Exploring Brums Canals and waterside features

sirweste

Featured Posts

Not their best video but still very entertaining. Thought it may be of interest to some given the canal link, and I suspect some will unfortunately be very upset by the potential damage being done through the 'miss-use' of the infrastructure.

• Greenie 3
  • Angry 2

23 minutes ago, Athy said:

Are they a gymnastics team? I watched the first ten minutes, and some of their moves are beyond the scope of ordinary mortals.

Parkour. Invented by crazy French people living in Banlieue. Travelling across an urban environment using the features you find. Limited to young people who are still immortal.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

I guess it derives from the French "parcours" (course) then. If they're not actual gymnasts, they must be extremely fit. A standing jump across a 7-foot (or slightly more) canal would be beyond the ability of most people, even young ones.

23 minutes ago, Athy said:

I guess it derives from the French "parcours" (course) then. If they're not actual gymnasts, they must be extremely fit. A standing jump across a 7-foot (or slightly more) canal would be beyond the ability of most people, even young ones.

I believe that is the derivation. Very fit individuals. Take a lot of practice and the consequences of mistakes can be dire!

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

19 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Very fit individuals. Take a lot of practice and the consequences of mistakes can be dire!

Just like formal gymnastics, then - I've seen awful incidents on telly where someone falls off a piece of equipment and lands upside down or otherwise awkwardly.

It's good that these lads always seem to be in a posse, so that if there is an incident there is help at hand.

Just now, dmr said:

Jumping a narrow lock is pretty standard stuff, but doing it from a standing start is very impressive.

............Dave

My point exactly.

Neither has ever been "standard" for me!

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Just like formal gymnastics, then - I've seen awful incidents on telly where someone falls off a piece of equipment and lands upside down or otherwise awkwardly.

It's good that these lads always seem to be in a posse, so that if there is an incident there is help at hand.

My point exactly.

Neither has ever been "standard" for me!

I did mean standard for daft young lads rather than me personally, and anyway we mostly hang about on the K&A and Rochdale ?

The Weaver would be a good test for them.

................Dave

• Greenie 1

If you enjoyed it there are others on their YT page which are very good too. I don't believe any of them are gymnasts, though the ginger lad was on the Ninja Warrior thing on the telly box.

Just strong, fit and dedicated to their sport / life.

In general the content they put out is very enjoyable to watch. They are adept at editing and have all become good at talking to the camera.

Just had a quick scroll through their YT channel to find the link below and there's actually a few canal based ones.

This is the first one of theirs I was introduced to:

31 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yeah, looking out for one another is key in "extreme" sports (hate that term), I compete and am part of the gravity mtb world there some stuff you'd never consider without the right pals with ya.

These lads here won't be pushing one another to do things which they haven't done their own risk assessments of. There's various roof top ones on their YT channel which make me hands go tingly! 

33 minutes ago, dmr said:

I did mean standard for daft young lads rather than me personally, and anyway we mostly hang about on the K&A and Rochdale ?

The Weaver would be a good test for them.

................Dave

I'm quite comfortable hopping a narrow canal, but as you say, the power required to clear it from standing...

Not sure if in their London canal vid they are jumping the full ~14' - haven't time to watch as I'm supposed to be working!

The "entitled" generation at their best ? - a timely reminder of why we decided to leave the canals behind - particularly after 3 separate incidents of trouble with this generation in Gas St last year.

A result of CARTs outdoor gym propaganda......................happy for them to get on with it now we aren't involved or affected.......................society has moved on faster than we want to.

Edited by Halsey

20 minutes ago, sirweste said:

Yeah, looking out for one another is key in "extreme" sports (hate that term), I compete and am part of the gravity mtb world there some stuff you'd never consider without the right pals with ya.

These lads here won't be pushing one another to do things which they haven't done their own risk assessments of. There's various roof top ones on their YT channel which make me hands go tingly! 

I'm quite comfortable hopping a narrow canal, but as you say, the power required to clear it from standing...

Not sure if in their London canal vid they are jumping the full ~14' - haven't time to watch as I'm supposed to be working!

I'm into my 60's so won't be jumping any locks but have seen it done often, and often in a not very safe way, like Star Lock at Stone in the dark, but jumping a full narrow lock should be reasonably safe if you are prepared. I see the world long jump record is 29 feet so a wide lock should be quite possible, and maybe even a Weaver lock.

I suspect confidence is key, I noticed the Stone lock jumpers usually had a little hesitation at the last moment just past the point of no return.

.................Dave

19 minutes ago, Halsey said:

The "entitled" generation at their best ? - a timely reminder of why we decided to leave the canals behind - particularly after 3 separate incidents of trouble with this generation in Gas St last year.

A result of CARTs outdoor gym propaganda......................happy for them to get on with it now we aren't involved or affected.......................society has moved on faster than we want to.

They showed no sign of wanting to cause any trouble for other people.

What has moved on fast is the English language, unless they have their own restricted code in order to baffle listeners. SOME of what they said made sense.....

4 hours ago, sirweste said:

Not their best video but still very entertaining. Thought it may be of interest to some given the canal link, and I suspect some will unfortunately be very upset by the potential damage being done through the 'miss-use' of the infrastructure.

Impressive strength particularly in that ginger chap.

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

Entitled...? I don't get how? Their sport involves interpreting the everyday infrastructure in a different way than other people perceive it. They are very polite, if you watch some of their vids the interactions with public, property owners and police is always very very respectful and polite. 

And I'm pretty sure CRT aint promoting parkour! 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, sirweste said:

Entitled...? I don't get how? Their sport involves interpreting the everyday infrastructure in a different way than other people perceive it. They are very polite, if you watch some of their vids the interactions with public, property owners and police is always very very respectful and polite. 

And I'm pretty sure CRT aint promoting parkour! 

Agree, a bunch of fit healthy bods pushing their bodies hard, no violence no aggression, ok I would hope they don't damage the infrastructure in any way but beyond that good luck to them

27 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

This chap is impressive, not canals as such but there is a bit of derelict steam on show

So impressive that it's hard to believe that no trick photography was involved.

I didn't notice any "derelict steam" but the row of diesel shunters suggests an ex-industrial line, in Scotland judging by the credits at the end.

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

I didn't notice any "derelict steam" but the row of diesel shunters suggests an ex-industrial line, in Scotland judging by the credits at the end.

Sorry I meant diesel my bad.

No trick photos at all the bloke is just very very good

• Greenie 1

Aye Danny is quite the lad. I actually rode in a crew with him way back in around 2008, was mind bending even then. All of his vids are very good.

In the spirit of this forum, keeping things off topic, in the wrong board: The most recent vid that has my jaw on the floor is this from Dennis Enarson:

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, Athy said:

He is extremely good, no trick photography.

However sometimes multiple takes are required until he lands a trick. In a later short film he did called ‘Imaginate’ it took 4 days and something like 150 takes before he landed the ‘jump from one rail to another’ trick! 

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, booke23 said:

He is extremely good, no trick photography.

However sometimes multiple takes are required until he lands a trick. In a later short film he did called ‘Imaginate’ it took 4 days and something like 150 takes before he landed the ‘jump from one rail to another’ trick! 

There are a few outake videos which are amusing