Eberspaecher exhaust location

StephenA

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, StephenA said:

Do Eberspaecher and other diesel powered heaters need to exhaust horizontally through the hull or can they exhaust vertically through the roof? If so are there suitable "chimneys" for them?

Never say never, but I have yet to see an Eber, Webby etc with a vertical exhaust.

I have had quite a few and they have all had the exhaust exiting thru the hull in close proximity to the 'unit'.

Same question here :

https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?threads/can-an-eberspacher-webasto-exhaust-exit-vertically.499549/

Anything more than 1.5 m from the unit would mess with the sensors and software, the blower would struggle...even if vertical. You also have to make the exhaust waterproof.

They are automotive units, slightly disarranged to meet the RV and marine markets.....however, this is such a small part of their revenue, they are not going to invest masses just to please someone who wants something completely different on a narrowboat.

1 hour ago, StephenA said:

Do Eberspaecher and other diesel powered heaters need to exhaust horizontally through the hull or can they exhaust vertically through the roof? If so are there suitable "chimneys" for them?

You could be onto a winner here-you just need to modify one to sound like a Gardner when its running ?

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, StephenA said:

If you mount the boiler high up so the exhaust was not unduly long I don’t see why not.  That said the outlets do get very hot, so you would need to ensure it could not be easily touched or have flammable things put on top, not to mention a cover to stop rain and other debris getting in.  I see no advantages and lots of reasons not to.

36 minutes ago, Mike Jordan said:

Ive seen one set light to a timber jetty so the exhaust needs to be carefully sited.

A good point.I have been concerned on a couple of occasions about setting grass and foliage alight when moored on the towpath.

2 hours ago, Mike Jordan said:

Ive seen one set light to a timber jetty so the exhaust needs to be carefully sited.

Which is why, having had several large split plastic pipes that hide the hull to upperworks moulding joint on some GRP cruisers melt and/or catch fire because the  Webasto exhaust were in the hull side and were moored close to piling or mud banks, from the one the exhausts were fitted into the transom. I was concerned wind blowing along the river might cause problems but it did not. If I was installing one in a narrowboat with a typical elliptical stern I would site it wee down the ellipse.

Just in case the OP is not aware -

The outlet is only about an inch in diameter and the exhaust air is expelled at some velocity. Thus most vents are fitted between the two rubbing strakes at the rear of the boat.

Having a vertical vent is somewhat of an overkill - especially as the unit is best placed in the engine area of the boat with all the other noisy equipment...

1 hour ago, Mike Jordan said:

Speaking of noise,I have been told that the device can be installed without an exhaust silencer. That may be the reason that some make an unacceptable row.

I was lucky and chatted with an outfit near S'oton who sold to salty water and other types of boats.

I've adjusted me so that it's as quiet as a Thames Launch (OK different type of exhaust, but the effect is the same)

1 hour ago, Mike Jordan said:

Speaking of noise,I have been told that the device can be installed without an exhaust silencer. That may be the reason that some make an unacceptable row.

Some of the silencers have a hole in them to drain the moisture out.They are sold for motorhomes and trucks and are mounted outside.On a boat the silencer is inside the hull so this type of silencer is unsuitable because of the danger of fumes.

On my heater the silencer makes very little difference to the noise level.

some heaters are noisier than others.Mine makes a whistling noise on it's startup cycle but on cruise it is fairly unobtrusive.A neighbouring boat has one that sounds like a jet engine spooling up and is quite loud,but he does seem to have it on full blast.

19 hours ago, Mike Jordan said:

The noisey ones will invariably be 'reconditioned' auto units from eBay that have never had the exhaust gasses measured and the fan speed set up properly at installation. If you buy a second hand auto unit, the exhaust is normally very short, if you install it with a longer exhaust it will start okay, then struggle after a few months and clog, so the reconditioners crank the fan speed up, (mixture setting) hence regardless of the silencer it will sound like a taxiing 747. Obviously trying to set one up without an exhaust analyser is pure guess work, so they assume a long exhaust to get through their 'warranty'. It will run a little cooler and use more fuel as the efficiency is lower.

If you are into playing with this sort of stuff, tweaking the mixture setting is worthwhile, tiny steps at a time and monitor noise, vs smoke, vs heat up time. Or RTFM and use an exhaust gas analyser.