Anyone tell us what make / model this is pls?

Haraldur

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Tonka said:

Very similar to a Petter AB1W which I had but was water cooled. Did they do an air cooled equivalent for dumper trucks. The AB1W was 6.6 hp with a 9 pint fuel tank. 

Yes. Available as both air and water cooled.

Definitely a Petter A range engine. Could possibly be fitted with the SOM gearbox but not to clear in the picture. The SOM gearbox was an Italian made box.

Revs to 3000, very very noisy. Used for portable generators mostly, like for  powering Kango hammers (even more noise) . But light weight and compact for a diesel. Suitable in an emergency at sea in a lifeboat?. I wouldn't like to put up with one  going down the cut for hours. Too small for dumpers - they had Petter AVA and PH 1 or 2.

8 minutes ago, billh said:

Revs to 3000, very very noisy. Used for portable generators mostly, like for  powering Kango hammers (even more noise) . But light weight and compact for a diesel. Suitable in an emergency at sea in a lifeboat?. I wouldn't like to put up with one  going down the cut for hours. Too small for dumpers - they had Petter AVA and PH 1 or 2.

The one in the photo is a marinised air cooled version. They would have been sold for use in small open fishing boats and other similar vessels. Certainly not meant for narrowboats.

• 1 month later...

Yes,  it is an 9uair cooled Petter A series engine.  Not enough info to tell whether it is an AA, or an AC. (Both Indirect injection)  It is not an AD ( Direct injection) because  it has the oil plunger for cold starting.

If it really is 6HP then it must be an AC because the AA did not get over 5 HP.

N

Edited by BEngo

38 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Yes,  it is an 9uair cooled Petter A series engine.  Not enough info to tell whether it is an AA, or an AC. (Both Indirect injection)  It is not an AD ( Direct injection) because  it has the oil plunger for cold starting.

If it really is 6HP then it must be an AC because the AA did not get over 5 HP.

N

Could also be an AB1.

Thought there had  to be an AB 1 but there are no details in my LP Technical handbook and I am not going into the loft to look for the Petter A series workshop manual.  ?

I had an AA on a 5 kVA generator once upon a time; noisy b@gger at 3000 rpm, but not anywhere near man enough for full power, so swapped it out for an AD for much easier starting and the extra couple of horsepower.  Even more  bloody noisy though.

N

4 hours ago, BEngo said:

Thought there had  to be an AB 1 but there are no details in my LP Technical handbook and I am not going into the loft to look for the Petter A series workshop manual.  ?

I had an AA on a 5 kVA generator once upon a time; noisy b@gger at 3000 rpm, but not anywhere near man enough for full power, so swapped it out for an AD for much easier starting and the extra couple of horsepower.  Even more  bloody noisy though.

N

The reason there are no details could be that it was not a Lister Petter engine it is a Petter engine. The only Petter engines included in the technical handbook would have been the engines in production at the time of the merger. I take it the handbook is the thickish one with the black cover.

4 hours ago, BEngo said:

N

Save you going into the loft here is a link to the workshop manual. https://www.winget.co.uk/document/PETTER A RANGE WORKSHOP MANUAL.pdf