Rose and Castle pair of hotel boats

noone

Featured Posts

That's the pair!..Willow Wren had Tsarina and Tsarevna and Tranquil Rose at the time.I have found these three still on the system,but not Rose and Castle.

I know one of them had a dodgy bottom back then,it was fixed with fibre-glass because the steel was too thin to weld...I have a photo somewhere of the boat half-slipped for the repair.

Thanks for the picture of the pair,I just had a flash back to my early twenties!...

Might this be the motor?

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/4735338

Moored at Burbage Wharf K&A.  There is a new huge (and very tasteful) house recently built there, I believe by the owner of Oxfordshire Hire boats, who I also believe worked a hotel boat (or pair) at some time in his past.

.................Dave

2 hours ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

There were two pairs called Rose & Castle. The first pic Ray has posted is not the pair that operated on the Mon & Brec as they were full length.

Correct. You'll see in the photos that Leggers has posted that the pair on the Mon & Brec were called Rose of Brecon and Abergavenny Castle.

On 04/04/2020 at 11:06, PeterScott said:

Rose and Castle hotel pair in July 1971 near Hawkesbury Junction, Oxford Canal. These were run by, or associated with, WillowWrenHC at the time, iirc.

L00185a.jpg

On 19/09/2020 at 20:57, PeterScott said:

On this day in 2005  Heyford Southern Oxford ... hotel boat moored on towingpath

L1141_20050919_0240a.jpg.6df75851e159a35dd396bc218b1fba23.jpg

On 20/09/2020 at 16:22, PeterScott said:

L1141_20050919_0237a.jpg.97fd0f6a26738bf0e5429b733b6cbb41.jpg[On 19 Sept 2005] ... the hotel boat had stopped operating about that time, having worked in those colours at least since the earlier picture in 1971. Same colour scheme also still used for the Oxfordshire Narrowboats hireboat operation. The Nice Mr Google found a TripAdvisor entry from 2007 here saying "For many years and many trips, [FBW of Brisbane] travelled on the Rose and Castle with David Dare, including 12 days on the Thames. Every trip was wonderful with great service, food, attention, knowledable information, great assistance & friendliness. Every night, we would moor near a pub in a delightful village where we could visit the church, village green etc.... family circumstances forced David onto land where he now runs a Marina and self-hire boatyard on the Oxford Canal."

The shorter pair were Rose of Brecon and Abergavenny Castle built to run on B&A and for a number of seasons ran on the main system - problems on B&A iirc.  Also the second Rose is a replacement hull with steel top rather than wooden in the original. Same colours.

On 06/12/2015 at 22:16, pete harrison said:

ROSE OF BRECON's hull was certainly built by Hancock & Lane, Daventry and I am pretty sure ABERGAVENNY CASTLE's was as well. Both hulls had wooden cabins built by 'Willow Wren', Rugby and I have the build date of both boats as 1975 and originally named ROSE and CASTLE - but this caused confusion with their full length hotel pair of the same names. 'Willow Wren' sold ROSE OF BRECON and ABERGAVENNY CASTLE in 1984, but they continued to operated as hotel boats for at least another 14 years.

On 07/12/2015 at 12:06, emm said:

I ran Rose of Brecon and Abergavenny Castle for a season on the Mon and Brec in 1993 the final season that Chris and Andy Newman owned them. ...

Edited by PeterScott
format

You must have worked with Rob Jones?

I crewed on t and t in 1992, ran Rose B in 1993 and ran Tranquil Rose in 1994.

There is a post on here somewhere with pictures of Abergavenny Castle. I don’t know how to link it though.

13 minutes ago, emm said:

You must have worked with Rob Jones?

I crewed on t and t in 1992, ran Rose B in 1993 and ran Tranquil Rose in 1994.

There is a post on here somewhere with pictures of Abergavenny Castle. I don’t know how to link it though.

Rob!..been trying to remember his name,lol...Thats him in the red t shirt on one of the pics I posted..I remember a guy called Tom who skippered t+t,and there was a young couple who skippered tranquil rose,Saw her on the k+a quite a few years back,she still has the same 3 pot lister in her.

12 hours ago, John Brightley said:

Correct. You'll see in the photos that Leggers has posted that the pair on the Mon & Brec were called Rose of Brecon and Abergavenny Castle.

Yes,they were indeed called Rose of Brecon and Abergavenny Castle,I had no idea there was another similar pair!.

Just now, Leggers do it lying down said:

Yes,they were indeed called Rose of Brecon and Abergavenny Castle, I had no idea there was another similar pair!.

Neither had I. 

As the saying goes, "Every day is a school day."

Edited by Ray T

Castle was sold by Dave Dare to what is Away4Awhile in Brum.  It was converted into a restaurant trip boat with a lot of expensive catering kit installed. 

Rose was teamed up with butty Karna Taka, operated by Hanna and John as Bywater Boats.[Hanna's dad Steve still operates a horse drawn trip boat on the Montgomery Canal] Then they had a new motor boat Kerala and Rose retired to where she is now on the K&A.  Hanna and John sold the pair on as their family was growing by 2 youngsters.

26 minutes ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

Rob!..been trying to remember his name,lol...Thats him in the red t shirt on one of the pics I posted..I remember a guy called Tom who skippered t+t,and there was a young couple who skippered tranquil rose,Saw her on the k+a quite a few years back,she still has the same 3 pot lister in her.

Yeah Tom Garrod and Lucy I think skippered t and t and Tom and Jules had TR in 91. I worked with a Tom and Jules on t and t in 92 with another girl called Carole who I think also crewed rose b in 91.
Tranquil Rose had a raw water cooled lister which was a nightmare through the weedy section on the k and a!

15 minutes ago, emm said:

Yeah Tom Garrod and Lucy I think skippered t and t and Tom and Jules had TR in 91. I worked with a Tom and Jules on t and t in 92 with another girl called Carole who I think also crewed rose b in 91.
Tranquil Rose had a raw water cooled lister which was a nightmare through the weedy section on the k and a!

Tom and Jules i remember,had some fun with them!.The memories come flooding back!!..lol...Remember when you had to stop and pay to get onto the k and a !?

30 minutes ago, rustynewbery said:

Castle was sold by Dave Dare to what is Away4Awhile in Brum.  It was converted into a restaurant trip boat with a lot of expensive catering kit installed. 

Rose was teamed up with butty Karna Taka, operated by Hanna and John as Bywater Boats.[Hanna's dad Steve still operates a horse drawn trip boat on the Montgomery Canal] Then they had a new motor boat Kerala and Rose retired to where she is now on the K&A.  Hanna and John sold the pair on as their family was growing by 2 youngsters.

Thanks for the info.Good to hear they are both still floating!?.Shame they got separated though. ?

Ive got a picture of them going past Barbridge would be about early to mid 80's, not sure which pair though will have to dig the picture out.

Edit:- Its the Willow Wren pair.

Edited by Johnboy770

• 1 year later...
On 09/03/2022 at 15:14, syd said:

Are there still many hotel boats on the canals ?

I haven't seen any for many years now.

Colecraft are buidling one at the moment. They called it "a residential trip boat"