Another Paint Problem

pearley

Featured Posts

I have an antenna mounted on a  Omnimax magnetic mount since January. Moved it the other day to clean the roof and the paint has bubbled up, especially in the centre where the magnet has a hole. There is a thin bit of plastic sheet between magnet and roof. Ideas of how to stop it happening again.

Paint should have been hard enough, last touched up over a year ago.

IMG_20200929_140557749.jpg

Edited by pearley

Phil Speight investigated paint bubbling under long term snow and found that paint is porous so if damp/wet is held in cntact with the paint and rarely dries out the plait will bubble.

Move the aerial position every few days, not far, just enough to let the last spot dry out.

3 hours ago, pearley said:

I have an antenna mounted on a  Omnimax magnetic mount since January. Moved it the other day to clean the roof and the paint has bubbled up, especially in the centre where the magnet has a hole. There is a thin bit of plastic sheet between magnet and roof. Ideas of how to stop it happening again.

Paint should have been hard enough, last touched up over a year ago.

If your paintwork doesn't get aired, it will fail in the way it has. Standing water and trapped water should be avoided. 

As others have said, paint failure is common in situations where permanent damp exists. I’ve often seen it where ropes are coiled horizontally....looks lovely but soon buggers the paint. Bags of coal, planters etc are also culprits. A clear cabin top is my preferred option.

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Phil Speight investigated paint bubbling under long term snow and found that paint is porous so if damp/wet is held in cntact with the paint and rarely dries out the plait will bubble.

Move the aerial position every few days, not far, just enough to let the last spot dry out.

How did he investigate long term snow?

Where’s he based? 

32 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

This is interesting as I intend to (eventually) fix solar panels with magnets, so this will come into play here i suspect?

We also have flexible solar and have similar problems under those.

7 hours ago, Goliath said:

How did he investigate long term snow?

Where’s he based? 

We had just had  a particularly long period of standing snow over most of the country, even in the south it hung around for two or three weeks and it was worse elsewhere. I cant remember the year but it was not that long ago, maybe 15 years or so. When it thawed he found a lot of fairly newly painted boats had micro-blistered so he investigated why and put his conclusion on here.

• Greenie 1

49 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

This is interesting as I intend to (eventually) fix solar panels with magnets, so this will come into play here i suspect?

Probably and under mag mount aerials, roof boxes etc.. I personally can't understand why people resist fitting rigid panels with four small metal brackets. Drilling and tapping four holes and sealing the brackets down with the likes of Sikaflx is a half hour job.

• Greenie 1