Bingley 5 - worrying YouTube vlog re safety

gbclive

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

I agree that it is somewhat unusual for a canal craft with forward well deck not to have scuppers, but I've no idea what information you can get by knowledge of a CRT number, and if it is not on CRT waters it is not necessarily even going to have one. But he says "My question is this: I've forgotten the proper name for those "fairing thingies", so I can't look for them on eBay. Can anyone please advise me and rescue me from this senior moment, please?", so he knew exactly what he wanted and I cannot for the life of me understand how your query relates to that. You said exactly the same thing when someone was asking about ballast and it struck me as an odd comment then.

Tam

See above for a picture of his Barge going by a previous post he made.

4 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

See above for a picture of his Barge going by a previous post he made.

I remembered his boat/barge and his plan to take it to France from a previous thread, but even allowing for the fact that threads do often wander I couldn't see the significance of LadyG's post which appeared to be answering a different query altogether. Hence my query.

Tam

3 hours ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

Obviously they are new to boating...They missed a perfect opportunity to learn how to "rack-up" a lock with the ash from the burner!.?

I reckon all the boat youtubers need the ash for their compost bogs, which seem to be the fashion at the moment.

(Ugh, worse than cassettes!)

?

Edited by Victor Vectis
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

I remembered his boat/barge and his plan to take it to France from a previous thread, but even allowing for the fact that threads do often wander I couldn't see the significance of LadyG's post which appeared to be answering a different query altogether. Hence my query.

Tam

I was answering the barge boaters query, which should be on it's own thread, was going to askma mod to split it, but someone started up again about the Bingley vlog.

1 hour ago, Tam & Di said:

Tam

I think most of the stuff she says is insignificant, as she comes across as having little experience and knowledge about boats, even though she says she has 42 years worth??

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 2

11 hours ago, LadyG said:

I like their vlogs, I think this is the only one of it's ilk, and they've been cc ing for three years.

I don't think people took in the fact that the lock keeper took over the locking, AND that he did not warn them of the leakiness, the combination of these two factors raised alarm bells.

As I say, I watch most of their vlogs, and have met them in person (at Thorne, maybe), very pleasant couple, more intelligent, and after three year's cc'ing, more experienced than most.

You can see the water peeing out as you come into the empty lock, well you can if you are paying attention

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

You can see the water peeing out as you come into the empty lock, well you can if you are paying attention

Funnily enough I ascended Buckby lock 11 a few weeks ago and afterwards it struck me I never noticed the blown cill.

I must be a terrible boater ?

Or maybe it’s because I have a short boat and went nowhere near the top gates. I also didn’t have to empty the lock and force the bottom gates open when it wouldn’t quite empty, that’s because a boat exited it coming the other way.

Or even more likely it’s because I was paying too much attention to the boat I was ascending with. The same folks who managed to sink their hire boat when descending the flight the next day.

3 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

They say that CaRT asked them not to film them working on the lock. Now, the team were probably pushing at the boundaries of approved procedures to get a quick solution but may be, just may be, there was another factor at play?

As they often do to get us boaters on our way

On 28/11/2020 at 11:19, Midnight said:

Why not give Bingley 5-Rise a try? You may find that the top gates leak like they have for as long as I remember but you could make a blog to show it's really no big deal unless you are looking for a sensational title. 
BTW did they do a blog of themselves descending Wigan Flight I could do with something to cheer me up.

Their Wigan Flight vlog shows a level of inexperience as the two boats enter each lock separately with the first one in having to step off and hold the boat to the side. Anyone with a level of experience would have asked the other boater to enter the lock at the same time so they are side by side or even strapped the boats together and moved them as a single unit.  The only time to enter a wide lock separately is it it is known the entrance isn't wide enough, as per some on the K&A, or if you are short of crew and only opening one gate so the first boat goes in and then moves behind the closed gate.

32 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Their Wigan Flight vlog shows a level of inexperience as the two boats enter each lock separately with the first one in having to step off and hold the boat to the side. Anyone with a level of experience would have asked the other boater to enter the lock at the same time so they are side by side or even strapped the boats together and moved them as a single unit.  The only time to enter a wide lock separately is it it is known the entrance isn't wide enough, as per some on the K&A, or if you are short of crew and only opening one gate so the first boat goes in and then moves behind the closed gate.

It gives me a smidgen of satisfaction when doing that to see the puzzlement on folks faces, especially those not on a boat.

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

Yes definitely the best way to do Wigan flight. Just looked made me wince to see him exit a double lock with only one gate open oblivious to the damage that can cause to the gate mitres. Now who was it whinging about leaking gates?

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

Omg, three years  at 365 days per year, and they are 'inexperienced', I can't believe the nutters on here.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

Thanks.

An experienced boater will know how to boat efficiently.

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Just because you have a boat it doesn’t have to make you a boater...I think that’s being proved here. 

But it can make you into a sensationalist YouTuber .....

9 hours ago, LadyG said:

Omg, three years  at 365 days per year, and they are 'inexperienced', I can't believe the nutters on here.

Three years as livaboard could make them experienced with living on a boat, but watching some of their recent Vlogs they show a lack of experience in certain situations and also a lack of knowledge of how to cope with these situations.

I think they have got into a routine with doing the locks(She does the locks and He does the boat while on his phone) and when it goes wrong their inexperience shows and they struggle to cope with it, where experienced boaters would just deal with it and not bat an eye lid and also not make a song & dance about it like these do. I also can’t believe how much moaning they do at the end of their Vlogs, especially after their Wigan Vlog when they had ample crew to lock for them. Every day must be so hard, as she always looks worn out. Maybe they want to try doing it single handed, then they will realise how easy they have it and maybe not moan so much.

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 3

8 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Three years as livaboard could make them experienced with living on a boat, but watching some of their recent Vlogs they show a lack of experience in certain situations and also a lack of knowledge of how to cope with these situations.

I think they have got into a routine with doing the locks(She does the locks and He does the boat while on his phone) and when it goes wrong their inexperience shows and they struggle to cope with it, where experienced boaters would just deal with it and not bat an eye lid and also not make a song & dance about it like these do. I also can’t believe how much moaning they do at the end of their Vlogs, especially after their Wigan Vlog when they had ample crew to lock for them. Every day must be so hard, as she always looks worn out. Maybe they want to try doing it single handed, then they will realise how easy they have it and maybe not moan so much.

Yes spot on. I think their constant moaning is all part of their perverse idea on how to sensationalise what would otherwise be a pretty boring vlog. I suspect they have had some short-lived interest from forum users since this thread started. That leak at Bingley is fairly standard and it's a bit inconvenient coming down yet I've not seen any scathing comments from other boaters. Wigan is a pain but not with a big crew and water gushing down the by-washes. Other long flights are hard work, try the Huddersfield single-handed. I wonder if their so called 'disasters' cause concern to less experienced boaters who may be influenced to avoid the Pennine waterways just because Michael and Jo can't deal with leaking gates on big locks.

• Greenie 1

21 hours ago, Rob-M said:

When we were going up Wigan and about to exit from the first lock I said to the other helm we were sharing with "Shall we go in together?". "Oh no" says he, "I might damage your paintwork". I told him I wasn't bothered but he still wanted to drive in individually. Then he told me to go in first so it was me who had to do all the maneuvering to get to one side at every other lock. 

50 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

When we were going up Wigan and about to exit from the first lock I said to the other helm we were sharing with "Shall we go in together?". "Oh no" says he, "I might damage your paintwork". I told him I wasn't bothered but he still wanted to drive in individually. Then he told me to go in first so it was me who had to do all the maneuvering to get to one side at every other lock. 

I would have held back so they caught up just before the lock, if someone insists on going in separately then I tell them they are going first as I won't be getting off and roping the boat in at every lock.

54 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

I would have held back so they caught up just before the lock, if someone insists on going in separately then I tell them they are going first as I won't be getting off and roping the boat in at every lock.

This share boat enjoyed the experience coming up Hatton with us, each of the share boat crew had a turn as they had never gone in to a wide lock together before.

Working up Hatton

Out of interest what are the insurance implications for breasting up, say some damage was to occur to the boat not being helmed? I know towing is often not covered by policies. I'd guess breasting up is a form of towing for insurance purposes?

Planning on doing Wigan for the first time next year, possibly single handed too and would be much easier if breasting up is an option of course.

Personally, I prefer it when we enter (and leave) the locks one at a time, rather than together. We've had a number of issues (mostly from leaving, admittedly) where there wouldn't have been issue when going in/out one at a time. However I appreciate that some boaters want to be more efficient. 

We've no issue roping up first and getting ourselves pulled over to the side - it's what we do when soloing so makes little difference to us when doubling with another. 

In terms of Bingley 3/5 Rise, we've come up and down there a number of times now and I'd say our experience is very much that we would rather man it ourselves. Typically we've felt fairly rushed (especially going up). We've taken a few knocks when we didn't need to (in my humble opinion). Maybe we're just a little too laid back and happy to go slow, hah! :)

The CRT staff are always in a tough position when manning locks where boaters feel their way is best (even when it very well might be!) 

1 hour ago, Unicorn Stampede said:

Personally, I prefer it when we enter (and leave) the locks one at a time, rather than together. We've had a number of issues (mostly from leaving, admittedly) where there wouldn't have been issue when going in/out one at a time. However I appreciate that some boaters want to be more efficient. 

We've no issue roping up first and getting ourselves pulled over to the side - it's what we do when soloing so makes little difference to us when doubling with another. 

In terms of Bingley 3/5 Rise, we've come up and down there a number of times now and I'd say our experience is very much that we would rather man it ourselves. Typically we've felt fairly rushed (especially going up). We've taken a few knocks when we didn't need to (in my humble opinion). Maybe we're just a little too laid back and happy to go slow, hah! :)

The CRT staff are always in a tough position when manning locks where boaters feel their way is best (even when it very well might be!) 

The Bingley staff are very experienced but you can still get bounced around as the paddles are so fierce. Barry didn't suffer fools and I think the new(ish) guys learned from him and of course they are often under pressure from boats waiting above and below.

28 minutes ago, Midnight said:

The Bingley staff are very experienced but you can still get bounced around as the paddles are so fierce. Barry didn't suffer fools and I think the new(ish) guys learned from him and of course they are often under pressure from boats waiting above and below.

Seems that there is a distinction between volunteers and staff. The former only 'assist' and the skipper always has the right to dictate how the lock should be operated. When 'staff will operate the lock' - which seems also to happen when there is malfunction that requires care to take a boat through - it does seem that the staff have a greater say, if only to prevent action rather than taking over (amounts to the same in the end).