And another one

Troyboy

Featured Posts

There seems to be a huge increase in Youtube videos by people new to boating . Stumbled across one by a young couple Gareth and Nicole who have started a You tube channel called Life on Rosebud. They have decided to move in together on a 35 ft narrowboat named Rosebud that they are buying from Whilton Marina . The survey turned up a few issues that Whilton have agreed to fix and the boat should be ready for collection by the middle of October .  I wish them well but wonder if rose tinted glasses weren't involved somewhere as they speak of watching Youtube videos and fancying canal living themselves.  The joys of youth. 

19 minutes ago, Troyboy said:

There seems to be a huge increase in Youtube videos by people new to boating . Stumbled across one by a young couple Gareth and Nicole who have started a You tube channel called Life on Rosebud. They have decided to move in together on a 35 ft narrowboat named Rosebud that they are buying from Whilton Marina . The survey turned up a few issues that Whilton have agreed to fix and the boat should be ready for collection by the middle of October .  I wish them well but wonder if rose tinted glasses weren't involved somewhere as they speak of watching Youtube videos and fancying canal living themselves.  The joys of youth. 

Most of us, when young, happily put up with privations which we'd be appalled by now. I'll be interested to have a look and see how they're getting on.

22 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

There's a lot of new boaters who imagine they can make a living by vlogging these days.  In the end, there may be 2 or 3 boats who remain popular enough in the long term to stratch a living doing it, but no more.

And whilst I’m not saying I could do any better, most are pretty awful.

I would be embarrassed to put my name to some of them.

• Greenie 2

We met a single handed CC'ing bloke recently who has made a reasonably good living from youTube videos. These were about photography where he has a lot of expertise and experience, so it can be done. The concept of making videos when you are a total beginner, or in fact anything less than an expert, is alien to me, but I guess it fits in with the concept of reality TV where people like watching other people make fools of themselves, and a bit of stupidity is seen as good entertainment.

.................Dave

Cruising the cut for his laid back easy to listen to style and dry humour, and the Foxes for their humour, presentation style and the historical snippets during their videos.

I was subscribed to 'minimal list' until their over dramatisation of their recent Bingley 5 rise passage.

Both C the C and the foxes I believe have a background in broadcasting and it shows.

I struggle to watch (m)any of the others as they are hoplessy amateurish and some are just clueless regarding boating.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

2 hours ago, Pie Eater said:

A popular vlogger seems to be Cruising the Cut which has 164000 subscribers.

he is the reason I am on this forum, have not found another one to match his channel yet.

but nothing wrong in trying when you are young, even if you make a mistake. I wish them best of luck.

urban dictionary has interesting take on rosebud :)

Edited by restlessnomad

3 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Cruising the cut for his laid back easy to listen to style and dry humour, and the Foxes for their humour, presentation style and the historical snippets during their videos.

I was subscribed to 'minimal list' until their over dramatisation of their recent Bingley 5 rise passage.

Both C the C and the foxes I believe have a background in broadcasting and it shows.

Journey with Jono was another with a broadcasting background - shame he has moved onto other things

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, garibaldi said:

Journey with Jono was another with a broadcasting background - shame he has moved onto other things

jono is unwatchable for me because he is breatheless all the time... and I cant breathe when watching 

'sort of interesting' and robbie cummings are pretty good

My guilty pleasure is Cruising Alba ... very bohemian!

Very few will be making any money and those that do will be struggling to come up with new topics - there's only so many times you can film the same bit of canal, except maybe in different seasons?  I predict an increase in click bait headlines followed by very so so videos unless they come up with a fresh angle on it - not sure what that could be - what would people find interesting and viewable?

I'd personally like more engineering videos and trips into the engine bay generally, but I know I'm a bit odd like that.... its my favourite room on our boat!

Edited by robtheplod

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

My guilty pleasure is Cruising Alba ... very bohemian!

Very few will be making any money and those that do will be struggling to come up with new topics - there's only so many times you can film the same bit of canal, except maybe in different seasons?  I predict an increase in click bait headlines followed by very so so videos unless they come up with a fresh angle on it - not sure what that could be - what would people find interesting and viewable?

I'd personally like more engineering videos and trips into the engine bay generally, but I know I'm a bit odd like that.... its my favourite room on our boat!

cute couple... will watch them...

about clickbait, it has been like that on youtube for years, nothing new... youtube is 15 years old... some get clicks by clickbait headlines others by really good content... btw people dont get paid by clicks, you need to watch the video and the ads... (then there are affiliated links and donation/subscription as revenue stream)

Edited by restlessnomad

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

I agree.  Narrowboat engineering videos are far and few between.  Not only would engine room videos be great to watch, but electrical engineering too.  I see there are a few videos on the classic engines but not so much on the typical four cylinder engines: Barrus, Beta Marine etc.

By the way, is it "narrowboat", or "narrow boat"?

4 minutes ago, Unix said:

By the way, is it "narrowboat", or "narrow boat"?

Both. Modern pleasure boats are narrowboats. Heritage craft are narrow boats.

I think in truth it’s a fairly arbitrary thing and there is past discussion on this point in the archive. However you may upset the historic fraternity if you describe their craft as narrowboats.

JP

1 minute ago, Captain Pegg said:

Both. Modern pleasure boats are narrowboats. Heritage craft are narrow boats.

I think in truth it’s a fairly arbitrary thing and there is past discussion on this point in the archive. However you may upset the historic fraternity if you describe their craft as narrowboats.

JP

Thank you for the explanation.  I do like to be pedantic and use correct words, spellings,  where there is a definite difference in meaning.

I don't want to be upsetting anyone.. ?

18 hours ago, dor said:

And whilst I’m not saying I could do any better, most are pretty awful.

I would be embarrassed to put my name to some of them.

99.9% of all youtube vloggers (not just boating) are pretty bad.  They all seem to copy the same approach, staring at the camera while telling you things from a highly personal perspective, interspersed with shots of them doing things, sometimes taken from a drone.  All highly unimaginative.  It all seems rather pointless and aimless to me.  I'd like to see a boating vlog which borrowed the tv idea of a series.  Each year could have some kind of overarching narrative.  I'd like to see a bit more background thinking, maybe do a bit of proper research and try to inform the viewer a bit about what you're filming.  A vague 'I think this canal was built by Telford', doesn't really cut it for me.  Most of the canal vlogs I've seen seem to work on the premise of trying to find their own angle.  The problem is that this angle is usually pretty thin, along the lines of:  "we have a cat", "we are gay", or "I'm obsessed with batteries".

Maybe I'm being a bit harsh but these people are trying to make a living doing it.  What do I know though?  Lots of people follow the popular ones.  I suspect viewers are mostly non-boaters who are dreaming...  similar to most readers of waterways magazines.

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1