Pressure Wash paintwork (above waterline)

Abroad

Featured Posts

I'd go a bit careful with the pressure washer - anyway, how mucky can the sides really be?

As regards the Bullitt - I've used this, Meguiars and Autoglym Super Resin Polish, all with some success, but the immediate effect is, sadly, pretty short lived. Too much hard work for at best only up to 6 weeks (Autoglym) of reward is my assessment.  I'd be delighted to learn that there is a long lasting solution, but I fear that, if not regularly protected, alkyd-based boat paint is damaged by UV and once the chalky bloom is set in, it's there for good.

12 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

I've used a pressure washer a few times, especially on the non-slip areas, but always set to its lowest pressure because if the paint isn't perfect (and it never is) then it is easy to blast bits off.

Me too - without a pressure washer the non-slip paint requires a lot of scrubbing. As long as the end of the lance isn't too close to the paint it should be fine. I take the approach that if the paint comes off with a bit of light pressure washing then it wasn't stuck on well enough anyway and needs repainting.

• Greenie 1

31 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

You risk losing paint, its hand applied enamel  probably, not factory applied 2 pack automotive baked on a car.

Just wash it and polish it, T-cut if oxidised on the surface.

When I used T-Cut on my boat, the original bottle, dating back to tbe 90's was fine. When it ran out I bought another bottle, which produced small balls of cut paint.

I then bought some Farecla G3 which s a far better product.

14 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Me too - without a pressure washer the non-slip paint requires a lot of scrubbing. As long as the end of the lance isn't too close to the paint it should be fine. I take the approach that if the paint comes off with a bit of light pressure washing then it wasn't stuck on well enough anyway and needs repainting.

I find Aldi's caravan cleaner and a Viledo mop gets the dirt of my cream sanded roof easily enough.

Edited by cuthound
To insert spaces between merged posts

I've used a pressure washer on my boat quite a few times never had any trouble, unless the paint was already flaking. If you make sure you wet the area that you are going to clean, on non slip paint before cleaning, you will find it easier to get the dirt off then keep the next area wet as well.

• Greenie 1

On 02/10/2020 at 17:22, cuthound said:

I find Aldi's caravan cleaner and a Viledo mop gets the dirt of my cream sanded roof easily enough.

It depends on the type of non-slip. Ours is so grippy that any type of cloth or other fabric (such as a mop) that goes near it immediately donates a load of removable fluff to it. It also grabs dirt and holds on to it with grim determination.

55 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

It depends on the type of non-slip. Ours is so grippy that any type of cloth or other fabric (such as a mop) that goes near it immediately donates a load of removable fluff to it. It also grabs dirt and holds on to it with grim determination.

Saw a chap using one of these with canal water and the roof was looking good  

https://www.screwfix.com/p/worx-hydroshot-22bar-20v-1-5ah-li-ion-powershare-cordless-portable-pressure-washer/503hv

image.png.42976034b67dc6250124d9c1b434f7be.png

• Greenie 1

I think a bucket and cloth and mild detergent is more use than a pressure washer for cleaning a painted surface . I have jet washed car paint work and is good for cleaning mud off but the car paintwork dries dirty.

For people who don't like polishing but would like a surface that water will bead on, try Demon shine as a rinse aid  ....... spray on the wet surface after washing  and wipe off using a microfibre  cloth...

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/carplan-demon-shine-spray-on-shine-1l/p/0491000?gclid=Cj0KCQjwwuD7BRDBARIsAK_5YhWrxzw87u8Hv84qkTOXzUo-taehZgSwHxOiDMLktMbvi-ZIFpB73z0aAl_WEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

........although if the paint has been allowed to  fade / go chalky it will not make it shiny.

• Greenie 1

On 02/10/2020 at 17:22, cuthound said:

When I used T-Cut on my boat, the original bottle, dating back to tbe 90's was fine. When it ran out I bought another bottle, which produced small balls of cut paint.

I then bought some Farecla G3 which s a far better product.

Would that be any good for cutting/polishing the flies out of my painted cabin sides? I left them on for about a month to let the paint fully harden and went over the cabin sides yesterday with a wet towel to wipe them off. They've left quite deep marks in the paint.

Edited by blackrose

3 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Would that be any good for cutting/polishing the flies out of my painted cabin sides? I left them on for about a month to let the paint fully harden and went over the cabin sides yesterday with a wet towel to wipe them off. They've left quite deep marks in the paint.

Worth a try on a small area. I have successfully polished out fairly deep scratches with it.

It used to only be available at motor factors but Amazon sell It now.

It comes in a range of pervasiveness, but G3 is a good overall grade.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/s?k=farecla&ref=nb_sb_noss

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Thanks. There seem to be quite a few variants of the G3 grade. Any particular recommendation?

This is what I have used.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Farecla-Rubbing-Compound-Regular-Polishing/dp/B0728G8C29/ref=mp_s_a_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=farecla&qid=1601801645&sr=8-7

Dirt really needs disturbing which a pressure washer at a reasonably low pressure for fear of blasting paint off won't really do, lazy method.   A low water flow from a hose pipe and sponge will disturb dirt.  I agree a pressure washer is better on the rough non slip bits.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1

Folk here bugger around disturbing the peace with the racket of pressure washers for hours on end when it could have been done quietly and better with the hose and sponge method in a fraction of the time.

Edited by bizzard

2 hours ago, bizzard said:

Folk here bugger around disturbing the peace with the racket of pressure washers for hours on end when it could have been done quietly and better with the hose and sponge method in a fraction of the time.

I agree - have seen and heard people spending hours jet washing  . And a jet washer in a marina can result in spraying  the muck onto the boat next door . 

The chief officer bought a twist mop recently - very useful - use the morning dew so not even a bucket required  and the mop gets most of the spider marks off with little effort.

3 hours ago, bizzard said:

I guess you could make the same argument for not using pressure washers for cleaning anything. In which case one wonders what they are for?

To be honest I've never had a problem using pressure washers at full pressure. I'm not precious about my paint - as I said, if it comes off with a household pressure washer with the head of the lance held a couple of feet away from the surface then it wasn't properly adhered anyway and needed repainting.  

Unless I'm cleaning the bottom of the boat I certainly wouldn't spend hours pressure washing - on the contrary in my experience pressure washers speed up the job and get rid of the dirt far batter than a hose a sponge. Others will have different views of course, but I wouldn't tell anyone else how to clean their own boat