Which 240 hook up socket ?

narrowboatmike

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, narrowboatmike said:

Hi, can anybody recommend a decent waterproof 240 hook up socket. There seems to be so many on the market

but most say splash proof so not sure if they are suitable for life on a narrowboat . any suggestions are greatly

appreciated, thanks, Mike  

None are waterproof (as in can be immersed)

They are all 'splashproof' but ensure you fit it to the boat in the correct orientation.

You could do a lot worse than this :

https://www.screwfix.com/p/abb-16a-2p-e-surface-socket-250v/1858f

You can get them to IP67. Doesn't help much for an inlet plug with nothing conneced, but makes for a more waterproof connection if both plug and socket are IP67. 

They are compatible wth the IP44 ones, but obviously the connection is only as waterroof as the lower rating plug/socket.

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/categories/bs4343-240v-blue-bs4343-240v-ip67-splashproof-plugs-sockets

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

None are waterproof (as in can be immersed)

They are all 'splashproof' but ensure you fit it to the boat in the correct orientation.

You could do a lot worse than this :

https://www.screwfix.com/p/abb-16a-2p-e-surface-socket-250v/1858f

Very dangerous recommending a surface socket for the boat. This means that the incoming cable will have live pins to electrocute you. Should be a surface plug. Most boats have these and are mounted upside down which allows rainwater into the socket.

• Greenie 4
  • Horror 1

1 minute ago, Flyboy said:

Very dangerous recommending a surface socket for the boat. This means that the incoming cable will have live pins to electrocute you. Should be a surface plug. Most boats have these and are mounted upside down which allows rainwater into the socket.

Oops - thankyou.

Indeed the boat mounted connector should be the Plug to which you 'plug in' the shoreline which has a 'socket' on the end.

I picked the wrong picture. It should have been something like this (mounted with the 'pins' pointing downwards)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/abb-16a-2p-e-surface-plug-250v/6490f

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Oops - thankyou.

Indeed the boat mounted connector should be the Plug to which you 'plug in' the shoreline which has a 'socket' on the end.

I picked the wrong picture. It should have been something like this (mounted with the 'pins' pointing downwards)

https://www.screwfix.com/p/abb-16a-2p-e-surface-plug-250v/6490f

Strangely no, the pins should point upwards so that the cable socket shroud fits over the surface plug and keeps rainwater out.  Most boats I've looked at have the surface plug the wrong way up, even boat builders get it wrong. 

6 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Strangely no, the pins should point upwards so that the cable socket shroud fits over the surface plug and keeps rainwater out.  Most boats I've looked at have the surface plug the wrong way up, even boat builders get it wrong. 

Fine when moored up on the landline, but most of us spend a large proportion of the time 'not connected', and installing it 'pins up'means it fills full of rain water.

As per (Port side of the rear doors)

CAM00045.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

21 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Yes, my BSS examiner picked that up on my boat. It’s on a ‘promise’ to change it over. 
I never plug in, so it’s not a problem. 

However I will change it. 

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Flyboy said:

You have a surface socket so very dangerous, Change it asap. If you look at your shoreline I'll wager you will see a pin plug at each end.

There are pins inside, not a socket....  This is a pic of the old one we replaced (like for like).... still think its dangerous?

20200301_103808.jpg

56 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Fine when moored up on the landline, but most of us spend a large proportion of the time 'not connected', and installing it 'pins up'means it fills full of rain water.

As per (Port side of the rear doors)

CAM00045.jpg

Yes you will get rainwater in it when not in use so needs a cap on it.  A ridiculous situation I know but if you plug your shoreline in you will see how the shrouds work.

10 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

There are pins inside, not a socket....  This is a pic of the old one we replaced (like for like).... still think its dangerous?

20200301_103808.jpg

Have a look at the end of the pins, are they solid or are they hollow?  If they are solid you have the correct surface plug.

2 hours ago, Flyboy said:

Another wrong answer ;)  The pins should be horizontal this prevents water running down the cable and in through the gland when plugged in, it also prevents water collecting around the pins when unconnected.

Connectors of this type are not designed to be used in a vertical orientation, water will always get in if they are used that way. I have had connectors outside lying on the grass for years with no water ingress at all. Hang them vertical and they can have water in them in a matter of days.

My boat 230v inlet is a menekes ip67 appliance inlet with a separate cap that seals it when not in use. It looks like the plug and cover  below but smaller

mennekes_836_491bf11ff1a21a0d18c00270118f913d.jpg

40784_2.png

Edited by Loddon

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

Another wrong answer ;)  The pins should be horizontal this prevents water running down the cable and in through the gland when plugged in, it also prevents water collecting around the pins when unconnected.

Connectors of this type are not designed to be used in a vertical orientation, water will always get in if they are used that way. I have had connectors outside lying on the grass for years with no water ingress at all. Hang them vertical and they can have water in them in a matter of days.

My boat 230v inlet is a menekes ip67 appliance inlet with a separate cap that seals it when not in use. It looks like the plug and cover  below but smaller

mennekes_836_491bf11ff1a21a0d18c00270118f913d.jpg

40784_2.png

We have similar (but stainless) makes a totally sealed (wave-proof) cap.

And the shore-line makes a similar watertight connection. Rubber seals and a 'screw' fit.

A bit OTT for canal use tho'.

InkedIMG_1018 Zoom_LI.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield