What mooring line length should you have for a 48ft narrow boat?

Piran

Featured Posts

If you go on the Weaver your center line will need to be long enough to go from the boat up round the bollard and back down to the boat, I join my stern line onto the centre line for there. The lock is so gentle it doesn't actually do anything but keeps the lock keepers happy

2 hours ago, PhilR said:

The problem when mooring up most narrowboats is because they only have a T stud and 2 dollies. Mooring rings on the towpath are usually in the wrong place! The solution is to fit extra fittings to the boat to secure lines to.   

Compare Alan's drawings on his post #3 and post #9

A variation.

DSCF2871.JPG

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Piran said:

I am trying to choose between 10m and 12m for my stern and bow mooring lines - any advice ? 

My boat’s 48’ too. 
The problem is when the rings have been placed 15 metres apart and I can’t hammer pegs in to help me out. 
I found that if I moor forward of the rings, maybe 6’ or 8’ and tie the T stud on the bow running back to one ring, and tie my offside (?) dolly running back to the other ring, then tie my inside(?) dolly to the forward ring where the bow is tied, I can get away with it for a day or two. 
If that makes sense? 
so front and back ropes point back while a springer goes forward, seems to work

Otherwise, when mooring I use only enough rope at the front to pass from the boat to the bank and back once, with an extra few feet to tie up. 

I spliced a loop on either end of the rope for the stern. So I don’t have to tie a knot. I try and use both the dollies at the stern when I tie up, seems to keep it in better.