K.J

Featured Posts

I am an absolute newbie to boating and have just started my research looking at living on a narrowboat permanently, is there any one in the Nottinghamshire area that would be up for meeting and offering advice and tips on buying a boat and getting started with this new way of life for me?
tia ? 

Edited by K.J

22 hours ago, K.J said:

I am an absolute newbie to boating and have just started my research looking at living on a narrowboat permanently, is there any one in the Nottinghamshire area that would be up for meeting and offering advice and tips on buying a boat and getting started with this new way of life for me?
tia ? 

welcome to the forum’s day welcome to boating! Am afraid that I am no where close so can’t help there, but this forum is a great resource, use that search function, and also some great vlogs on YouTube that can give you some great tips. ( Crusing the cut and Foxes Afloat are just two) 

On 28/09/2020 at 10:49, Markinaboat said:

Jeez, they're not back here pillaging again are they!? ?

Hope so. I’ve applied to join in!

K.J Welcome to t’forum.

What sort of advice and information are you seeking? Ask away. You’ll get helpful responses and you might even get sarcasm, you may get scorned at. If you don’t know ask.
We are fairly new at this stuff. Owned boats (two in number) for 18 years, lived aboard for just six years.

I learn summat new everyday. You live and learn. 

Edited by Nightwatch

Can anyone give any advice on a boat that needs a total re fit inside...I like the idea of a project and putting my personal stamp on ‘my new home’ 

am I jumping In too deep doing that to begin with? 
is it more cost effective to buy something ready to go? 
Also do I need to know al the ins and outs of the mechanics, engine etc side or is it something you pick up and learn as you go? 
I hope that’s not a stupid question ?

10 minutes ago, K.J said:

Yep.

11 minutes ago, K.J said:

Yep, because the only boat you're likely to find as a project is a tired old boat that's not worth very much.  Whatever you do to it that won't stop it being a tired old boat...

12 minutes ago, K.J said:

Also do I need to know al the ins and outs of the mechanics, engine etc side or is it something you pick up and learn as you go? 

Mostly the latter, but you do need some basic mechanical knowledge to start you off if you don't want to get ripped off by 'engineers'.

13 minutes ago, K.J said:

Not stupid at all.. but it was three questions ;)

All of the above of course just my opinion; others may differ.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, K.J said:

Can anyone give any advice on a boat that needs a total re fit inside...I like the idea of a project and putting my personal stamp on ‘my new home’ 

If you don't have any boating experience buy something that is ready to go. If you try to do a refit you wont know what works and what doesn't, plus if the inside needs refurbishing what do you think the rest will be like.  As for mechanical/electrical knowledge you do do worse that look at Tony's web site http://www.tb-training.co.uk/

• Greenie 1

It was just the last one I was hoping wasn’t a stupid one ? 

What if it’s not tired and old and I just want to re do it’s insides to my taste....that a better idea? ?

Edited by K.J

41 minutes ago, K.J said:

It was just the last one I was hoping wasn’t a stupid one ? 

What if it’s not tired and old and I just want to re do it’s insides to my taste....that a better idea? ?

Buy a boat that works.  Live with it a while. Find out what you like about it and what you dislike.  Only then will you know what to change. :)

• Greenie 2

If you have to ask, then you're probably stepping in a bit deep with a refit project. You can get a fully functional galley and bathroom though, and have an empty living space (although bit of carpet would be nice) which you can fill with freestanding furniture.

That was pretty much what I bought. To which I replaced the ripped lino in the kitchen with a more solid laminate, filled the living area with a sofa, moveable table, chest of drawers, etc and planned to reconfigure the bedroom (which I've still not got around to).

I think that's a little more what you may have been trying to say. So yes it's possible, but make sure the basic essentials are there and fully functional!

Edited by manicpb

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

If you don't have any boating experience buy something that is ready to go. If you try to do a refit you wont know what works and what doesn't, plus if the inside needs refurbishing what do you think the rest will be like.  As for mechanical/electrical knowledge you do do worse that look at Tony's web site http://www.tb-training.co.uk/

And if you don't understand anything or need more explanation just ask, either on or direct to me by email - no charge but the Q&A might get published to help others.

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, manicpb said:

If you have to ask, then you're probably stepping in a bit deep with a refit project. You can get a fully functional galley and bathroom though, and have an empty living space (although bit of carpet would be nice) which you can fill with freestanding furniture.

That was pretty much what I bought. To which I replaced the ripped lino in the kitchen with a more solid laminate, filled the living area with a sofa, moveable table, chest of drawers, etc and planned to reconfigure the bedroom (which I've still not got around to).

I think that's a little more what you may have been trying to say. So yes it's possible, but make sure the basic essentials are there and fully functional!

I have renovated shops/houses before so thought maybe the inside of a boat wouldn’t be as much work but from what people are saying on here it’s hard work ?

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

And if you don't understand anything or need more explanation just ask, either on or direct to me by email - no charge but the Q&A might get published to help others.

Thank you I may take you up on that ??

35 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Poor deluded soul ........................

Bah wah ha ha ha

I think Mr.de Enfield is pulling your leg a bit.But he is correct in that refurbishing a boat is many times more difficult than refurbishing a house.

I would second WotEver's advice and suggest you buy a boat that works,live with it for a while and you will be in a better position to judge what suits you best.

9 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

I think Mr.de Enfield is pulling your leg a bit.But he is correct in that refurbishing a boat is many times more difficult than refurbishing a house.

I would second WotEver's advice and suggest you buy a boat that works,live with it for a while and you will be in a better position to judge what suits you best.

I am just on about the inside living space not refurbishing everything i.e kitchen space bathroom bedroom or would you still give the same advice....buy one ready to go?