Passing anglers

jetzi

Featured Posts

On 05/10/2020 at 22:25, TheBiscuits said:

Ask "Are they biting today?"

You don't need to care about the answer, but you're more likely to get a polite response if they think you're showing an interest in their hobby.

I always thank them for "Drawing in their tackle"

On 04/10/2020 at 20:47, ivan&alice said:

I'm going absolutely nowhere and certainly not rushing - covering miles is not vital or even an aim. We only ever do a few miles and a few hours a day (I'd wager much fewer than most). We did four miles in four hours today - in effect a mile and an hour are about the same thing, considering locks and passing moored boats. I'd consider 1mph a rather leisurely pace on a motorway. Less than that and you start blurring the lines between cruising and mooring!

Interesting posted in Boat Handling, you are obviously lucky to have a boat that you can actually steer at that speed. Most boats find steering difficult below about 1.5 MPH, maybe their rudders are to small or their propellers at tick over produce to much power, it is sometimes impossible to follow a nice slow boat even on a flat calm day.  The common name is 'steerage way' the speed at which you control the boat and it doesn't do it's own thing, it does vary between boats, if you have control at a very low speed, please think of the poor bloke following trying hard not to push you or hit the moored boats because he is below his steerage way.

• Greenie 1

After 54 years of navigating past maggot drowners, the only behaviour from them I find totally unacceptable is dangling the soggy maggot inches from my head.

Nowadays it does happen less, but was very common in the 80/90s.

I ended up with my dog impaled between the eyes with a hook once due to such stupidity, that cost several hundred pounds procuring a vet in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday afternoon!

2 hours ago, zenataomm said:

After 54 years of navigating past maggot drowners, the only behaviour from them I find totally unacceptable is dangling the soggy maggot inches from my head.

Nowadays it does happen less, but was very common in the 80/90s.

I ended up with my dog impaled between the eyes with a hook once due to such stupidity, that cost several hundred pounds procuring a vet in the middle of nowhere on a Sunday afternoon!

Late 70's, early 80's i remember matches that covered around 3 miles of towpath, with an angler every 5 metres or so! 

Never suffered the maggot trauma though...

6 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I went past quite a few on Sunday, I was told there were 75 of them but I didn't count them, on the S&W from  bridge 104 to mid way between bridge 98 and Stafford Boat Club, it wasnt solid all the way, they were in 5 groups

So did I, but in the opposite direction.

I noticed Angling has a diversity problem. I didn't see any women, only one man with non-white skin, and only a small handful under the age of 50!

7 hours ago, Detling said:

you are obviously lucky to have a boat that you can actually steer at that speed. Most boats find steering difficult below about 1.5 MPH, maybe their rudders are to small or their propellers at tick over produce to much power, it is sometimes impossible to follow a nice slow boat even on a flat calm day.

I meant 1mph average not cruising speed - that day I covered 4 miles in 4 hours, which included 6 locks and slowing for a lot of moored boats.

My boat handles fine at tick over speed, unless it's windy or if there is a current in which case I have to give it a burst of throttle now and then. I do have a pretty enormous rudder. As an ex-hire boat I think it is probably designed to be idiot proof. I havent sank it yet so it seems safe from this idiot at least.

16 minutes ago, David Mack said:

23 hours ago, David Mack said:

So did I, but in the opposite direction.

I noticed Angling has a diversity problem. I didn't see any women, only one man with non-white skin, and only a small handful under the age of 50!

Was it you I met in one of the angling sections probably near bridge 103

17 hours ago, David Mack said:

We passed just below Deptmore Lock.

Sorry I failed to recognise and speak to you. You must have been the full length boat that came out while I waited below, Diana was up on the lock

Edited by ditchcrawler

I don't particularly like fishists as a group having occasionally received some verbal abuse for no good reason  from time to time.  But not this year - not sure why that would be. 

Those who fish opposite  the marina entrance shouldn't be surprised they are disturbed by boats .

Even worse are those who attempt to fish next to the large sign at the marina entrance.... the sign that indicates  fishing is prohibited .

On 04/10/2020 at 17:41, OldGoat said:

Ferzackerly - cruising the canals (we've been using them for 25+ years now) is becoming less pleasant day by day.

Not because I want to rush, but having to contend with-

• Long stretches of moored boats
  • A fair number of badly moored boats (they're the ones that shout 'slow down')
  • Boats with their bows moored right up to the lock landings
  • People who don't shut lock gates behind them
  • Those who leave paddles up against you
  • Those who moor too close to bridge holes
  • Those who moor in winding holes
  • (those who don't bother to respond to your cheery wave / greetings)

If you're not enjoying it anymore perhaps after 25 years it's time to consider taking up a different hobby that won't irritate you so much and you'll find more pleasant?

After 22 years I can see the waterways are a lot more crowded, but then the whole country is a lot more crowded so that's to be expected. Yes I see the odd idiot but my experience is really not as bad as the picture you're painting. 

I think we see what we want to see. If one constantly looks for negative things than that's exactly what we'll find. At the end of the day if we don't like something that we've been doing for many years and we're not finding it as pleasurable anymore then the option is to stop doing it and do something else.

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, blackrose said:

If you're not enjoying it anymore perhaps after 25 years it's time to consider taking up a different hobby that won't irritate you so much and you'll find more pleasant?

After 22 years I can see the waterways are a lot more crowded, but then the whole country is a lot more crowded so that's to be expected. Yes I see the odd idiot but my experience is really not as bad as the picture you're painting. 

I think we see what we want to see. If one constantly looks for negative things than that's exactly what we'll find. At the end of the day if we don't like something that we've been doing for many years and we're not finding it as pleasurable anymore then the option is to stop doing it and do something else.

I think its a lot to do with where you cruise, we didn't see a boat moving yesterday and not seen one today yet. The fishermen we saw yesterday were cheery and chatty. no rows of moored boats until we came to the visitor moorings

Today was my first slightly negative vocal encounter with a fisherfolk. 

Fishybloke "Don't slow down" 

Moi "I didn't" 

Fishybloke "Cos its not good manners" 

Moi shrugged my shoulders and continued my journey leaving him to mutter to himself. 

I wasn't going particularly fast, maybe 2mph, and he's been the first to say anything. If he'd have been less sarcastic I'd probably have apologised but his tone didn't make me feel the need to. 

11 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

For what?

An informal apology, for the sake of being polite. 

"Sorry mate, didn't know if you were a pass-me-at-full-throttle or pass-me-going-nowhere or better still don't-pass-me-at-all kind of guy, so I took the middle ground" 

20 hours ago, Rumsky said:

Today was my first slightly negative vocal encounter with a fisherfolk. 

Fishybloke "Don't slow down" 

Moi "I didn't" 

Fishybloke "Cos its not good manners" 

Moi shrugged my shoulders and continued my journey leaving him to mutter to himself. 

I wasn't going particularly fast, maybe 2mph, and he's been the first to say anything. If he'd have been less sarcastic I'd probably have apologised but his tone didn't make me feel the need to. 

This was pretty much the encounter I had that prompted the thread, although I was going a touch faster than that. Since then on the advice of the thread I've had no more comments, slowing to "the slowest speed that the engine sounds comfortable with". Vibratey, labourey, half a mile an hour tickover I reserve for moorers, in case they don't know how to tie up their boats and blame me for it. ?

I just wanted a speed rule to follow that's fair. I think I have it now:

* no breaking wash for cruising

* tickover for moored boats

* slowest-steady-speed for anglers, bridge holes and passing cruising boats.

Any further grumpiness or nastiness I will brush off as a problem with the psyche of the shouter, whether boater, angler or gongoozler.

Who would have thought there was so much disgruntlement in a difference of one mile per hour!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/10/2020 at 08:05, gatekrash said:

So having only had the boat for a couple of months, we collected our first fishing rod on the cratch last week. A Sunday afternoon fishing match on the Droitwich barge canal, about 50 rods in over half a mile or so and we crawled down the entire length at just over tickover. Everyone was generally either cheerful or just ignored our 'thank you' which I don't have a problem with. Every rod came up or back at the very last minute, except one which clattered in to the cratch, followed by a quick dragging out the way and a load of swearing at us including shouting about 'use your f-ing horn'. Now maybe I'm wrong but I assumed that the fishermen would get a bit peed off if I sounded the horn every few yards cos it'll scare the fish. And given how they all pulled their rods out of the way at the very last minute I'm not sure how I was supposed to know I hadn't been seen.

His mood probably wasn't improved by my daughter asking him if he was likely to catch any fish whilst playing on his smartphone at the same time...nor by the fact they were all fishing on the run up to the winding hole which we were turning at and them coming straight back through them all again.

Anyway....horn or no horn, or just put it down to the fisherman needing something to blame for his lack of observation ?

Having read the whole thread, this post really made my night as it made me laugh out loud and spilled my tea, especially with your daughter asking if the smartphone helped just before you winded and went past them all again! ?

• 4 weeks later...

Reminds me of a few decades ago on the Thames, piloting a bow-steered GRP.

We got to a lock landing and an out-of-breath boy came up and said "Sorry my dad cast onto your boat, can I get his gear back please?" 

We'd literally taken hook, float and sinker, and 200m of line 1/4 of a mile up the river! Ooops..sorry!