Does oil go off?

Featured Posts

Is oil really getting harder to find? I get mine delivered by Morris and its very easy to find.

More importantly, you are not doing enough boating ? I get mine in 25 litre barrels and they last less than a year.,

................Dave

• Greenie 1

9 hours ago, dmr said:

Is oil really getting harder to find? I get mine delivered by Morris and its very easy to find.

More importantly, you are not doing enough boating ? I get mine in 25 litre barrels and they last less than a year.,

................Dave

When we had the last NB it had a Lister LPWS4 which required an oil change every 100 hours, which equated to ~ once per month.

At 5 litres per time we used 30 litres per 'Summer'.

Current engines use 28 litres per engine so oil change is 56 litres.

9 hours ago, dmr said:

................Dave

So consuming more fossil fuels is now a good thing? I'm getting mixed messages ?

9 hours ago, dmr said:

The key word was “retail”, I can get any amount delivered. Quantity of boating is a known problem :(

9 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

why not buy it in 5lt containers so you can keep the unused ones sealed and clean https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383742645494?ViewItem=&item=383742645494

‘Cos it’s a bit cheaper in bulk! 

On 03/10/2020 at 23:35, dmr said:

................Dave

I find the 5 lt ones easier on the back, yes delivered to my door

image.png.0bc4357be1510c5b5c5cc9afc384231d.png

image.png.db533432ea8d60d333cdc226e5694c55.png

I found my local agricultural engineers are Morris oil stockists and were happy to order me a 25 litres of marine oil at very competitive price. 

I'd have to check the invoice but I think it was about £45+vat much less than I could find it online 

Edited by jonathanA
Add price

4 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

I found my local agricultural engineers are Morris oil stockists and were happy to order me a 25 litres of marine oil at very competitive price. 

I'd have to check the invoice but I think it was about £45+vat much less than I could find it online 

Do check and report back, I asked a Morris agent and it was more expensive than Morris online, but that was a car parts shop rather than a agricultural agent.

..............Dave

6 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I find the 5 lt ones easier on the back, yes delivered to my door

Thats a good way of doing it, I decant mine into a 5 litre pots and that's a tedious job and a back ache, and messy when it goes wrong. The oil that I am using is only available in 25l pots so it has to be done.

.................Dave

9 minutes ago, dmr said:

Thats a good way of doing it, I decant mine into a 5 litre pots and that's a tedious job and a back ache, and messy when it goes wrong. The oil that I am using is only available in 25l pots so it has to be done.

.................Dave

I use to do that, my local lawn mower dealer uses it and if its OK if I buy some when he is making an order but its hit and miss. Last lot I ordered cost me more because he wasnt ordering for himself

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Different type of oil. Now based on poly isobutene rather than normal lube oil base stock. Designed to burn very cleanly. Still doesn't go off though.

But its oil and it lubricates and burns ? It smells bloomin great innitt

10 hours ago, jonathanA said:

I use SUTO (Universal Tractor Oil)

Fully 'mineral oil' and 15/40 grade  and only £36 for 20 litres with free next day delivery.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MANNOL-20L-TS-1-SHPD-Mineral-Engine-Oil-15W-40-ACEA-E3-A3-B3-VOLVO-VDS-2/303164688915?

Mannol TS-1 SHPD is a special high quality Super High Performance Diesel (SHPD) engine oil with mineral basis for heavily loaded lorries and regular buses’ diesels. Provides safe engine combustion at extreme loads and perfect protection from the components wear-out and corrosion. Thanks to low congelation temperature provides easy cold cranking. Good detergent and dispersive properties provide perfect cleanness and safe lubrication of the engine components. Prolongs the interval between oil changes (according to the producer’s instructions). 

Corresponds with requirements / specifications / products:
SAE 15W-40
SHPD 
API CH-4/CG-4/CF-4/SL
ACEA E3/A3/B3/B4
MAN 3275
MB 228.3/229.1
VOLVO VDS-2

36 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Fully 'mineral oil' and 15/40 grade  and only £36 for 20 litres with free next day delivery.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MANNOL-20L-TS-1-SHPD-Mineral-Engine-Oil-15W-40-ACEA-E3-A3-B3-VOLVO-VDS-2/303164688915?

Mannol TS-1 SHPD is a special high quality Super High Performance Diesel (SHPD) engine oil with mineral basis for heavily loaded lorries and regular buses’ diesels. Provides safe engine combustion at extreme loads and perfect protection from the components wear-out and corrosion. Thanks to low congelation temperature provides easy cold cranking. Good detergent and dispersive properties provide perfect cleanness and safe lubrication of the engine components. Prolongs the interval between oil changes (according to the producer’s instructions). 

SAE 15W-40
SHPD 
API CH-4/CG-4/CF-4/SL
ACEA E3/A3/B3/B4
MAN 3275
MB 228.3/229.1
VOLVO VDS-2

That looks like good stuff. The original price of £61 looks about right. The reduced price of £36 with free postage is getting close to the "too good to be true" alarm. I would have some concerns about buying any automotive stuff with an Eastern European connection from eBay. Mannol look to be a good reputable company but eBay does have a lot of fake stuff these days. Do the container and labels look spot on? that is where a lot of fake stuff gives the game away?

.............Dave

10 minutes ago, dmr said:

That looks like good stuff. The original price of £61 looks about right. The reduced price of £36 with free postage is getting close to the "too good to be true" alarm. I would have some concerns about buying any automotive stuff with an Eastern European connection from eBay. Mannol look to be a good reputable company but eBay does have a lot of fake stuff these days. Do the container and labels look spot on? that is where a lot of fake stuff gives the game away?

.............Dave

There are several suppliers around the £40 - £43 mark.

Obviously I am unable to comment on its composition, it 'feels' oily and the engine seems to be OK. I guess it'd take 1000's of hours to show if it wasn't any good.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20L-FANFARO-GSX-15W-40-Universal-Mineral-Engine-Oil-API-SG-CD/202952384831?_

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXOL-UNIVERSAL-TRACTOR-TRANSMISSION-OIL-UTTO-20-L-HIGH-SPECIFICATION-BRAND-NAME/272081027320?

Marine grade Volvo Diesel approved : £48

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXOL-ENGINE-OIL-15W40-ACEA-E7-PENTA-MARINE-DIESEL-OIL-VOLVO-VDS3-APPROVED-20-Ltr/351199111854?

48 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

SAE 15W-40
SHPD 
API CH-4/CG-4/CF-4/SL
ACEA E3/A3/B3/B4
MAN 3275
MB 228.3/229.1
VOLVO VDS-2

I’ve been considering buying one of these barrels for awhile now. It’s a good deal. 

I always thought for some reason they were old batches being sold off. 

I guess the 20 litres ain’t that big and don’t take up much room and Icould attach one of them plungers to the top to make life easy when taking oil from the barrel.