Bingley 5 - worrying YouTube vlog re safety

gbclive

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, sirweste said:

I skimmed the vid, looks like the splashing at 5:40 ish is the topic? Seemed fine to me, would just run off the deck. Even if the deck completely filled I wouldn't have thought it would have sinkeded.

They did leave their bow doors open in one of the previous locks and flooded the boat ...

(Not in this video)

They're both quite experienced boaters - maybe 'quite' in therms of some on here who've been boating since Time Imoral.

four years  at least - the boat came from Pyrford on the Wey (I think they had 'my' mooring) from two marina owners ago - that's ten years plus...

Someone above wrote 'keep well back' - theirs is 57' in a 60' lock thus they couldn't have been much further back....

It's  a deep lock as is the next in the flight and quite scary, 'specially as I think they've not seen a really leaky lock before...

13 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

Someone above wrote 'keep well back' - theirs is 57' in a 60' lock thus they couldn't have been much further back...

CRT quote maximum boat length of 63'6" for that section of the Leeds Liverpool.  The short boats built for the canal are 62' long.

ll-dimensions.jpg.687242c8f3a9be0fcd68fe4a8d1276fe.jpg

40 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

They did leave their bow doors open in one of the previous locks and flooded the boat ...

(Not in this video)

That shows a lack of experience, I never leave bow doors open when locking up.

A couple of years ago we went through Leicester with another boat and whacked the gate paddles up which sent a fair amount of water over the boats but it was intentional and we weren't panicking about sinking.

On 28/09/2020 at 08:30, robtheplod said:

I wouldn't call Jo and Michael newbies.... they have done more cruising than most I would suspect?

This.  Michael and Jo are hardcore CCers who are doing the silver propeller challenge.  There vlog is one of the few boaty channels I bother watching any more.

Edited by The Gravy Boater

26 minutes ago, garibaldi said:

I feel sorry for the CRT employee/volunteers.  They are coming in for an enormous amount of flak (including physical threats) in the comments none of which are condemned by the vloggers.  

Yes off all their non boater clueless followers, this is all about their Vlog, followers and his ego.

3 hours ago, The Gravy Boater said:

This.  Michael and Jo are hardcore CCers who are doing the silver propeller challenge.  There vlog is one of the few boaty channels I bother watching any more.

I wouldn’t put these boaters on a pedestal. They’ve been on the canal 3 years hardly hardcore. Once they’ve done the system and his obsession with the Silver Propellor challenge, the boat will be sold and they will be off.

4 hours ago, The Gravy Boater said:

I got mates double double hardcore doing that challenge. 
They have no need to vlog or blog. 
I’ve never understood the need to blog and vlog 

Has nowt happened unless it’s put on social media? 

I quietly plod along
Occasionally writing a letters to friends

Why would I wanna watch others boating when I can be boating instead?

I don’t watch people driving on the Internet when I’m not in me car. 

What a load of bollocks. 
It’s enough going the pub and listening to boaters whinge whinge whinge. 

• Greenie 3
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I quietly plod along

What a load of bollocks. 

Im not sure you get the point of some of these vlogs then.

They are not aimed at people lucky enough to be able to live on a boat or go boating regularly as leisure boaters.

They are aimed at people with an interest in boats and boating who get their boating 'fix' watching other people doing it.

Of course choosing who gets watched needs consideration. That goes without saying.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

31 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

They are not aimed at people lucky enough to be able to live on a boat or go boating regularly as leisure boaters.

They are aimed at people with an interest in boats and boating who get their boating 'fix' watching other people doing it.

Of course choosing who gets watched needs consideration. That goes without saying.

A bit like blue movies you mean

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I dunno, it all seems like self gratification, and self indulgence. 

I’ve met a plenty of people who enjoy watching them

So hey ho. 
Each to their own. 

9 hours ago, Goliath said:

I quietly plod along

What a load of bollocks. 

let me tell you a secret... some of these vloggers earn decent money, enough to sustain themselves and do what they like to do.

if you want to ask what is there for viewers, well what is there for people to watch a bunch of men kicking a ball around or pretend to be somebody else on camera with an elaborate story and costume? Its upto viewers to decide what they want to see.

Edited by restlessnomad
  • Greenie 2

15 hours ago, OldGoat said:

They're both quite experienced boaters - maybe 'quite' in therms of some on here who've been boating since Time Imoral.

four years  at least - the boat came from Pyrford on the Wey (I think they had 'my' mooring) from two marina owners ago - that's ten years plus...

Someone above wrote 'keep well back' - theirs is 57' in a 60' lock thus they couldn't have been much further back....

It's  a deep lock as is the next in the flight and quite scary, 'specially as I think they've not seen a really leaky lock before...

15 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

CRT quote maximum boat length of 63'6" for that section of the Leeds Liverpool.  The short boats built for the canal are 62' long.

ll-dimensions.jpg.687242c8f3a9be0fcd68fe4a8d1276fe.jpg

And it’s not just that ‘extra’ 3’ 6” that’s available. The stated length would be clear of the swing of the bottom gates and measured to the edge of cill where it protrudes most into the chamber. There will be about 6’ available behind the boat once the gates are shut and possibly a similar distance from the extremes of the cill to the top gates. As someone has pointed out the possible reason that they don’t show the resulting filling of the well deck is because he does actually use the space created behind; which leaves them open to the suggestion that the risk was largely momentary and was dealt with by a combination of theirs’ and the lock keeper’s action. We’ll never know and it doesn’t really matter since no harm appears to have been done. I think every early boat hire I ever did had these little dramas. Funny how they happen less often with experience.

59 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

let me tell you a secret... some of these vloggers earn decent money, enough to sustain themselves and do what they like to do.

if you want to ask what is there for viewers, well what is there for people to watch a bunch of men kicking a ball around or pretend to be somebody else on camera with an elaborate story and costume? Its upto viewers to decide what they want to see.

To earn money needs ‘clicks’ and which will do best -

a).  The most dangerous lock ............

or

b).  Another leaky lock.

Hence the constant flow of exaggeration & lies on social media.  From the very top of society down.  

48 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

To earn money needs ‘clicks’ and which will do best -

a).  The most dangerous lock ............

or

b).  Another leaky lock.

Hence the constant flow of exaggeration & lies on social media.  From the very top of society down.  

that is true, but the top tier vloggers dont rely on click baits, its usually the struggling / beginner ones... 

9 hours ago, Goliath said:

I dunno, it all seems like self gratification, and self indulgence. 

I’ve met a plenty of people who enjoy watching them

So hey ho. 
Each to their own. 

I see the vlogging as fundamentally the same as publishing a book about living on/cruising the canals. There's a huge span of quality and interest there, from game changers like Temple Thurston and Tom Rolt, to those who ran a shop from a boat for two seasons in the 80s and produced forgettable memoirs thereof - but the basic impulse to share the experience, and maybe profit a bit financially, is the same.

vloggers are just doing what TV has been for years. They put out some content, some think its good and others think its shite, they tempt you in with a dramatic advert or, in a vlog, an enticing picture and title. They call it 'click bait' for a reason.

My friends do it (in the mountain bike world) and make a living from it. There's enough punters out there to make it viable.

Nowt against it, after all superlatives make you the president of america so can't fault them for using them too.

But yes, as discussed, this lock wasn't dangerous in the grand scheme of things and the lack of footage was disappointing / suspicious

18 minutes ago, sirweste said:

But yes, as discussed, this lock wasn't dangerous in the grand scheme of things and the lack of footage was disappointing / suspicious

That's my take.  The boat in question has a fixed camera mounted on the bow, so when it "got dangerous" and they "stopped filming" did she climb down into the filling lock to stop the camera, or did he leave the tiller and go through the boat to stop the camera?

I'd be very interested to see the next minute or so of footage after the cut.  I strongly suspect it shows a decreasing splash of water into the welldeck as the boat goes back towards the tailgate and the level rises as the lockie starts filling the lock.

I personally wouldn't be interested at all to see this. It's very likely that's what happened, but they've indeed edited the footage to make it the most 'exciting'. Either way, pretty dull viewing in my eyes. Each to their own and best of luck to them with their creativity and click bait career

31 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

That's my take.  The boat in question has a fixed camera mounted on the bow, so when it "got dangerous" and they "stopped filming" did she climb down into the filling lock to stop the camera, or did he leave the tiller and go through the boat to stop the camera?

I'd be very interested to see the next minute or so of footage after the cut.  I strongly suspect it shows a decreasing splash of water into the welldeck as the boat goes back towards the tailgate and the level rises as the lockie starts filling the lock.

I too suspect that they did not actually stop filming but a GoPro - if that’s what it is - can be controlled remotely from an app so they wouldn’t have had to climb down or leave the tiller.

Edited by Captain Pegg