Unavailability of Nicholsons guides

pomkitanner

Featured Posts

Or alternatively have a look at Waterway Routes, https://www.waterwayroutes.co.uk , in PDF form so can be browsed on your device of choice and printed out already formatted for A4, can be bought as a download or a DVD by post (which also gives download link) so delivery can be as quick as your internet connection. They won't give the incidental detail or history like a Pearsons or Nicholsons, but do provide all the relevant stuff like moorings, services, water, marinas and what they provide.

As to your original point, i have a couple of Nicholsons  guides saved in my Amazon basket for later (to replace our oldest editions at some point) and had seen a couple of weeks ago that they were suddenly unavailable, this would explain it. I looked at the publishers website, Collins, and they too show temporarily out of stock.

As they are printed in China this may explain it.

2 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Or alternatively have a look at Waterway Routes, https://www.waterwayroutes.co.uk , in PDF form so can be browsed on your device of choice and printed out already formatted for A4, can be bought as a download or a DVD by post (which also gives download link) so delivery can be as quick as your internet connection. They won't give the incidental detail or history like a Pearsons or Nicholsons, but do provide all the relevant stuff like moorings, services, water, marinas and what they provide.

As to your original point, i have a couple of Nicholsons  guides saved in my Amazon basket for later (to replace our oldest editions at some point) and had seen a couple of weeks ago that they were suddenly unavailable, this would explain it. I looked at the publishers website, Collins, and they too show temporarily out of stock.

As they are printed in China this may explain it.

They used to be printed in Italy. Seems its all going East.   I much prefer Pearsons apart from the stapled binding.

16 minutes ago, sharpness said:

Have you tried a real shop, WH Smiths in the bigger towns usually stock them, certainly in Worcester a couple of months ago.

He's from New Zealand......?

13 hours ago, pomkitanner said:

Thanks to all responders . It appears Canal shop may have them available in October sometime.  Amazon UK are out of stock . Amazon US want an arm and a leg .  

Which area Nicholson are you looking for ?   If you are hiring a boat, your hire company should have stock.

• Greenie 1

Just looking now Amazon UK have several in stock although there are some out of stock. Anther option would be to get the kindle version, which is obviously available instantly.

For me Pearson's are good for the quirky text and lots of information on the places you pass through, but Nicholson's can't be beaten for their mapping, given it's based on the Ordnance Survey maps. In truth we have both for most places although they are by now getting a bit out of date.

We also have waterway routes downloaded on to an old iPad on the boat. If you keep that updated it provides the very best information on facilities and its real value is in marking places to moor. I haven't been able to fault the information on there yet.

7 hours ago, Athy said:

It's your personal choice of course, but in my view Pearson's knock the spots off Nicholson's.

I don't know what their stock situation is, though.

Thanks Athy . I am now looking at them also. As yet we are undecided exactly which route we shall take . But it is likely to be the area covered by Nicholsons 4 counties and welsh canals edition . As I am unfamiliar with Pearsons , can you advise which covers a comparable area  ?  thanks

Quick research from the IWA site suggests they do not deliver to NZ .

1 hour ago, pomkitanner said:

Thanks Athy . I am now looking at them also. As yet we are undecided exactly which route we shall take . But it is likely to be the area covered by Nicholsons 4 counties and welsh canals edition . As I am unfamiliar with Pearsons , can you advise which covers a comparable area  ?  thanks

Quick research from the IWA site suggests they do not deliver to NZ .

This might help.      http://www.jmpearson.co.uk/

Thanks everyone for the help. I have bought Pearsons 4 counties ring guide from "The canal shop ". Seems they were the only one that delivers to NZ despite a previous purchase from Amazon UK.  I like to research my trip prior to departing rather than buy upon arrival. I am an avid planner and like to be prepared.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, pomkitanner said:

Thanks everyone for the help. I have bought Pearsons 4 counties ring guide from "The canal shop ". Seems they were the only one that delivers to NZ despite a previous purchase from Amazon UK.  I like to research my trip prior to departing rather than buy upon arrival. I am an avid planner and like to be prepared.

I fondly remember prior to one of our hire holidays before we bought our boat photocopying pages of Nicholsons, including possible variations on the route, cutting them out so I could connect them, sellotaping them then moving all the furniture in our living room so we could plan our optimum route. They took up a lot of room ?

I don't think you could do that with Pearson's, but the narrative is lovely. We chose to have both when we were boat owners, but given the choice between one or the other Nicholsons would win every time.

Edited by Ange

Ange , I could never be either so diligent or have the patience, :)  So thank you and Athe for the greenie although I confess Its purpose confuses me . I gather this relates to profile reputation ? However it also says I have a neutral reputation . How might I attain a positive one , or god forbid a negative one ? When I may be able to travel is anyones guess, but hoping for next northern summer. May you both have the benefit of a long Indian summer with lots of canal time .

10 minutes ago, pomkitanner said:

Ange , I could never be either so diligent or have the patience, :)  So thank you and Athe for the greenie although I confess Its purpose confuses me . I gather this relates to profile reputation ? However it also says I have a neutral reputation . How might I attain a positive one , or god forbid a negative one ? When I may be able to travel is anyones guess, but hoping for next northern summer. May you both have the benefit of a long Indian summer with lots of canal time .

LOL the positive votes are because Athy and I both admire your appreciation of our wonderful canal network and thank you for it. There are no negatives (there were once, believe me the rows that led to are the reason they don't exist any more ?)

Thank you for your good wishes and I hope you get the chance to have your canal holiday in the not too distant future. Stay safe x

PS I also award positive votes to folks that make me laugh out loud. Just saying.

Edited by Ange
  • Greenie 2