Unlicenced Boats

Flyboy

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, Higgs said:

It would not weaken a challenge, on the basis of how many non licence payers there might be. It would not be proposed that the need for a licence be scrapped on the waterwys of CRT. It is not my responsibility either, to worry about policing. Neither is it the responsibility of marinas. 

Please carry on.  My content to this discussion is completed at #149.

21 minutes ago, Higgs said:

My timetable and strategy is not. Needless to say, the latter will not be discussed on here. 

That's a relief ? 

This thread, which crops up like a bad penny with monotonous regularity is always the same, it just goes round in circles.  I know I could ignore it but I always hope that common sense will have prevailed and Higgs has thrown in the towel.

haggis

• Greenie 3

11 minutes ago, haggis said:

That's a relief ? 

This thread, which crops up like a bad penny with monotonous regularity is always the same, it just goes round in circles.  I know I could ignore it but I always hope that common sense will have prevailed and Higgs has thrown in the towel.

haggis

You are not obliged to take any notice. It isn't in the terms and conditions of the forum. 

Edited by Higgs

2 hours ago, Jerra said:

Nobody forces a business to have a contract,  the business considers the contract on offer (possibly after negotiation) and either chooses to accept or goes looking for a different one.

CRT are not the only navigation authority you know potential marina developers could go elsewhere is they didn't like the contract.

Further, a 'contract' which is not entered into willingly is not a contract. Nor is one that a court deems unreasonable

1 hour ago, Higgs said:

If it is agreed that there is no licence needed in a private marina, it shouldn't be that difficult to have the clause in the terms and conditions removed, and also, for it to be removed from the NAA, as a condition of the marina business. 

That is not so, with all marinas. It wouldn't even be a point, if it was to be the case. 

But the licence is required by the marina . . . . 

Removing it from the NAA might be just a tad difficult . . . 

1 hour ago, Higgs said:

It would not weaken a challenge, on the basis of how many non licence payers there might be. It would not be proposed that the need for a licence be scrapped on the waterwys of CRT. It is not my responsibility either, to worry about policing. Neither is it the responsibility of marinas

I am led to believe that such is a condition of the NAA.

1 minute ago, Mike Todd said:

Further, a 'contract' which is not entered into willingly is not a contract. Nor is one that a court deems unreasonable. 

I have never come across a contract where either side was unable to refuse to accept it.   Yes they might have prefered a better contract but to achieve their aims they accept it.   That is not unwillingly.

What do you feel is unreasonable about requiring a boat in a marina with access to the canal to be "canal legal" I have seen car parks with just the same conditions for having a car there.

Just now, Mike Todd said:

But the licence is required by the marina . . . . 

Removing it from the NAA might be just a tad difficult . . . 

Yes, it's part and parcel of the NAA obligation.

Difficult..., yes, but it probably isn't on the scale of climbing Mount Everest. 

2 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

You haven't answered my questions.  

That's a fair assessment. 

17 hours ago, Goliath said:

I was clocked on the move
Just the once as far as I’m aware

Probably going so slow I looked static 

A few years ago, I had a dispute with CaRT over licencing. The person who I spoke to said my boat was "clocked" 6 times moving between Limehouse basin and Islington!

Re #145, it was aready there in Easter 2008,  which was the last time we cruised the Southern Oxford. Unfortunately when we passed it I was steering, well wrapped up in warm clothes and thick gloves due to the very cold weather:- we had had several inches of snow fall the first night, more than enough to build a snowman on the gas cylinder cover in the bows as a combined figurehead and beer cooler.  My camera was at the front, as were my teacher wife and student children,  preparing lessons and studying for exams respectively in the warm, so I was unable to get a photo. Its chimney was smoking, indicating it was occupied. 

IMGP3232.JPG

IMGP3224.JPG

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

21 hours ago, WotEver said:

Yes we are.  Is this the five minute argument or the full half hour?

I think you have made a mistake with the units of time.

It should read "Is this the five month argument or the full decade?

• Happy 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

I think you have made a mistake with the units of time.

It should read "Is this the five month argument or the full decade?

I blame the dark energy.  Or is it dark matter? Perhaps the matter possesses energy?  Just off back to my black hole now...

6 hours ago, Flyboy said:

You haven't answered my questions.  What marina you are in ?  Could put up a copy of the T&C's please ?

He used to moor in Mercia marina, but dont know if he still does.

They require a valid licence.

2 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

He used to moor in Mercia marina, but dont know if he still does.

They require a valid licence.

So do Barton Turns, you have to produce a copy of your licence, insurance &  BSS  every year as proof.  This requirement came into force 2 years ago when a GRP cruiser caught fire which set fire to an adjacent narrowboat which was seriously damaged as was the pontoon. The GRP cruiser was completely destroyed  and sank and the narrowboat was seriously damaged. The cause of the fire was that the owner had left something cooking on the gas hob and then went shopping.  The GRP cruiser did not have any insurance.

Edited by Flyboy

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

If Higgs is still in the area, he has Shobnall marina (Jannels) in Burton which doesn't pay NAA, Crockers Farm outside Shardlow, which doesnt pay NAA, and Shardlow Marina itself on the Trent which doesnt pay NAA.

But that's beside the point, because he likes the marina he is currently in. 

I remember vitriolic rows on here about the legality of mooring permits, when they came in, which seemed to be in the same category of doomed barrack lawyerese. Same as all the t&c tantrums. And winter moorings. And whether 48 hours is the same as two days.

Oh, and that ****ing lightship...

Edited by Arthur Marshall

9 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

But that's beside the point, because he likes the marina he is currently in. 

I remember vitriolic rows on here about the legality of mooring permits, when they came in, which seemed to be in the same category of doomed barrack lawyerese. Same as all the t&c tantrums. And winter moorings. And whether 48 hours is the same as two days.

Oh, and that ****ing lightship...

You didn't need to asterix out the word "blinking".  Isn't that what lightships do?

• Haha 3

I will mention what I invariably do end up having to mention, in these discussions: a boat or mooring is not necessary to make sense of the argument. The argument is not made on a personal level, but it does effect me personally ; this is why coming to some agreement unilaterally with a marina does not serve the main purpose. 

These discussions do attract the opposition, and their' frustrated childish manner, following their' inability to resolve the issue in their' 'brains'. 

:)

Edited by Higgs

1 hour ago, Higgs said:

These discussions do attract the opposition, and their' frustrated childish manner, following their' inability to resolve the issue in their' 'brains'. 

:)

Is it surprising? They think that "their" has an apostrophe.