Huddersfield Narrow leak repaired

jake_crew

Featured Posts

24 minutes ago, jake_crew said:

Well with the last shutdown during the beautiful Spring, perhaps they expect people to be out boating a bit longer into the Autumn.

There certainly won't be a water shortage problem !

Certainly a tad damp for the last two days round these parts :o

1 hour ago, jake_crew said:

Well with the last shutdown during the beautiful Spring, perhaps they expect people to be out boating a bit longer into the Autumn.

There certainly won't be a water shortage problem !

Your'e kidding!

They may have fixed lock 29E,but lock 1E is still padlocked and passage is by appointment due to a hugh leak in the pound between locks 1 and 2E.

On my last passage back through lock 1E,there were 3 boats waiting to go down and 1 waiting to go up.

The poor CRT bloke had to let water down from 2 or 3 locks above and dash back to unlock.

You could see the water level rising,and almost as quickly see it dropping again.

The university do take water from the first pound for some system or other,but they have been doing this for years and I have never seen the pound between locks 1 and 2E as low as it is now.

3 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

Your'e kidding!

They may have fixed lock 29E,but lock 1E is still padlocked and passage is by appointment due to a hugh leak in the pound between locks 1 and 2E.

On my last passage back through lock 1E,there were 3 boats waiting to go down and 1 waiting to go up.

The poor CRT bloke had to let water down from 2 or 3 locks above and dash back to unlock.

You could see the water level rising,and almost as quickly see it dropping again.

The university do take water from the first pound for some system or other,but they have been doing this for years and I have never seen the pound between locks 1 and 2E as low as it is now.

From what i gather they take it to use in cooling for the data centre. They assured me in an email that they put back what they take out, but have since blanked me when i asked where it got put back as i'm pretty sure its a different pound and possibly even into the same pound as the marina?

3 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

From what i gather they take it to use in cooling for the data centre. They assured me in an email that they put back what they take out, but have since blanked me when i asked where it got put back as i'm pretty sure its a different pound and possibly even into the same pound as the marina?

On the lock landing for lock 1E,there is a metal grill on the canal wall.That I think is where the water returns.

You are right about it going into the pound below lock 1E.

However,as a regular user of the HNC, the pound is now so low as to be unusable.I have always been able to get through in the past,but now only a paddleboard would get through the first pound.

I frequently go up a few locks up the narrow for a lunchtime pint,but having to book to use lock 1 so that water can be run down,and ring again a few hours later to come back,I am sure will make me lose my popularity.

It has spoilt the pleasure of going for a cruise when the mood takes me.

• Greenie 1
  • Sad 2

On 03/10/2020 at 09:37, jake_crew said:

Well done lads and lasses.

The more I look into canal engineering 200 years ago, the less I think clay was used extensively. The more usual lining seems to have been suitable earth mixed with small stones, with several layers being consolidated to create a waterproof lining some three feet thick. Clay could have been used where it was found close to the site, but because of its weight it would have been difficult/expensive to transport clay any distance before canals were built. With suitable soil and a high water table, a canal would hold water without much work to make it watertight. However, following the opening of a canal, clay could be moved fairly easily from canalside clay pits, so repairs done after a canal opened are more likely to use clay.

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

That's a suspiciously smooth round hole to have been formed by erosion of a small leak to become a larger leak. I think something else has been going on.

a badger with an aqualung perhaps? Brocques Cousteau?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 3