London 1924

robtheplod

Featured Posts

You may be surprised to learn that the first colour photographs were taken in the 1861. It was a bit of a struggle, and proper film only came in in 1935 https://wiki2.org/en/Color_photography but it was still based on the same principle of separation of the Red Green and Blue colours. You did need three cameras and three projectors...

@magnetman I liked the person walking along the top of the lock gate at that point.

And I liked the eyes painted on the barge at 1:27.

Edited by Paddle

2 hours ago, Paddle said:

You may be surprised to learn that the first colour photographs were taken in the 1861. It was a bit of a struggle, and proper film only came in in 1935 https://wiki2.org/en/Color_photography but it was still based on the same principle of separation of the Red Green and Blue colours. You did need three cameras and three projectors...

@magnetman I liked the person walking along the top of the lock gate at that point.

And I liked the eyes painted on the barge at 1:27.

The first colour photos were prior to this, being taken by John Mercer from Clayton-le-Moors. In the 1850s, he produced several prints in a variety of colours. Mercer was a self-taught chemist, who taught himself to read and write as a teenager whilst working as a handloom weaver. He is best known for Mercerisation, a way of preparing cloth for printing, but he did much other ground-breaking work on chemicals for printing textiles. https://britishphotohistory.ning.com/profiles/blogs/john-mercer-the-local-unsung 

1 minute ago, Tim Lewis said:

St Pancras judging by the scenes before & after

Yes it must be. The curve of the canal bank is right. And the railway bridge behind the tree. 

That would be a good one for a then and now comparison .

It just looks too rural. 

Edited by magnetman

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

Yes it must be. The curve of the canal bank is right. And the railway bridge behind the tree. 

That would be a good one for a then and now comparison .

It just looks too rural. 

It does look rural. The "colouring" too is deceiving? 

Magnetman queries the scene beyond lock gates above.

I wonder if it's at Brentford. The windmill that once stood in Windmill Lane Brentford.

I have a print of a painting that shows the old windmill, a post type with a box section mounted on a pyramid type plinth. That plinth looks like what can be seen in the image. Not chronological with the images before and after, but it does jump about a lot.

Expect a LOT of artistic licence!

1579613426_SeptKeepers019(Medium).JPG.760bf5eb3b79a3dfaa06a7f816bd4cf9.JPG

Edited by Derek R.
Add image

I think the mill is on the wrong side for it to be at Three Bridges. Also it looks to me more like a brick kiln than the base of the mill, but the brickworks were mostly around Southall and I don't know if there were any actually in London. The steerer does look remarkably smart - perhaps wearing his Sunday Best for the benefit of the film.

Tam

..The St Pancras lock scene from the old version of the film shows the railway bridge more clearly. I reckon St P lock is probably right.

Screenshot_2020-09-28-20-21-58-385_com.android.chrome.png.f2ddd0473f1c2a9ac8267748a3cff163.png

Google towpath view is interesting as well. Ok so the alignment is not the same but the path where the bollards are there is concrete sections  so probably post 1924 and very likely an infill arrangement.  

The railway bridge is definitely a bit of a giveaway on the original non colourised film as it shows the construction more clearly. 

Screenshot_2020-09-29-19-50-46-617_com.google.android_apps_maps.png.f646242406b55a6bff22b9227a6ed913.png

Another interesting one was this rather nice little lock house with a huge stack of wood beside it. 

Screenshot_2020-09-28-20-23-01-917_com.android.chrome.png.fbe1c8142024131c4b709a56c3521892.png

Any offers?

Interesting to see the Royal Humane Society signage. Popular area for swimming and ice skating perhaps? 

Presumably also some stables there. 

Eta oh yes city road lock. And yes there are stables there. And the basin there must have been a popular place for drowing in summer and winter !! 

Obvious question is why was the house demolished leaving nothing ?

IMG_20200929_201216.jpg.d7bbcf4198dbbcc8d8c122537fdb246f.jpg

Edited by magnetman

3 hours ago, OldGoat said:

Any idea what the music is?

An orchestral pice or something borrowed / written for a documentary?

I thought is might be by John Ireland - no idea why....

Soundtrack from the 1995 film Across the Sea of Time by John Barry of the James Bond theme fame

Edited by Tim Lewis