And another one

Troyboy

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

I predict an increase in click bait headlines followed by very so so videos unless they come up with a fresh angle on it - not sure what that could be - what would people find interesting and viewable?

The clickboait headlines can be ridiculous.

"DISASTER!, COLLISION AND WE NEARLY SINK!"

The watch the video and another boat brushes against there boat 12 minutes in.  Always after youtube has inserted some adverts, you'll notice.

• Love 1

11 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

99.9% of all youtube vloggers (not just boating) are pretty bad.  They all seem to copy the same approach, staring at the camera while telling you things from a highly personal perspective, interspersed with shots of them doing things, sometimes taken from a drone.  All highly unimaginative.  It all seems rather pointless and aimless to me.  I'd like to see a boating vlog which borrowed the tv idea of a series.  Each year could have some kind of overarching narrative.  I'd like to see a bit more background thinking, maybe do a bit of proper research and try to inform the viewer a bit about what you're filming.  A vague 'I think this canal was built by Telford', doesn't really cut it for me.  Most of the canal vlogs I've seen seem to work on the premise of trying to find their own angle.  The problem is that this angle is usually pretty thin, along the lines of:  "we have a cat", "we are gay", or "I'm obsessed with batteries".

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh but these people are trying to make a living doing it.  What do I know though?  Lots of people follow the popular ones.  I suspect viewers are mostly non-boaters who are dreaming...  similar to most readers of waterways magazines.

I like the highly personal (and sometime inaccurate) vlogs (not specifically narrowboat related), I am not looking for tutorial here, I am enjoying the content... in a sense it satisfies the voyeur in me, which is why the more the merrier.

not everybody is blessed with good presentation skill or professional editing skill, and sometimes just blabbering in front of mike is good enough... 

on other hand I might find a tv drama of high production value boring...

My friend and his wife started married life on a 32' ex Harboro' Marine / Anglo Welsh hireboat, siad to be half of a wooden butty with a steel counter attached.

One main cabin plus a small galley and heads, complete with sea toilet.  They used to go to the public baths once a week for a private bath.

They lived for several years on the S & SY at Mexborough Wharf, and regularly used to get woken by some bumps from a string of Tom Puddings waiting for the locks.

Since then they've had several other boats, farms and animals and built their own house.

They clearly thrive on doing things the hard way.

BTW their honeymoon was backpacking across North Africa.

10 minutes ago, jake_crew said:

My friend and his wife started married life on a 32' ex Harboro' Marine / Anglo Welsh hireboat, siad to be half of a wooden butty with a steel counter attached.

One main cabin plus a small galley and heads, complete with sea toilet.  They used to go to the public baths once a week for a private bath.

They lived for several years on the S & SY at Mexborough Wharf, and regularly used to get woken by some bumps from a string of Tom Puddings waiting for the locks.

Since then they've had several other boats, farms and animals and built their own house.

They clearly thrive on doing things the hard way.

BTW their honeymoon was backpacking across North Africa.

Harborough Marine did build some all wooden narrowboats, we once had a 40' one here.

8 hours ago, Unix said:

By the way, is it "narrowboat", or "narrow boat"?

There are narrow boats that are not narrowboats,  and narrowboats that are not narrow.

I prefer ‘narrowboat’ for what we accept as just that.

19 minutes ago, junior said:

Mykaskin still the best imo. Although not really sure he's a vlogger, more just a video maker.

The most annoying at the moment seems to be that 10 year old whiney girl.

Narrowboat Girl??

Highly irritating.

Just now, Troyboy said:

Blimey, not exactly a bundle of fun is he. I won't be watching any of his vlogs .

ha ha... not the content but delivery ... I dont like people who are in perennial state of excitement (or try to be in their vlogs).... this guy is the closest to cruising the cut (in terms of slow pace and calm voice)

On 01/10/2020 at 19:58, ditchcrawler said:

The only one I look at regularly is Andy Tidy "Life at 2.3 miles an hour" not the worlds best presenter but I find the content interesting, Here is one of them 

Thanks. It makes a change from the self obsessed rubbish from most v logs.

• 2 weeks later...