Is this an air lock?

Featured Posts

Hello all. We normally keep the integral water tank well topped up but think it recently got very low and the water coming out of the taps wasn't clear. Filled up at the next opportunity but since then the water pump running has been louder than usual and the water isn't running from the taps as well as it should, not quite a trickle, but not running properly.

The hot water is still hot and cold still cold. Water pump filter is clear. 

Is this likely to be an air lock? If so, how do we clear it?  

Thank you for any suggestions

Was the water pump running dry after the tank emptied and if so for how long? Some don't like it and it may have been damaged. Any air in the pipes should chase out if you just open the taps. An air lock is unlikely. Problem may just be crud that got through the re pump filter and in to the pump, or elsewhere. Some taps, especially kitchen taps have integral filters too, which may be clarted up with crud from the tank.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

Hi, thanks for the replies.

The pump wasn't really running on empty at all, we only realised it was low because of the colour of the water coming through and the flow has only changed since we refilled.

The flow is low from the bathroom taps and the toilet flush too. 

The water pump seemed to be running fine when I had the pump outlet off. The pump is also running on once the taps have been switched off which is what made me think it was an air lock. 

How do I back flush?? 

I had the same problem on one of my boats. I removed the pump and found the mild steel pipe coming out of the integral tank had rusted internaly to such an extent that it had all but completely cut the flow of water off from the tank. I capped it and drilled a whole through the tank and fitted a plastic pipe and all was back to normal.

Edited by mrsmelly

? 

Well, hubby investigated the pipe from the tank and whilst it wasn't rusted, it was blocked with aforementioned crud. Poked it clear whilst reenacting the boy with his finger in the dyke (not that sort) and it's now sorted.  For now anyway until it gunks up again.

Thanks for comments.

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 2

3 hours ago, WotEver said:
5 hours ago, dor said:

THIS is an air lock ...

image.jpeg.ab12bb49219ade46a70a95a661abc53a.jpeg

BSS failure. Evidence of heat damage to one side...

Good job high and low level air vents are only a BSS advisory. Especially in orbit, when up and down are arbitrary and you need the air that is already inside to not die. Just imagine the millions you'd have to pay for the BSS examiner to come out again for a retest.

3 hours ago, Chris T said:

?

Well, hubby investigated the pipe from the tank and whilst it wasn't rusted, it was blocked with aforementioned crud. Poked it clear whilst reenacting the boy with his finger in the dyke (not that sort) and it's now sorted.  For now anyway until it gunks up again.

Thanks for comments.

Maybe a flush out

When I had a boat, I had this problem. I found I needed to empty the tank, open it up and clean out the loose bits of rust that had collected inside. Eventually, they break down and move to the outlet blocking the water supply to the pump. I'm ashamed to say I did not de-rust and repaint the tank - I left that until I could get a round tuit. That day did not arrive before I retired from boating. Perhaps that's what Chris T needs to do.

I've found the topic I started when I had this problem: Here

Edited by Paul Evans
To add a bit