Passing anglers

jetzi

Featured Posts

Passed about 50 anglers today. Not being into fishing myself I am not really sure of the etiquette. Thinking that if anything they'd want me past as fast as possible, I passed at full speed (which I'd describe as a brisk walk - 3, 4mph max - no breaking wash).

Generally I'd thank them for moving their rods out the way, and that was that. Must admit it got a bit tiresome after awhile, especially since they wouldn't usually bother to respond - fair enough though I imagine it is a bit of a bother having to interrupt their fishing every time a boat goes past.

So far, so good. But then one sarcastically said "thanks for slowing down". I apologised and said I thought he would want me past him as soon as possible.

Why would they care what speed I'm going? Do you slow for anglers and if so by how much? Going at tickover past all moored boats, bridge holes AS WELL as anglers would make for extremely slow progress :(

Some fisherpeople want you to go past 'fast' to stir the bottom up and give the fish something to eat, some want you to go past as slowly as possible (why ?) and some think you shouldn't be on their canal anyway.

Just do what you are comfortable with - you have paid much more to use it than they have.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

if they’re sat there with poles and all the gear ill slow to tick and if possible avoid where i think they’ve lobbed their groundbait. and say hello as i pass.

if they’re walking along spinning for pike or zander i just go by as normal. and say hello as i pass.

i reckon reciprocation of greeting is about 75%, i’ve not yet been shouted at.

• Greenie 4

9 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

Passed about 50 anglers today. Not being into fishing myself I am not really sure of the etiquette. Thinking that if anything they'd want me past as fast as possible, I passed at full speed (which I'd describe as a brisk walk - 3, 4mph max - no breaking wash).

Generally I'd thank them for moving their rods out the way, and that was that. Must admit it got a bit tiresome after awhile, especially since they wouldn't usually bother to respond - fair enough though I imagine it is a bit of a bother having to interrupt their fishing every time a boat goes past.

So far, so good. But then one sarcastically said "thanks for slowing down". I apologised and said I thought he would want me past him as soon as possible.

Why would they care what speed I'm going? Do you slow for anglers and if so by how much? Going at tickover past all moored boats, bridge holes AS WELL as anglers would make for extremely slow progress :(

Sorry to tell you but it is a normal courtesy to pass anglers slowly, certainly not at maximum canal speed. It is I believe also a requirement by the licencing authority to be mindful of other canal users.

I have over the years met many anglers who are appreciative of canal boats as we keep the water flowing.  Most are very pleasant, yes, there some too preoccupied or with withdrawn appearance who do not think there is anything in the world more important than the next catch.  

But there is similar behaviour in some boaters.

There are also the arrogant boaters who think that the whole canal, where ever  they are, is only for them.

• Greenie 2

5 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

Ferzackerly - cruising the canals (we've been using them for 25+ years now) is becoming less pleasant day by day.

Not because I want to rush, but having to contend with-

• Long stretches of moored boats
  • A fair number of badly moored boats (they're the ones that shout 'slow down')
  • Boats with their bows moored right up to the lock landings
  • People who don't shut lock gates behind them
  • Those who leave paddles up against you
  • Those who moor too close to bridge holes
  • Those who moor in winding holes
  • (those who don't bother to respond to your cheery wave / greetings)

Come to think of it I don't usually have any problem with fishermen...... (and I don't fish)

• Unimpressed 1

I used to slow down for fisherman but don't any more. The reason is simply that whatever you do you will be wrong.  Too fast, too slow, too near the towpath, too near the offside, in the middle, I've heard it all.  I have noticed on several occasions when travelling at normal speed fish sometimes can be seen jumping behind the boat, I reckon they are attracted by the bubbles.  

20 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Sorry to tell you but it is a normal courtesy to pass anglers slowly, certainly not at maximum canal speed. It is I believe also a requirement by the licencing authority to be mindful of other canal users.

Thank you, I asked the question because I genuinely wanted to know. I will slow for anglers in future.

For what it is worth it wasn't that I was not being mindful of their use of the canal, I just simply didn't know that slowing down for them would be something they would want. Still don't completely understand why but if that is the etiquette I'll abide by it.

Perhaps a compromise speed somewhere between tickover and normal cruising speed?

• Happy 1

7 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

Thank you, I asked the question because I genuinely wanted to know. I will slow for anglers in future.

For what it is worth it wasn't that I was not being mindful of their use of the canal, I just simply didn't know that slowing down for them would be something they would want. Still don't completely understand why but if that is the etiquette I'll abide by it.

Perhaps a compromise speed somewhere between tickover and normal cruising speed?

From the CaRT boaters handbook  :-  "If you’re passing an angler, keep to the centre of the channel unless they ask otherwise. Reduce your wash, but keep a steady pace".

• Greenie 3

16 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

You have to understand why there is a fishing match.

Its not sport, they pay a lot of money to be there and can win lots of money if they win the match. They spend a fortune on the best and latest tackle and bait, those carbon fibre rods are a king's ransom.

Pass as though you are passing a line of well moored boats, a slow steady walking pace in the centre of the cut.

• Greenie 1

I also slow as I would for passing moored boat and keep to the centre of the canal.  The anglers that know what they're doing will appreciate that, as they'll mostly be fishing the margins either on the near side or the far side, whilst in the centre the water deeper and less affected anyway.  I rarely experience anything other than a pleasant or no interaction, with the rare exception being an odd grumpy numpty who knows no better.  I suspect the majority of thinking anglers have a similar experience with passing boaters.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

You have to understand why there is a fishing match.

Its not sport, they pay a lot of money to be there and can win lots of money if they win the match. They spend a fortune on the best and latest tackle and bait, those carbon fibre rods are a king's ransom.

Pass as though you are passing a line of well moored boats, a slow steady walking pace in the centre of the cut.

Interesting, I didn't know any of this about fishing matches. Thanks for that. Still not sure why the fact that they have spent a lot of money and are taking it very seriously is the reason they want you to slow down - but:

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I assumed the reason for slowing was so that the drag of the boat didn't hoick their keepnets into the cut.

That makes sense, thank you.

I'm still not sure about slowing for anglers quite as slow as if they were moored boats. I never go over tickover for moored boats which on my boat is extremely slow - and once I was shouted at even at tickover speed ? But I will slow down for anglers now that I know that's a courteous thing to do.

Thing is, there is either a boat or an angler pretty much everywhere. Not trying to justify speeding but continously cruising at tickover does make for slow going. It doesn't bother me at all if someone gently rocks my boat when they pass. Speeding boaters are never an issue unless I didn't tie up properly or put fenders in the right places. Perhaps my boat is especially stable. Have you seen those signs that have a red circle with "TICK OVER" that some put in their windows? I've considered putting something similar saying "feel free to pass as fast as you like!"

4 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

Interesting, I didn't know any of this about fishing matches. Thanks for that. Still not sure why the fact that they have spent a lot of money and are taking it very seriously is the reason they want you to slow down - but:

That makes sense, thank you.

I'm still not sure about slowing for anglers quite as slow as if they were moored boats. I never go over tickover for moored boats which on my boat is extremely slow - and once I was shouted at even at tickover speed ? But I will slow down for anglers now that I know that's a courteous thing to do.

Thing is, there is either a boat or an angler pretty much everywhere. Not trying to justify speeding but continously cruising at tickover does make for slow going. It doesn't bother me at all if someone gently rocks my boat when they pass. Speeding boaters are never an issue unless I didn't tie up properly or put fenders in the right places. Perhaps my boat is especially stable. Have you seen those signs that have a red circle with "TICK OVER" that some put in their windows? I've considered putting something similar saying "feel free to pass as fast as you like!"

But where are you rushing to?  Is it vital that you cover as many miles and do as many locks in a day as possible? This is a leisurely life style, not a motorway sprint. You are not trading, delivering perishables, or on a deadline. 

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

But where are you rushing to?  Is it vital that you cover as many miles and do as many locks in a day as possible? This is a leisurely life style, not a motorway sprint. You are not trading, delivering perishables, or on a deadline. 

I'm going absolutely nowhere and certainly not rushing - covering miles is not vital or even an aim. We only ever do a few miles and a few hours a day (I'd wager much fewer than most). We did four miles in four hours today - in effect a mile and an hour are about the same thing, considering locks and passing moored boats. I'd consider 1mph a rather leisurely pace on a motorway. Less than that and you start blurring the lines between cruising and mooring!

• Greenie 2

3 hours ago, Flyboy said:

I used to slow down for fisherman but don't any more. The reason is simply that whatever you do you will be wrong.  Too fast, too slow, too near the towpath, too near the offside, in the middle, I've heard it all.  I have noticed on several occasions when travelling at normal speed fish sometimes can be seen jumping behind the boat, I reckon they are attracted by the bubbles.  

Perhaps next time you go out for a cruise you can feed back what they all require, you know, make a spreadsheet on a wet day or something.

Perhaps ask if they have rod licences or not.

• Greenie 2

12 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Perhaps next time you go out for a cruise you can feed back what they all require, you know, make a spreadsheet on a wet day or something.

Perhaps ask if they have rod licences or not.

Excellent idea, thanks.

• Happy 1

Me thinks thou protests too much,  No one on the canals needs to dash, its a selfish attitude that leads to distress to other users and perpetuates the motorway  mentality.

You do what you want lad but you get no sympathy from me if you get bawled at.

4 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Me thinks thou protests too much,  No one on the canals needs to dash, its a selfish attitude that leads to distress to other users and perpetuates the motorway  mentality.

You do what you want lad but you get no sympathy from me if you get bawled at.

No one on the canals needs to be there at all. Demanding that others lead their lives as you choose to, is the selfish attitude.

Anyway my point is that some, in fact most, people need to make reasonable progress on the canals due to the reasons already given. That is not to say they should reasonably cruise, pass moored boats or fishermen at a speed that causes undue disturbance. We always slow for moored boats and fishermen, however I can’t abide the attitude that there is virtue in doing everything VERY SLOOOOOWWWWLY just to make a point that “OOOOH, look at me, I am so cooool and clever that I never need to be seen to be doing anything any faster than the slowest possible pace”.
I really want to slap those arrogant, smug people. And then vomit on them.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, tree monkey said:

When working a swim to catch fish most anglers will bait 2 or 3 areas with either ground bait (fine ground bread) bits of the hook bait or a combination of both, this has the effect of keeping the fish feeding in a localised area and encouraging competition amongst the fish, which makes them less skittish of the hook.

All of this can take time and careful attention to build the swim to enable a good catch, boats moving through can/will disturbe these baited areas and can bugger up some hours work, so the request for slow and steady.

This makes total sense, thank you for the explanation! What I didn't understand is what the anglers had in the canal to be disturbed by my passing. I thought perhaps fast moving boats scared the fish away.

58 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

No one on the canals needs to dash, its a selfish attitude that leads to distress to other users and perpetuates the motorway  mentality.

I really cannot see how you can compare a effective speed of less than 3mph to a motorway.

No one is rushing because it is impossible to rush. I'm personally not on a deadline (though I recognise that others may be) - still I would prefer to make more progress and see more of the waterways than permanent tickover speed affords.

Nevertheless, I got the information I was looking for and I will pass anglers at a "slow, steady" but maybe a bit more than tickover speed, in the centre of the channel, because I now know that it can affect their baited area or damage their keep nets.

Thanks all!