Well done CaRT

MartinC

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Surely its just the same for most organisations?

People rarely take to the internet when things go right but rush to their keyboards when they don't?

This ^  people are quick to complain and certainly do not congratulate in anywhere the same numbers, I think it's genetic, I'm convinced there's a complaining gene :)

I had to call them out the other day, (Iwas the second boat jammed in the lock  that day) I was not sure why I was stuck, but it was due to rubbish preventing the exit door closing properly,   as they arrived equipped with a giant rake, they knew the problem, I was floated off by opening both up paddles simultaneously. They got me through, but not sure if that would be the only solution certainly not one I could do single handed, I had tried putting though a little bit of water, but not a vast amount.

The 0800 number spends a long time explaining about other CRT options then you get a messaging service, she was not really understanding the problem, but wanted to get CRT to ring me, OK, but I gave her the message, and told her I need assistance, I was able to give the exact location, as,, I was stuck in a lock and under a bridge, not the easiest place for phone reception! 

Edited by LadyG

On 30/09/2020 at 10:14, Midnight said:

I think most boaters believe the CaRT ground staff are priceless  it's just there aren't enough of them - it's the management that is the problem and until that situation changes navigation will continue it's downward decline. 

I would not like the job of maintaining the infrastructure or managing the whole kit'n caboodle with one hand tied behind my back, and one foot in the graveyard that is the infrastructure. 

Trying to encourage cyclists,by paving the footpaths then trying to ask folks who use them to use them carefully.

Btw, thanks to the litter pickin' volunteer who gave me a black bag so I could litter pick from my boat to Worksop, it was three parts full in about fifteen minutes,  There is some more to do but I need safety glasses to get the cans and bottles out of the blackberry bushes. Worksop has a tiny army of 'litter polise', they need a battalion!

Edited by LadyG

8 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Now can they sort out the lump in bridge 20 on the Northern stratford.

we spent 90 minutes getting the boat off the barrel safe or engine block thats in the bridge hole.

I trust you have reported it.

3 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Now can they sort out the lump in bridge 20 on the Northern stratford.

we spent 90 minutes getting the boat off the barrel safe or engine block thats in the bridge hole.

Did you report it?

I feel a bit guilty about reporting stuff, it seems a bit futile in a way, they know about them already.

It seems to me that the CRT know about the problems, but don't have a proper maintenance schedule, firefighting is the theme.

I am 'locked in' again due to a temporary repair at Misterton which only lasted about a year!

I'm not undully worried, even if I get stuck here all winter, I am sure there are worse places, but it's making my attempts at navigation seem rather weak, I'm not going to potter up and down , as I need to keep reasonably close to the broken lock.

No he wasn’t there. A very nice lady offered to pull on a rope, just as we rolled off the object, but she looked normal.
A bunch of people offered help when we stuck in the ex liftbridge at Shirley . They were rather too pissed at 11.00 to be useful.

The northern stratford is a sewer.

Fast run today only 7.5 hrs for the trip from kings norton to Lapworth top.

2 hrs faster than our all time worst , thats almost 1.5 mph.

23 hours ago, Flyboy said:

I trust you have reported it.

CRT got back to me , can’t find anything in bridge. Hmmmm.
praise for quick response.

Unfortunately too busy un sticking boat to take picture of counter 3 inches clear of water.

Just ordered winch. Back to 1984 when we wandered around with a 10 ton pull chain block In the hold, and used in anger a few times.

On 01/10/2020 at 20:45, LadyG said:

I would not like the job of maintaining the infrastructure or managing the whole kit'n caboodle with one hand tied behind my back, and one foot in the graveyard that is the infrastructure. 

Trying to encourage cyclists,by paving the footpaths then trying to ask folks who use them to use them carefully.

Whilst it may be true that resources are scarce for an aging infrastructure the current management strategy - i.e. don't fix it 'til it's completely broken - isn't necessarily always the cheapest option in the long run and it certainly annoys the paying customer with stoppage after stoppage. Try planning a cruise up here in Yorkshire.

In regard of your second paragraph - I wouldn't try because it's obvious what the outcome will be no matter how much money you spend waste on "Education"

Edited by Midnight