Gas locker corrosion nightmare

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, blackrose said:

Either or I guess, as long as the paint is protected.

To be honest, in an area subject to constant water exposure like the floor of a gas locker most single pack paints won't fare that well over time. Once I scurfed out the rust in my gas locker I put down three coats of two-pack epoxy as it's designed for immersion in water. I certainly don't want to be getting back in there with an angle grinder anytime soon!

When I got our boat I took the gas locker back to bare metal and painted it with  Bondaprimer and Danboline, both excellent paints, and it lasted just over 5 years. Next time I bribed Goliath of this forum to take it back to bare metal again (I'd done it once, never again) and did the whole lot in 3 coats of epoxy. Still looks good. Hoping for ten years ?.

..............Dave

39 minutes ago, Phoenix_V said:

I've been looking for such a paint for a long time

I used this as an anti-slip deck coating - it was designed for use offshore and for 'boating' areas that are in the splash zone or regularly soaked.

Comes in 'rough anti-slip' and 'fine anti-slip' versions.

It is a Pdf so cannot post all 3 pages of the data sheet but here is a screen shot (I'm sure if you do a search for 'SafeKote' you'll find the data on line)

image.png.f4a45dcc2ae8178b69f05b9becc7ff26.png

IMG_1328.JPG

18 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I used this as an anti-slip deck coating - it was designed for use offshore and for 'boating' areas that are in the splash zone or regularly soaked.

It is a Pdf so cannot post all 3 pages of the data sheet but here is a screen shot (I'm sure if you do a search for 'SafeKote' you'll find the data on line)

image.png.f4a45dcc2ae8178b69f05b9becc7ff26.png

IMG_1328.JPG

In the intertidal zone we use a 2 Pk epoxy that was like putty and put on several mm thick, the painters use to use it to repair the toes of their boots where the steel was showing through 

• Happy 1

26 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Interesting I might give it a punt, did you use their primer? I had assumed your boat was plastic I take it I was wrong.

5 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

Better to have and not to need, than need and not to have !

AdE  ............................   why do keep saying that?

nearly as daft as someone who doesn't live in Kansas and can't spell Pitlochry.

Its his signature,

If his or anybody elses signature  bother you, there is the facility on the forum to render them invisible to you.

Personally I've only blocked a couple, simply because they took up too much screen estate.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

On 02/10/2020 at 15:43, blackrose said:

Yes, they're the ones I use. You have to put something down to protect the paint being scraped off by the bottles, otherwise what was the point of painting it?

Heavy Duty Rubber Grass Mats

I have had these on top of the roof and also in the gas locker. In truth, after a while the pimples break down and they gather or hold even more moisture anyway.

So who is going to plasma cut the gas locker top off the boat then and make it good? Still looking for someone trustworthy near Nantwich area?