Unlicenced Boats

Flyboy

Featured Posts

I would also say that due to Covid, the licencing check system is probably not up to date as most of the office staff were furloughed for months and are mainly still home working based.

I would doubt that the licence payment system is linked directly to the online checker for data protection purposes, perhaps it hasnt been updated since March.

43 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Heritage?  Not steel?  

Falkirk Wheel? Anderton Lift?  Oh, I am so glad that the conservation fairies didn't build these out of poor quality French Oak.

I was told that this "no veneer " oak furniture is from the wind blown French timber from the severe weather a few years ago, exported to ? China ?  and imported as furniture. I have noticed that the pieces are getting smaller or painted, perhaps they are running out.

Ah, the shooting gallery?  Would you be brave enough to go in and ask?

No, its not so much the shooting, its the line dancing that scares me ?

................Dave

• Haha 1

If the figures are to be believed and I have no reason to not believe them then CRT are failing in their duty to chase these owners and / or remove their vessels from the water and selling them.

How can they continually carp on about reduced funding when they are failing to collect monies owed. It makes a mockery out of a system where the majority pay and a minority are seen to be getting away with it

Its the same on the roads with the number of uninsured vehicles but at least the DVLA are removing more untaxed vehicles than ever before since the paper disc was discontinued.

2 hours ago, Bobbybass said:

I'm in a licence free marina. If I'm going out I buy a three month license and then extend it if I need more. I declare the boat off water when I'm back. 

I told CART if I'm out and extend ..I have no way of printing it and they've said that's fine as display isn't essential. They've ' walkers,' don't look for a licence..they just enter your boat number.

When we booked into our marina we were told we still have to license our boat "as it's CRT water" How does a licence free marina work or is my marina wrong?

6 minutes ago, Paul Gwilliams said:

When we booked into our marina we were told we still have to license our boat "as it's CRT water" How does a licence free marina work or is my marina wrong?

Any marina on a canal and built in recent years is subject to the standard BW/CRT Network Access Agreement, under which the marina operator is required to ensure that boats moored there have a CRT licence. Older canal marinas may have different agreements (or none at all) and marinas on CRT rivers have riparian rights so no CRT licence is required until the boat is taken out of the marina.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Baldy1976 said:

You can buy an Explorer licence for £170 that gives you 30 days to use per year on the CRT waters at your own leisure.

Might be cheaper than the 3 month licence you mention......I learned this from a CRT phone conversation earlier this year.

I was told this year that CaRT don't issue 30 day explorer licences any more and ended up with a 3 month licence.

12 minutes ago, Paul Gwilliams said:

If the figures are to be believed and I have no reason to not believe them then CRT are failing in their duty to chase these owners and / or remove their vessels from the water and selling them.

How can they continually carp on about reduced funding when they are failing to collect monies owed. It makes a mockery out of a system where the majority pay and a minority are seen to be getting away with it

Its the same on the roads with the number of uninsured vehicles but at least the DVLA are removing more untaxed vehicles than ever before since the paper disc was discontinued.

I've spoken to one marina where they have a water feed that enters the marina meanng they don't take water from CRT and therefore moorings are not subject to having a CRT licence.

Edited by Rob-M
  • Greenie 1

I did read that the paperless road tax scheme was introduced to save money. What in fact happened in the years after its introduction was that licence revenue dropped by considerably more than the projected savings, resulting in a drop in income for HMG. I don't know what the present situation is.    

Edited by Ronaldo47

2 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

I did read that the paperless road tax scheme was introduced to save money. What in fact happened in the years after its introduction was that licence revenue dropped by considerably more than the projected savings. I don't know what the present situation is.    

I believe they are looking to bring the disc back as they did lose revenue and so many "honest" motorists were unfairly penalised for not renewing and finding their cars clamped in the early morning.

Perhaps they should do the same to unlicensed or abandoned boats! Remove their weed hatch covers or something of the like

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I accept your figures, I just find it remarkably high. I do wonder about the accuracy of CRT's checker website, though it should be linked to the licensing section. And your numbers wouldn't have included the boats without any number showing, either. 

If yiu recall, were they mostly on offside moorings? I know there was a boatyard on the t&m at Stoke that always seemed to have nothing but apparently abandoned and unlicensed boats, though last time I went by I saw some there with licenses. I always wondered how they got away with it.

I think that's called the Dolphin boatyard and the inlicenced boats belong to the them and have a trade licence arrangement with CaRT.

22 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Any marina on a canal and built in recent years is subject to the standard BW/CRT Network Access Agreement, under which the marina operator is required to ensure that boats moored there have a CRT licence. Older canal marinas may have different agreements (or none at all) and marinas on CRT rivers have riparian rights so no CRT licence is required until the boat is taken out of the marina.

This applies to our home marina which is fine by us.

About 4 years ago we did a check on moored boats with no licence disc displayed or with no number between Market Drayton and Stourport. There were about 40 unlicensed which we checked/confirmed on the online checker. We reported the findings to CRT for which we received an acknowledgment and a reply implying they were on the case. Two years ago we followed a similar trip and altho' we didn't make any serious notes, there did not appear much of a change. This leaves us with impression that CRT are not on the case.

Regretfully we haven't been able to cruise this year but in future we won't bother about unlicensed or unnumbered boats or corresponding with CRT. They will just continue taking their cut, which we don't mind.

Bit of a rant I suppose....

• Greenie 2

51 minutes ago, Paul Gwilliams said:

There's about 8 or 10 marinas that are fed by non CART waters.

I'm on a tiny river while in the marina...but canal when I leave.

They are like..gold dust ?

• Greenie 1

42 minutes ago, Bobbybass said:

There's about 8 or 10 marinas that are fed by non CART waters.

I'm on a tiny river while in the marina...but canal when I leave.

They are like..gold dust ?

I was amazed that the new North Kilworth marina culverted the stream running, rather than use it as a feed with a sluice out 

1 hour ago, Baldy1976 said:

You can buy an Explorer licence for £170 that gives you 30 days to use per year on the CRT waters at your own leisure.

Might be cheaper than the 3 month licence you mention......I learned this from a CRT phone conversation earlier this year.

For my size of boat the 30 day explorer  license is a little more than a 3 month river  license. 

But you are correct the 30 day explorer license  is worth  considering.   

9 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I was amazed that the new North Kilworth marina culverted the stream running, rather than use it as a feed with a sluice out 

Might be a matter of needing an EA licence to extract stream water. Or of CRT not wanting it entering the canal.

4 hours ago, Flyboy said:

imagine all the fun I can have with the money saved by a lower licence fee if all the non payers cough up.

Dream on. Higher licence takings could provide (1) more bonuses for the powers-that-be to trouser, and possibly (2) greater expenditure on maintaining the network.

1 hour ago, Paul Gwilliams said:

>>so many "honest" motorists were unfairly penalised for not renewing<<

That's not honest, even in inverted commas, and it's certainly not unfair. It is people failing to take responsibility. Every vehicle owner knows that VED has to be paid.  

Why should I, who renews his "car tax" promptly every year, subsidise those who cannot get their act together?

2 hours ago, Paul Gwilliams said:

Some marinas were originally pit/works (mills etc) wharfs or arms and were privately owned by the colliery/business.The private status of the water passed to the new owners when sold.

Most of the off side of the Oxford is the same,it was a condition of building the canal that the off-side landowners had mooring/development rights...Thats why its covered in moored boats!

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Paul Gwilliams said:

I believe they are looking to bring the disc back as they did lose revenue and so many "honest" motorists were unfairly penalised for not renewing and finding their cars clamped in the early morning.

Why would a car that is fully taxed end up being clamped?

What is this belief based on?

You punch a car reg into the relevant web page and it comes up as taxed or not in a second.

12 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

What is this belief based on?

The paper disc had an expiry date on it. When it disappeared the reminder in the windscreen disappeared. The renewal letter ends up in the pile of rubbish that Royal Mail like to stuff through the letter box and it gets missed. My sister did exactly this, she is disorganised, not a tax evader. They come round and clamp cars and stick massive public shaming notices on them - you must have seen it.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Cas446 said:

The paper disc had an expiry date on it. When it disappeared the reminder in the windscreen disappeared. The renewal letter ends up in the pile of rubbish that Royal Mail like to stuff through the letter box and it gets missed. My sister did exactly this, she is disorganised, not a tax evader. They come round and clamp cars and stick massive public shaming notices on them - you must have seen it.

It auto renews.

You dont have to remember.

Ps as you asked I have never ever seen a vehicle clamped or labeled as a result of evasion of ved, ever

Edited by The Happy Nomad

12 minutes ago, Cas446 said:

No it doesn't, tax not insurance. You can of course pay by direct debit which is exactly what she now does.

Errrrr, the discussion at that particular juncture was about vehicle tax or ved, which auto renews. Well mine does.

(Insurance can be set to auto renew too btw, if you are unable to use a calander, not a good idea if you want the best price though).

6 minutes ago, Cas446 said:

VED does not auto-renew unless you set up a direct debit.

Isn't that what people with at least half of a brain do?

22 minutes ago, big d said:

I still take mine to post office as it’s rural and counts towards keeping it statistically viable. I have a full brain 

Then no doubt your full cranial capacity will mean you don't need a tiny bit of paper in the corner of the windscreen to remind you to renew.