Chesterfield Canal

LadyG

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Don't expect it to be better once you get up the Trent to Nottingham. The canal is a good six inch or more down and the moorings heavily silted and locks leaking heavily with paddle gear broken.

How does that work considering the Beeston and Nottingham canals are fed directly from the Trent and are pretty much an artificial channel of a river?

I cruised both ways throughout a month ago and there was plenty of water. One defective paddle at Meadow Lane which did result in difficulty in the lock making a level. How far did you actually go?

JP

1 minute ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

No we didn't head down to the lock, the weed looked a bit thick although it isn't a weed that wraps around the propeller so we probably could have done. I didn't fancy the reverse back though:unsure: (apparently you only need to get to the junction for the IWA Silver Prop)

A wise decision.  I reversed in. Duck weed was fine, blanket weed less so. S blisteringly hot day. Photos here

https://scholargypsy.org.uk/2020/08/14/summer-trip-2-horseway-and-welches-dam/

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Still-waters said:

Understand Lock gate at Missenden now mended so were planning our escape following an interesting protracted stay on what is a loverly Canal with character .

Yep, looking at stopages up north, looks like I'l be going south, next week.

Edited by LadyG

On 21/10/2020 at 07:31, Still-waters said:

Understand Lock gate at Missenden now mended so were planning our escape following an interesting protracted stay on what is a loverly Canal with character .

Lovely to meet you at West Stockwith and we hope you have got "home" safe and sound.

It was Misterton by the way, Missenden is the Great place in The Chilerns ;)

Now another hurdle to be overcome, just spoke to Mick Ogden, he's been in hospital recently, no longer selling diesel, that's the end of it.

I can get gas oil at Bawtry (5 miles) mid week only, but I have no transport and would need two trips as I only have 30l capacity.

CRT are aware, but did not mention it to me when I asked about  the West Stockwith locking.

I won't go on the Trent without plenty of diesel, can anyone advise me of diesel at Torksey?

Tx

Jo