Unlicenced Boats

Flyboy

Featured Posts

Just now, Higgs said:

This is your assessment of what a licence is? A tool to gain access to a marina?

In the circumstances described by you, yes, that's all it is. The marina contract states that you must have a license, therefore without one you cannot have a mooring in that marina.  It's really very simple.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Higgs said:

I do. Not to the licence agreement I have with CRT

Unfortunately for your argument, the two cannot be separated.

Just now, Higgs said:

You base that on a statutory requirement?

How many more times?  It's a contractual requirement.

Just now, Higgs said:

I do. Not to the licence agreement I have with CRT

So the T&Cs which you have agreed to allow you to keep your boat off the canal and when you choose to move on to the canal the licence is serving its purpose.   Without the marina having its contract requiring you to have a licence you would need craning in each time you wanted to take advantage of your licence as they would not be connected to the canal.

2 minutes ago, Higgs said:

You base that on a statutory requirement?

You have been told umpteen times contract law.  Standard business practice.

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

Unfortunately for your argument, the two cannot be separated.

How many more times?  It's a contractual requirement.

Please have CRT make that a stipulation, the next time they update their own terms and conditions. They won't, they can't. 

Please have CRT make that a stipulation, the next time they update their own terms and conditions. They won't, they can't. 

They don't have to!!!    It is contractual with the marina.   How many times for heavens sake.

4 minutes ago, Jerra said:

So the T&Cs which you have agreed to allow you to keep your boat off the canal and when you choose to move on to the canal the licence is serving its purpose. 

So basically - it (a licence) has no purpose in the marina. That is what you're saying. 

Edited by Higgs

Whatever are you talking about now? We've been discussing your contractual obligations with the marina - that has nothing to do with CRT.

Just now, Higgs said:

So basically - it has no purpose in the marina. That is what you're saying. 

Of course it serves a purpose.  You cannot have a mooring without one.

8 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Whatever are you talking about now? We've been discussing your contractual obligations with the marina - that has nothing to do with CRT.

Of course it serves a purpose.  You cannot have a mooring without one.

I have never, in this current discussion, suggested that the terms and conditions of the marina must not be followed. 

Edited by Higgs

3 minutes ago, Higgs said:

So - I can't now have a mooring , without a licence. These licence terms and conditions are very well hidden. 

What license terms & conditions? We’re discussing your contractual obligations to the Marina. 

Just now, Higgs said:

So basically - it has no purpose in the marina. That is what you're saying. 

I spent 40 years teaching kids, many of whom had comprehension difficulties, I never came across a problem like you.

There are two separate issues which you seem to have difficulty getting your head round.   Your licence for being legally on the canal and your agreement with wherever you keep your boat.

If every time you had used your boat you had it craned out (or for that matter slipped) you wouldn't need a licence once off the water.   However the CRT could if they so wished make an agreement with the crane firm that they wouldn't crane in an unlicensed boat.

The situation is similar with marinas.  As you know for the vast majority of marinas to be allowed to have access to the canal, agree to various T&Cs.  One is that they will not allow boats to moor if not licenced.   In turn the Marina makes an agreement with the moorers that they aren't allowed to moor if not licenced.  Nothing to do with you and your agreement with CRT it is to do with you agreement with the marina.

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

Unfortunately he still thinks it isn’t. 

No, I don't.

It's clear the marina could ask you to drive a nail through your head, and it would be acceptable. It still doesn't make a licence a legal requirement. 

56 minutes ago, Higgs said:

Make up your mind. Am I supposed to be buying a licence for the benefit of the marina, or, to give me entitlement to use the canal . 

The licence is for your benefit, so you can moor in the marina and, should you wish, use the canal. Nothing else.

3 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

The licence is for your benefit, so you can moor in the marina and, should you wish, use the canal. Nothing else.

The licence is no benefit to me, if I don't wish to use the canal, don't want the option... 

Edited by Higgs

1 minute ago, Bobbybass said:

The answer here is simple WotEver.

The ' checkers' often do the marinas.

Leave this character be...in a Marina without a license.... and then let him enjoy the £150 fine that he can try and argue with CART. ??

Tough, I'm legal. 

12 minutes ago, Higgs said:

It still doesn't make a licence a legal requirement. 

I take it you don't accept contract law, if you did you would realise to fulfil your contract it is a legal requirement otherwise you are breaking the contract.

8 minutes ago, Higgs said:

The licence is no benefit to me, if I don't wish to use the canal, don't want the option... 

So take the boat to a pond, dig a pond in your garden or have it on land somewhere.