Lock identity

Philip

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

norty.

Honest guv, I wasnt, it looked familiar and then I remembered that section is lock free.

11 minutes ago, matty40s said:

How many locks are between Napton and Braunston.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

It isn't the Trent and Mersey or the Oxford Canals. I'm 99% sure I know the lock btw, thought I'd post it as a challenge as there are some interesting differences between then and now (if you know where to look). Clicking on the picture gives a huge clue, if you want one!! There is at least one notable feature in the photo which is (thankfully) still there now, albeit surrounded by trees from the same view point.

Edited by Philip

11 hours ago, matty40s said:

Does this make it any easier.....

Hoo mill to Stone, shadows are in the wrong direction for going downhill with bends, bridge and house in that direction.

20200930_230345.jpg

That's weird, now it's round the other way. 

Could it be chemic locks? Towpath now looks to be on the correct side. No sign of the road on the right though and the bridge doesn't look right to me, although there is a farmers bridge along that stretch i think somewhere opposite Brentaag.

3 hours ago, Philip said:

It isn't the Trent and Mersey or the Oxford Canals. I'm 99% sure I know the lock btw, thought I'd post it as a challenge as there are some interesting differences between then and now (if you know where to look). Clicking on the picture gives a huge clue, if you want one!! There is at least one notable feature in the photo which is (thankfully) still there now, albeit surrounded by trees from the same view point.

There looks to be the remnants of a lock or possibly a branch at a diagonal to the existing chamber???

1 hour ago, Flyboy said:

New Marton lock by  bridge12 on Llangollen ?

Very close!

36 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

There looks to be the remnants of a lock or possibly a branch at a diagonal to the existing chamber???

Nope, it's further in the distance and only indirectly related to the canal. Clue - many were demolished a few years after this photo was taken (1958).

Edited by Philip

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

Nope, it's further in the distance and only indirectly related to the canal. Clue - many were demolished a few years after this photo was taken (1958).

I can see what look like to be chimneys on the horizon??

But I can't enlarge the pic. enough with sufficient detail to see what they/it actually are/is.

37 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Swanley Lock No 6 on the Llangollen?

Nope, but close!

48 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I can see what look like to be chimneys on the horizon??

But I can't enlarge the pic. enough with sufficient detail to see what they/it actually are/is.

Lock keeper's cottage.