisherfolk start waving their arms about below Fiskerton and telling me to get over to the other side!   I'm sure you can guess my response. 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, noddyboater said:

Came down the Trent today from Nottingham to Newark.  A fair bit on, sideways rain and waves with white horses on but I'm doing my best and going straight down the middle,  like in the song.

3 fisherfolk start waving their arms about below Fiskerton and telling me to get over to the other side!   I'm sure you can guess my response. 

Awful weather.

Surprised there have been any fishists to be seen ............ and presumably there  been not many boats moving. 

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

Awful weather.

Surprised there have been any fishists to be seen ............ and presumably there  been not many boats moving. 

Surprisingly many fisher people,  all hiding in tents of course. Not many boats moving,  one struggling to get on the jetty at Gunthorpe lock and me.

31 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Tricky at the best of times 

He'd just managed to tie up to the ladder opposite when I arrived topside. I helped him through and we commented on how good the old pedestals are compared to the new play school big button ones. Who thought it's a good idea that both paddles can only be opened together?  Makes life difficult when going upstream single handed. 

1 minute ago, noddyboater said:

He'd just managed to tie up to the ladder opposite when I arrived topside. I helped him through and we commented on how good the old pedestals are compared to the new play school big button ones. Who thought it's a good idea that both paddles can only be opened together?  Makes life difficult when going upstream single handed. 

The ladder on the wall is the safer bet.

The old controls were better but I think people abused  them (accidentally or otherwise)  ..... so they made the lock operation by the boater a more automated process.  

5 hours ago, noddyboater said:

It's a good job they weren't trying to warn you about an obstruction like a tree or a new sandbank!

:D

14 hours ago, noddyboater said:

I'm sure you can guess my response. 

Guessing it is one thing; agreeing or applauding it is quite another. 

What if @TheBiscuits was right above? Alternatively, what if those anglers now tar all boaters with the same brush (as many boaters do with anglers) - where does the goodwill go then? Are you representing us well?

• Greenie 3

31 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Guessing it is one thing; agreeing or applauding it is quite another. 

What if @TheBiscuits was right above? Alternatively, what if those anglers now tar all boaters with the same brush (as many boaters do with anglers) - where does the goodwill go then? Are you representing us well?

I presume fisherfolk don't judge all boaters by any single example any more than I judge all fishists by the pratt swearing at me and throwing his rod across the towpath.  If they yell at you, knowing nowt about what boating entails, one is entitled to instruct them and, as you aren't there very long, in the most succint manner possible.

Generally, the angler/boater quarrel is about as serious as toilet wars or leisure/CC divisiveness. Most of us get on well enough (though people with pump-outs, shiny boats, electric boats, boats longer than 40ft, CCers, marina moorers, those wearing life jackets or captain's hats and people who dislike trombones are all obviously wrong, but I don't mind, I just pity them a bit).

• Greenie 2

Well the sun shining on Newark castle had started to cheer me up after yesterday's weather but now I'm having a proper giggle at the thought of a fisherman offering advice to a

boater!

Don't worry yourself, I didn't misread the arm waving and shouting so I haven't sullied the reputation of all boaters, boaters friends, people who've ever talked to a boater etc etc. 

3 blokes were fishing on a grim day,  they were tucked up not expecting a boat,  as usual their rods were up in the air on rests with baits mid river.

My initial reaction to his request was to say that I didn't know who was the most stupid, (me for boating,  or them for fishing in such appalling conditions), but I'd already had a long day and I wasn't feeling very chatty so when his mates joined in I shouted "F#ck Off". 

To be honest I was already past them due to the strong flow so they might not have heard me. But I do hope they did. 

I'm a  ex fisherman,  still dabble occasionally,  but things have changed over the last few years. Fishists now have an "elite" group,  who turn up with literally thousands of pounds worth of gear in a vehicle they've bought specially for the job of getting as near as possible to their spot. They stay for days at a time, often after pre-baiting a swim for weeks on a daily basis. Honestly. 

The last thing they want is a bloody boat turning up after settling 3 rods out, and imagine the audacity of the bloody bloke steering it to go straight down the middle!

But you're right,  we shouldn't tar everyone with the same brush. All the bristles would soon fall out.

Edited by noddyboater
  • Happy 1

Many congratulations to ivan&Alice for starting a thread that has allowed so much virtue signalling.

As the years went by, I grew to really dislike anglers, but then cycling became much more popular, and anglers didn't seem so bad.

My intention was only to find out the correct way to pass anglers.

We all have to share limited space, cyclists, walkers, anglers, and boaters (with diverse cruising/mooring patterns). Some of us are more than one of the above. All of us are here by the grace of the British taxpayer and none have the ultimate right to the space so best we live and let live and try to be accommodating.

Not sure if that is virtue signalling but I reckon if we all try to get along we will all be happier for it.

• Greenie 4

On 13/12/2020 at 22:16, MartynG said:

The ladder on the wall is the safer bet.

The old controls were better but I think people abused  them (accidentally or otherwise)  ..... so they made the lock operation by the boater a more automated process.  

The new control systems need their level water sensors setting correctly.  With the old pedestals you could crack the gates open a bit and equalise things once the level had stopped dropping,  as the keepers do. 

With the new dumbed down 2 button things it takes an eternity for the sensors to allow the gates to open. If there's a bit of wind blowing and a few waves on it's even worse.

Newark town lock yesterday, it looks empty, press gates open and hey presto they do. Old system.   Nether lock, it looks empty,  no it's definitely empty,  wait a  bit.. go for a quick tiddle.. wait a bit more.. put the kettle on.. you get the idea. It was over 10 minutes from the water reaching a level to the gates being able to open. But they look pretty. 

51 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

The new control systems need their level water sensors setting correctly.  With the old pedestals you could crack the gates open a bit and equalise things once the level had stopped dropping,  as the keepers do. 

With the new dumbed down 2 button things it takes an eternity for the sensors to allow the gates to open. If there's a bit of wind blowing and a few waves on it's even worse.

Newark town lock yesterday, it looks empty, press gates open and hey presto they do. Old system.   Nether lock, it looks empty,  no it's definitely empty,  wait a  bit.. go for a quick tiddle.. wait a bit more.. put the kettle on.. you get the idea. It was over 10 minutes from the water reaching a level to the gates being able to open. But they look pretty. 

Nether lock hydraulics and probably others have been  damaged on more than one occasion due to people cracking the gates open too early , probably a lot earlier than you or I would do it. And probably holding the button pressed in too long. Can't really fault C&RT for dealing with abuse  by fitting controls that prevent  damage from abuse.

12 hours ago, MartynG said:

Nether lock hydraulics and probably others have been  damaged on more than one occasion due to people cracking the gates open too early , probably a lot earlier than you or I would do it. And probably holding the button pressed in too long. Can't really fault C&RT for dealing with abuse  by fitting controls that prevent  damage from abuse.

Thankfully they do still allow you to leave the gates open and remove your key,  a member on here previously said that it wasn't possible. 

Anyway that's enough for locks, back to grumpy fisherman. 

• 9 months later...

I've always gone slow myself so as not to disturb things for fishermen. I shouldn't care really, I don't agree with the cruelty of fishing. The myth about fish not feeling pain was disproven a long time ago. All life has to feel pain otherwise it will wipe itself out. Just do what you want, if it drives them out good. Some are just scoping boats to steal from and pretending to be fishing anyway. 

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

"How much was your boat, mate?"

Why the hell do they want to know?  Always puzzled me why some scruffy bloke who looks like he hasn't changed his underwear for a month could possibly be interested in buying a boat.

I usually say " don't tell anyone but I pinch a different one now and again". 

48 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Why the hell do they want to know?  Always puzzled me why some scruffy bloke who looks like he hasn't changed his underwear for a month could possibly be interested in buying a boat.

My stock answer is that they are a bit like cars - you can get a banger that needs work for a few grand or you can pay quarter of a million for a brand new one with lots of shiny toys inside.

This seems to suit most of the people who ask me the question - they don't care how much I paid for my boat, they are trying to find out if they could ever realistically get one themselves.

I can certainly see the appeal of a knackered old boat compared to a dingy bedsit or worse.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

This seems to suit most of the people who ask me the question - they don't care how much I paid for my boat, they are trying to find out if they could ever realistically get one themselves.

I think you're right, they are idly collecting info about what boats cost and probably ask every passing boater the same question to get a broad idea if there are any boats about they could afford. 

It feels an impertinent question and always catches me off guard. Complex answers are not easily shouted across the cut, maybe the best answer is half past two. 

Or perhaps, "57 feet."