Bingley 5 - worrying YouTube vlog re safety

gbclive

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Forum member @huami appears in that one. Well at least his boat does near the start, I presume its him on it.

Screenshot_20201016-194236_Chrome.jpg

Yes, definitely me! (moored next to my traveling companions "Slow-n-Easy").  I remember saying hello to the guyz from Foxes Afloat from my mooring about 80cm from the tow path as there was quite a substantial concrete ledge under the water. I love their video's, their humor and their their content is always very informative. 

IMG_20200916_080701.jpg

• 1 month later...

The bow well-deck on my barge,  surprisingly, has no draining holes (or "scuppers"), so I'm going to make some holes of a suitable size. Since the steel floor of the well-deck is not very much higher than the canal water level, I want to fit some of those "fairing thingies" just forward of the new scuppers to discourage waves from entering.

My question is this: I've forgotten the proper name for those "fairing thingies", so I can't look for them on eBay. Can anyone please advise me and rescue me from this senior moment, please?

I am not sure what you mean, but is there a reason why your bow is low in the water?

Is the bow /or the whole boat over ballasted, is that the reason no scuppers were ever made?

Are you thinking of ventilator grids such as may be found on some boats to ventilate the engine compartment? These should be at least ten inches above waterline, I believe, others will confirm..

They are not going to prevent the boat siinking. My throgh holes or scuppers have no fairing, the idea is to allow water to escape faster than it comes in.

The only device I can think of that allows water out is the dorade box which is a cabin ventilator sitting in a box with elevated sides, it can't be that.

Is the boat floating as the designer intended, or has it been ovetplated, and the extra weight caused it to lower itself., though there would be evidence of scuppers being overplated if they were originally in the well deck.

Edited by LadyG

5 hours ago, Trevor Lyons said:

The bow well-deck on my barge,  surprisingly, has no draining holes (or "scuppers"), so I'm going to make some holes of a suitable size. Since the steel floor of the well-deck is not very much higher than the canal water level, I want to fit some of those "fairing thingies" just forward of the new scuppers to discourage waves from entering.

My question is this: I've forgotten the proper name for those "fairing thingies", so I can't look for them on eBay. Can anyone please advise me and rescue me from this senior moment, please?

If you provide the CRT number, someone will check it's details on the boat listing to be found on '  canal route planner ', this may help. You say barge, is it s narrowboat by any chance?

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, Nut said:

a right pair of moaners akin going to a never ending  cohen concert

I like their vlogs, I think this is the only one of it's ilk, and they've been cc ing for three years.

I don't think people took in the fact that the lock keeper took over the locking, AND that he did not warn them of the leakiness, the combination of these two factors raised alarm bells.

As I say, I watch most of their vlogs, and have met them in person (at Thorne, maybe), very pleasant couple, more intelligent, and after three year's cc'ing, more experienced than most.

Edited by LadyG

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

I am not sure what you mean, but is there a reason why your bow is low in the water?

Is the bow /or the whole boat over ballasted, is that the reason no scuppers were ever made?

Are you thinking of ventilator grids such as may be found on some boats to ventilate the engine compartment? These should be at least ten inches above waterline, I believe, others will confirm..

They are not going to prevent the boat siinking. My throgh holes or scuppers have no fairing, the idea is to allow water to escape faster than it comes in.

The only device I can think of that allows water out is the dorade box which is a cabin ventilator sitting in a box with elevated sides, it can't be that.

Is the boat floating as the designer intended, or has it been ovetplated, and the extra weight caused it to lower itself., though there would be evidence of scuppers being overplated if they were originally in the well deck.

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

If you provide the CRT number, someone will check it's details on the boat listing to be found on '  canal route planner ', this may help. You say barge, is it s narrowboat by any chance?

He said the bottom of the well deck was close to the waterline, not the bow. Aren’t all well decks close to the waterline by their very nature?

Having a bow close to the waterline isn’t necessarily an issue anyway, it just means your hull is mostly in the water rather than out of it. Not a bad thing for a boat but it does create limitations for foredecks and gas locker vents.

The well deck must drain somewhere otherwise it would be full of rainwater so I suggest the OP works that out before changing anything otherwise the function of the new scuppers may only be to let water in.

21 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I like their vlogs, I think this is the only one of it's ilk, and they've been cc ing for three years.

I don't think people took in the fact that the lock keeper took over the locking, AND that he did not warn them of the leakiness, the combination of these two factors raised alarm bells.

As I say, I watch most of their vlogs, and have met them in person (at Thorne, maybe), very pleasant couple, more intelligent, and after three year's cc'ing, more experienced than most.

A whole three years?? Wow. They must be experts now then....?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Trevor Lyons said:

"Scupper valves" (better than fairing thingies)

Loads of different types and designs

Attwood Scupper Valve

Flush Mount Scupper Valve - Drain Plugs - Water System - Water & Fuel System

Edited by Alan de Enfield

54 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I thought we had all already explained this one. Re lock keeper warning the skipper about the gates leaking, surely the skipper could see for himself as he came into the lock that the gates which were just in front of his boat were leaking? of course if he was chatting  to the skipper on the other boat he may have missed it.... . Also, I know you haven't done the Bingley locks or probably never even seen them but they are very deep and for the lock keeper up on top to speak to the skipper of a boat in the bottom of the lock, is not easy, especially when that skipper is too busy chatting. They may very well be a very pleasant couple who have been  boating for all of three years but there is no way they are experienced and lack of attention is no excuse for blaming anyone else for their perceived problem. 

I think you need to get yourself off the Chesterfield and experience a bit more of the canal system for yourself and not take as gospel what you read on blogs ? 

haggis

• Greenie 4

1 minute ago, haggis said:

I think you need to get yourself off the Chesterfield and experience a bit more of the canal system for yourself and not take as gospel what you read on blogs ? 

haggis

Don’t you realise that these people who write blogs know everything and in fact nowadays you don’t actually have to go boating at all...you just repeat what you have watched on YouTube and you automatically become an expert too. 

• Greenie 1

I though we were finished criticising vloggers, any vloggers, just on principle that people are getting the wrong idea (nomatter what idea) about boating, about locking, about cooking, dog walking, the wrong kind of loo, the wrong kind of stove, the wrong kind of narrowboat, the wrong kind of barge, scuppers, through holes, compost toilets that don't, incinerator toilets that won't, etc etc.

Anyway, I will be out and about middle of next week  and maybe even cruise, continously, or constantly, or just keep going at 1mph 'till I get back to reality.

Soon need coal, might get more diesel,, will put some additive in the spare containers, I should be using about 10-12 litres per week instead of 5-6 which is just for domestic.

20 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I though we were finished criticising vloggers, any vloggers, just on principle that people are getting the wrong idea (nomatter what idea) about boating, about locking, about cooking, dog walking, the wrong kind of loo, the wrong kind of stove, the wrong kind of narrowboat, the wrong kind of barge, scuppers, through holes, compost toilets that don't, incinerator toilets that won't, etc etc.

Only ever a temporary respite, what else do we have to talk about?

Do not suggest Covid 19 or Brexit, sick to the back teeth reading the moaners about like subjects.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'd forgotten about these scupper valves; thanks very much. I'll use them, in conjunction with the "thingies" (of which I attach a sketch) which are more common of sea-going boats.

Scupper fairing.jpg

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, LadyG said:

If you provide the CRT number, someone will check it's details on the boat listing to be found on '  canal route planner ', this may help.

I'm confused. You gave the same answer to someone who was asking about ballast. What information relating to the query will the CRT number provide?

Tam

Just now, Trevor Lyons said:

I'd forgotten about these scupper valves; thanks very much. I'll use them, in conjunction with the "thingies" (of which I attach a sketch) which are more common of sea-going boats.

Scupper fairing.jpg

Yes I knew what you meant, I have them on my anchor locker drains.

Not easy to see ..............................

Inked17-10-19f-LI.jpg

3 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

I'm confused.

It's not you that is confused.

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

Anyway, I will be out and about middle of next week  and maybe even cruise, continously, or constantly, or just keep going at 1mph 'till I get back to reality.

Why not give Bingley 5-Rise a try? You may find that the top gates leak like they have for as long as I remember but you could make a blog to show it's really no big deal unless you are looking for a sensational title. 
BTW did they do a blog of themselves descending Wigan Flight I could do with something to cheer me up.

Edited by Midnight
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Attwood Scupper Valve

Flush Mount Scupper Valve - Drain Plugs - Water System - Water & Fuel System

Nice to sea a “Bumpy Water” boater who knows what they’re talking about, unlike one with 40 years experience on bumpy waters and less then 2 on canals who once again only shows her lack of knowledge with all things boat and canal related. I image most people on here know I’m referring to.

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

3 hours ago, Trevor Lyons said:

Scupper fairing.jpg

Depends how far back your scupper holes are, if too far back then the first time you pull in against some steel pilling you will squash them flat.

5 hours ago, Tam & Di said:

I'm confused. You gave the same answer to someone who was asking about ballast. What information relating to the query will the CRT number provide?

Tam

He says it's a barge, well that in itself is odd, so it might helgp to identify the build, eg if it turned out to be a fifty year old springer, or a ten year old dutch barge, someone might know the boat, or the characteristics, as others have said, you'd imagine it might have something to drain the well deck if it is s NB, it could be a tug style, ould be anything.

Edited by LadyG

5 hours ago, Midnight said:

Why not give Bingley 5-Rise a try? You may find that the top gates leak like they have for as long as I remember but you could make a blog to show it's really no big deal unless you are looking for a sensational title. 
BTW did they do a blog of themselves descending Wigan Flight I could do with something to cheer me up.

Yes, out a few days ago. They had oodles of help but still had to wait for CaRT staff to come and help them through a broken lock. They say that CaRT asked them not to film them working on the lock. Now, the team were probably pushing at the boundaries of approved procedures to get a quick solution but may be, just may be, there was another factor at play?

• Greenie 1

• 1 hour ago, LadyG said:

He says it's a barge, well that in itself is odd, so it might helgp to identify the build, eg if it turned out to be a fifty year old springer, or a ten year old dutch barge, someone might know the boat, or the characteristics, as others have said, you'd imagine it might have something to drain the well deck if it is s NB, it could be a tug style, ould be anything. #1155

Below is a previous post he put in a topic, which describes his boat and by the looks of it the well deck is covered by a Cratch type cover and can’t see any Scuppers or drains, but looking at the design I imagine the deck would be well above the water  line:

This is my river barge (here shown as an immobile live-aboard on the Trent & Mersey at Longport Wharf). She's now out off the water being prepared for a road trip to Reading, and thence via the Thames to France.

Note the very fine signwriting showing her new name, the artist being Mick from "A-Z sign writing", Werrington, Stoke-on-Trent (07973 193320‬).

barge1a.JPG

20200425_101640 copy.jpg

Edited by PD1964

54 minutes ago, LadyG said:

He says it's a barge, well that in itself is odd, so it might helgp to identify the build, eg if it turned out to be a fifty year old springer, or a ten year old dutch barge, someone might know the boat, or the characteristics, as others have said, you'd imagine it might have something to drain the well deck if it is s NB, it could be a tug style, ould be anything.

I agree that it is somewhat unusual for a canal craft with forward well deck not to have scuppers, but I've no idea what information you can get by knowledge of a CRT number, and if it is not on CRT waters it is not necessarily even going to have one. But he says "My question is this: I've forgotten the proper name for those "fairing thingies", so I can't look for them on eBay. Can anyone please advise me and rescue me from this senior moment, please?", so he knew exactly what he wanted and I cannot for the life of me understand how your query relates to that. You said exactly the same thing when someone was asking about ballast and it struck me as an odd comment then.

Tam

• Greenie 2