Hack Green Bottom Lock

David Mack

Featured Posts

Notice Alert

Shropshire Union Canal
Location: Hack Green Lock 2, Baddington, Shropshire Union Canal.
Starts At: Hack Green Winding Hole
Ends At: Moss Hall Winding Hole
Up Stream Winding Hole: Hack Green Winding Hole.
Down Stream Winding Hole: Moss Hall Winding Hole.

Saturday 3 October 2020 16:00 until further notice

Type: Navigation Restriction
Reason: Structure failure

Update on 05/10/2020:

Our team have identified an issue with the cill lining at Lock 2, Hack Green, teams will be on site Wednesday 7 October to investigate a resolution.

Navigation will resume today through Hack Green locks with daily operating times:

• 10am – 3pm to facilitate passage through the lock (last passage at 2.30pm)

Our team will be onsite to assist with operation of Lock 2 within the operating times.

Padlocks will be placed on Lock 1 & 2 outside of these hours.

Notice will be given should a closure be required to allow our team to install the repaired cill lining back into place.

An update will be provided Thursday 8 October.

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Monitoring? Bah!

Why not get it fixed on the 15th of September when I reported it?  I even told them what was wrong with it!

Perhaps you should have told them how to fix it.

Just now, Flyboy said:

Perhaps you should have told them how to fix it.

I may well have more idea than the management but I trust the guys on the ground to do it properly. Unfortunately the hierarchy can't organise or understand time scales. 

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Monitoring? Bah!

Why not get it fixed on the 15th of September when I reported it?  I even told them what was wrong with it!

Not making excuses, but I can sort of see the C & RT dilemma. A boater phones in to report a problem and C & RT has no idea how clued up or subject to exaggeration the caller is.  We often see on here and on FB about boaters who have reported a problem and most of us can, I think, work out who knows what they are talking about and those who are making a mountain out of a molehill and whose major problem can be ignored for a while.  For example, how many boaters know what a blown cill looks like and can properly report it against those who have heard the term, see water at the bottom of a gate and decide to report it as a blown cill?  Tricky for C & RT to decide who can be believed and who is gilding the lily? 

I hope it doesn't take too long to fix as we hope to be passing there in a week or so. 

haggis

9 minutes ago, haggis said:

Not making excuses, but I can sort of see the C & RT dilemma. A boater phones in to report a problem and C & RT has no idea how clued up or subject to exaggeration the caller is.  We often see on here and on FB about boaters who have reported a problem and most of us can, I think, work out who knows what they are talking about and those who are making a mountain out of a molehill and whose major problem can be ignored for a while.  For example, how many boaters know what a blown cill looks like and can properly report it against those who have heard the term, see water at the bottom of a gate and decide to report it as a blown cill?  Tricky for C & RT to decide who can be believed and who is gilding the lily? 

I hope it doesn't take too long to fix as we hope to be passing there in a week or so. 

haggis

Aye, true as you say but they know me from the many occasions when I have nagged them.

They stopped answering my emails for a while after the Middlewich breach, I knew more about it than they did, then they would not admit the cause and came up with the stupid vandal excuse.

Julie S must hate me, but I am on the ground not in the ivory tower in my BMW. And I do know how to fix a blown cill lining.

2 hours ago, haggis said:
5 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

old them what was wrong with it!

Not making excuses, but I can sort of see the C & RT dilemma. A boater phones in to report a problem and C & RT has no idea how clued up or subject to exaggeration the caller is. 

But it doesn't (shouldn't) take a fortnight to get someone out to take a look. 

When I came through on Thursday (and started this thread), CRT were obviously aware as they had a man there with a tirfor operating the top gate. I don't know how long they had been doing this. I guess they were hoping they could carry on like this until the stoppage season, although the man there told me it was getting worse by the day.

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, haggis said:

For example, how many boaters know what a blown cill looks like and can properly report it

Please miss, me miss!

I took photos of the cill shortly before it blew as it was obvious it was going to and included them with the report.

20170507_135122.jpg.a8d5ed2b7d256e08b71ac275e46a77b3.jpg

8 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Please miss, me miss!

I took photos of the cill shortly before it blew as it was obvious it was going to and included them with the report.

20170507_135122.jpg.a8d5ed2b7d256e08b71ac275e46a77b3.jpg

Bang on, and to add to that the offside gate was not meeting the cill bar at the bottom due to the gates being misaligned and the mitres not meeting square on.

Which lock was this one?

That's why I told them the cill had blown on the 15th September, and why 3 days later they were using a Tirfor to force the off side gate.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

Went through Hack Green with CRT assisted passage today. Unofficially told that it would close on Sunday although assessment takes place tomorrow. 

If you are going through don't leave it till 2.30 as staff locked up before then today 

2 hours ago, WhiteSuit said:

But apparently no one to assist on Saturday or Sunday. 

..and come Monday, nobody North or West of Watford Gap services will be allowed to breathe, feed their mothers or go and get a pint of milk.

But protests will still be allowed and you can still go and queue at a supermarket or get Amazon/avocado to deliver lifes excesses to your abode.(bridge)

32 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

Anyone know if the lock's open at the weekend?

CRT say:

"The following daily operating times will be in effect until, and inclusive of, Tuesday 20 October:

• 10am – 3pm to facilitate passage through the lock (last passage at 2.30pm)"

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

CRT say:

"The following daily operating times will be in effect until, and inclusive of, Tuesday 20 October:

• 10am – 3pm to facilitate passage through the lock (last passage at 2.30pm)"

Yes they do say daily but 'Whitesuit' on here was told that they weren't so was wondering as looking like we'll be there this weekend. Never mind, we'll wait til Monday on the lock mooring if no-one around!

2 hours ago, wandering snail said:

Yes they do say daily but 'Whitesuit' on here was told that they weren't so was wondering as looking like we'll be there this weekend. Never mind, we'll wait til Monday on the lock 

I believe it has been open weekends. There has been a fair amount of traffic going through including hirers doing the four counties and I have not heard of any weekend problems. The quote came from the lockie who said there was noone to operate it,  hinted at  CRT not wanting to pay weekend rates.