Chesterfield Canal

LadyG

Featured Posts

23 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The Chesterfield is shallow. It took me two goes to get to the current connected limit, the first being stopped by weed.

On the diesel front, do you have a way of measuring fuel level? A dip stick is the most used for narrowboats. Next time you add fuel try measuring either depth, from the bottom, or distance from the top of the surface to work out how many litres to an inch your tank is. Then you can make a dip stick. Mine is set up to measure the quantity needed to fill it. Lower the dip stick in till you see the ripples as it just touches the surface, read the level off. I know that 225l to fill will cause the engine to stop, after accidentally doing just that. The pick up on most tanks is a short distance from the bottom, so water and gunge is less likely to be drawn in to the engine, so the engine can stop even with diesel still in the tank. Sorry about the mixed units. You can calculate imperial gallons per inch, or litres per centimetre, or firkins per furlong, or any other unit you like.

The locks from Worksop up are unusually narrow for narrow locks. Jams are more likely with anything else getting in there. The replica cuckoo wooden boat was even built at 6'10" just to reduce the risk of problems on these.

Jen

Yep, I emptied tank a year ago, and have a stick, I think it has 30 l, at about 4 inches, and I don't want to go lower, so need to add fuel when available from garage. I added 24l, that's just to get to Retford....

Seemed to be about an inch, will try calibration.

Edited by LadyG

7 hours ago, LadyG said:

Tx, I don't think there will be a fuel boat, fuel is at West Stockwith, but canal is closed at Misterton and it may be a major stopage. Once I get to ALDI Retford I can order coal, logs and gas, just in case I get stuck here all winter, preferably not at ALDI, but at least it has 24 hour cctv, is well lit,  and  good access to the rest of the UK by rail.

There is a proper Italian restuarant, and a proper pub , other than that, Retford looks like many other towns.

I bought a narrowboat because I wanted to travel Yorks, Lancashire canal, and Cambridgeshire,I think reality is sinking in, travelling the inland waterways is desperately slow, this would be acceptable if I was free to zip about by rail, but with the Covid problems, I am a bit wary of that ..   google 

Margaret Ferrier 

Have you researched some of the Cambridgeshire waterways?:huh: This is what one of the waterways looked like back in August....

IMG_9447.JPG.c26f56a4a0dae228bcc6b6c1b90fee92.JPG

.....and we dreamt of travelling at 1.5mph, about 0.8mph was all we could manage:unsure: (Reach Lode if anyone's interested)

• Greenie 1

If you can get to Misterton (in case you didn't explore on the way up)  - the place is pleasant enough place to wait  with a CO-OP and a good butchers a stroll from the canal. But no diesel. Walkable to West Stockwith.  Perhaps Mick might bring you some diesel if you ask him nicely. https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/directory/165-mick-ogden

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2656645

• Happy 1

6 hours ago, LadyG said:

I am OK dealing with random problems, but I am fed up with those which are caused by neglect, minor things which could easily be sorted.

Firefightibg problems just means callout after callout and must be expensive, and certainly inefficient use of resources,

16 minutes ago, haggis said:

If a gate is prevented from fully opening by something floating - like poly bottles,  they can often be persuaded to move out  from behind the gate by  partly shutting the gate and opening it again..  This doesn't work with something like a brick but is a good ploy for floating things.

haggis

It looked normal, but it's difficult to see, being deep and under a low bridge, seemed OK, but opened a bit, as I went thru, I was one third in when I stopped, I assumed I was aground, so letting a bit of water thru probably made It worse

It was not one bottle, it was a mass of stuff

Edited by LadyG

12 minutes ago, LadyG said:

It looked normal, but it's difficult to see, being deep and under a low bridge, seemed OK, but opened a bit, as I went thru, I was one third in when I stopped, I assumed I was aground, so letting a bit of water thru probably made It worse

It was not one bottle, it was a mass of stuff

Poly bottles can behave a bit like sheep ? When one escapes from behind a gate, others will follow.  If they don't wiggling the gate will help. 

Sorry you seem to be having a rotten time on the Chesterfield and perhaps making your way to a canal with fewer locks might help you get to grips with this inland boating lark. 

haggis

Edited by haggis

Hi Lady G, were in similar situation. We were due back on the Trent tomorrow. We did only do 1/2 the Chesterfield as were keen, in light of CV19 etc, to get closer to home soon (no chance now!) also the upper part was closed then. So we plan to take "advantage" of the extended stay to now venture as far as able then we hope back when the lock is sorted. We were also were considering the coal and diesel situation.  

15 hours ago, LadyG said:

To get me out of the lock two men wound both paddles, to raise level by a foot, normal opening had rocked boat, but it took a power shower type of flow to work, obviously I had made things worse by my own efforts, I did let a bit of water through, without success.

I had no probs on broad canals, it was all push button stuff, and lots of folks to help.

Im on the Chesterfield canal, it's not where you think it is :)

I know exactly where it is,Ive been on the water for over 30 years!...just trying to be helpful ?

• Happy 1

15 hours ago, MartynG said:

If you can get to Misterton (in case you didn't explore on the way up)  - the place is pleasant enough place to wait  with a CO-OP and a good butchers a stroll from the canal. But no diesel. Walkable to West Stockwith.  Perhaps Mick might bring you some diesel if you ask him nicely. https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/directory/165-mick-ogden

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2656645

I tried that number but it's not available, will try google....

I've got to go do some other things this week, and need a new starter battery, so ALDI moorings in Retford is my first call,

UPDATE 

07591436308 is Mick Ogdens Diesel number, I have not got through , yet.

Edited by LadyG

15 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Have you researched some of the Cambridgeshire waterways?:huh: This is what one of the waterways looked like back in August....

IMG_9447.JPG.c26f56a4a0dae228bcc6b6c1b90fee92.JPG

.....and we dreamt of travelling at 1.5mph, about 0.8mph was all we could manage:unsure: (Reach Lode if anyone's interested)

Here's where I went in Cambs. this summer (Horseway)DSC_0224.JPG.9fc8128eaea82d72b227c65548614091.JPG

Sorry I can't help with diesel, the only source on the canal is at West Stockwith but if you can make contact with Chesterfield Canal Trust they usually bring diesel for their trip boats in big plastic cannisters. They may be willing to lend cannisters and, you might just be able to tap into a friendly person who is willing to fetch you some if they have a suitable vehicle. Although it wouldn't come under the normal heading of volunteering their volunteers are always keen to ensure visitors enjoy the canal when they visit.

With regard to the depth of the canal, yes it is shallow but if you stick to the channel you will do better. Python trogs up and down the entire length of the canal without getting stuck (providing she has an experienced steerer at the helm) she is 3' 3" draught. It helps on the wriggly bits that she is only 50' long so they don't have to cut corners but keep it slow and in the channel and you will be fine. It's so unlikely another boat will be coming the other way it's safe to stay there.

You can get deliveries to Osberton. Any delivery driver just needs to say they are delivering to your boat and head for "The Fisherman's Car Park" which is the triangle of grass beyond the by-wash below the lock. 

We are also impacted by the stoppage. We should have reached our mooring at Clayworth yesterday and been home now catching up with washing. Instead we headed up The Fossdyke and got the twin tub out. We have a ton and a half of Lister JP2 Laundry drier operating in our engine 'ole. 

I am very sorry to say The Chesterfield Canal is suffering significantly from a lack of cohesive maintenance schedule and the things that are happening (or not happening) no longer even cause me to raise my eyebrows at the dreadful reactive maintenance that CRT seem to think is a cost effective way of keeping the canal I love open. 

The crane barge is due at Misterton Top on 12th of October and it's been suggested it's a week's work. We are going to spend 3 weeks pootling around The Witham but I am not holding my breath that it will be fixed a week after the crane barge arrives, even if it is, by that time the river could be in flood or we could have another Covid-19 Lockdown.

I will only believe we will actually get any use from our mooring that we paid for in March when we actually get there.

Meanwhile if anyone can recommend some secure mooring with electric hook up on The Witham for a Plan C just in case.....

15 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Mick changed his number, I don't know which is hs current one:

Or 

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, cheshire~rose said:

Meanwhile if anyone can recommend some secure mooring with electric hook up on The Witham for a Plan C just in case.....

Visitors Moorings on the 'top side' of Bardney Lock have 'leccy & water'.

Cannot think of any others.

IMG_20140503_101657.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Visitors Moorings on the 'top side' of Bardney Lock have 'leccy & water'.

Cannot think of any others.

IMG_20140503_101657.jpg

Thank you - I don't think we are going to be dumping the boat on any visitor moorings for winter so we may have to see whether she can rattle about among the plastic in the marina 

Let's hope the stoppage is only 3 weeks 

1 minute ago, cheshire~rose said:

Thank you - I don't think we are going to be dumping the boat on any visitor moorings for winter so we may have to see whether she can rattle about among the plastic in the marina 

Let's hope the stoppage is only 3 weeks 

They have long-term moorings between the VMs and the lock - maybe one available for the Winter, or, just a few weeks ?

15 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Very good.  How far down did you go??

Everywhere navigable for our boat, as far as Holme on the Levels coming from Mullicourt Aqueduct (including High Lode) and everywhere Navigable on the Ouse, Wissey,Lark, Little Ouse and the three Lodes. It was an interesting Summer:rolleyes:

12 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Everywhere navigable for our boat, as far as Holme on the Levels coming from Mullicourt Aqueduct (including High Lode) and everywhere Navigable on the Ouse, Wissey,Lark, Little Ouse and the three Lodes. It was an interesting Summer:rolleyes:

Sorry ,  I meant to ask if you went down the stub to Horseway lock.  Glad you had an interesting trip !

16 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Sorry ,  I meant to ask if you went down the stub to Horseway lock.  Glad you had an interesting trip !

No we didn't head down to the lock, the weed looked a bit thick although it isn't a weed that wraps around the propeller so we probably could have done. I didn't fancy the reverse back though:unsure: (apparently you only need to get to the junction for the IWA Silver Prop)

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

I've got to go do some other things this week, and need a new starter battery, so ALDI moorings in Retford is my first call,

UPDATE 

07591436308 is Mick Ogdens Diesel number, I have not got through , yet.

Grimes deliver fuel, logs and gas.

Don't expect it to be better once you get up the Trent to Nottingham. The canal is a good six inch or more down and the moorings heavily silted and locks leaking heavily with paddle gear broken.

Thats assuming you get off the canal before this lot of fresh water hits the river.

We are supposed to be at West Stockwith on Thursday so may bump into you stoppages allowing.

You will be glad to hear that the White Hart is now shut as I know you had a less than good meal in there on your way up the canal. We have also not been impressed with it the last few times we have been.

3 hours ago, cheshire~rose said:

We have a ton and a half of Lister JP2 Laundry drier operating in our engine 'ole. 

I'm pleased to see that, in enjoying your new boat, you've discovered this ancillary use of such engines (as well as propelling the boat and emitting pleasing sounds). We have a clothes line across the top of our engine room, I do wonder if working boat people dried their washing in their engine rooms too.

8 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Don't expect it to be better once you get up the Trent to Nottingham. The canal is a good six inch or more down and the moorings heavily silted and locks leaking heavily with paddle gear broken.

Thats assuming you get off the canal before this lot of fresh water hits the river.

We are supposed to be at West Stockwith on Thursday so may bump into you stoppages allowing.

You will be glad to hear that the White Hart is now shut as I know you had a less than good meal in there on your way up the canal. We have also not been impressed with it the last few times we have been.

I am not surprised, about the White Hart, the owner seemed rather worried, sad to see it closed, as the basic facIlities were fine. 

The Chesterfield canal is not navigable due to failure of the lock at Misterton, I may be here a minimum of three weeks, and a maximum of six months!

I will return to Keadby and all points west for the winter, if possible.

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I am not surprised, about the White Hart, the owner seemed rather worried, sad to see it closed, as the basic facIlities were fine. 

The Chesterfield canal is not navigable due to failure of the lock at Misterton, I may be here a minimum of three weeks, and a maximum of six months!

I will return to Keadby and all points west for the winter, if possible.

You say West how far West? As you can only get West over the L&L. All other routes closed due to the Fig3 lock stoppage. You would be better going West via T&M.