Bingley 5 - worrying YouTube vlog re safety

gbclive

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

Having just watched the relevant part of the video, I was pleased to see they have reduced gate leakage on the 5 rise!

Top tip when boating: have either a self draining well deck or a good bilge pump ...

Its funny you should say that but I have just watched a video of us going into the exact same chamber and on the same side too. But the flow whilst noticeable was actually much better/less than that shown in this video.

Then I checked the date, it was October 2006! 14 years ago.

7 hours ago, PD1964 said:

Shame they stopped filming as viewers would of seen the flow over their bows quickly stop once he moves the boat back towards the bottom gates and also when the boat quickly rises. Total OTT reaction and an excuse for some CaRT bashing and dramatic Vlog Headlines. b

Agree 100% and maybe the scuppers in the well deck are just far too small.

3 hours ago, Goliath said:

99% of the time I leave the phone inside. 
I enjoy the boating too much to want to be answering calls. Also, I know it’d end up in the water. 

I whizzed through the vlog, too much talk and blather. 
Hardly succinct. 
Shit happens. 

A feller fell in today mooring up, just as we passed his boat and he lost his phone. I stopped and went back by which time he was spluttering on the towpath. He went back in for the phone, after I had helped to drag him out for the third time I left him to it. The wife said it was an expensive phone, I asked if it was worth more than her husband and just claim on the insurance, After we had gone, looking back he was back in.

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

A feller fell in today mooring up, just as we passed his boat and he lost his phone. I stopped and went back by which time he was spluttering on the towpath. He went back in for the phone, after I had helped to drag him out for the third time I left him to it. The wife said it was an expensive phone, I asked if it was worth more than her husband and just claim on the insurance, After we had gone, looking back he was back in.

Wait for the Vlog where he blames it on a 'stupid CRT chap'...

4 hours ago, Goliath said:

I whizzed through the vlog, too much talk and blather. 
Hardly succinct. 
Shit happens. 

Unfortunately 'too much blather' is a hallmark of their videos.

They normally have a long pre amble and then an equally long summary at the end. I used to just ff past the first bit and cease watching the last bit as the boaty bits are quite interesting because of where they have cruised, bits we have never done.

19 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Agree 100% and maybe the scuppers in the well deck are just far too small.

It’s a Liverpool built boat so I image lots have done that route and survived leaking gates. Just looked at a couple of “Liverpools” and the scuppers don’t look inadequate. Just inexperience with leaking gates and all about a dramatic headline from experienced Vloggers. Big difference between experienced Boaters and experienced Vloggers(but in-experienced boaters) as this Vlog shows.

Edited by PD1964
  • Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

I re-watched the video, the couple seem genuinely shaken and angry...  think the lock keeper should have worded it better.

If you look at their previous they left the frond doors open when they did Oddy staircase Locks and water drenched their carpet inside the boat. I think they still had this on their mind(especially the panic stricken wife) which has caused all the over reaction with the leaky gate and CaRT.

27 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

If you look at their previous they left the frond doors open when they did Oddy staircase Locks and water drenched their carpet inside the boat. I think they still had this on their mind(especially the panic stricken wife) which has caused all the over reaction with the leaky gate and CaRT.

if you are panicking, the last thing you want to hear is 'that's why you should have cratch cover and bigger holes'... especially if you are new to boating (which CRT staff has no way of knowing)

5 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

if you are panicking, the last thing you want to hear is 'that's why you should have cratch cover and bigger holes'... especially if you are new to boating (which CRT staff has no way of knowing)

Its a statement of fact though, a cratch cover would have helped (yes I do know its not a saftey device ladyG) as would decent sized well deck drains.

We only have their word as to the context it was said along with the tone because it wasnt for whatever reason filmed. They film much their blogs using fixed camera(s) which run continuously untill the storage is full.

There was also no need to 'panic'.

They also blogged about a 'lock rage' incident recently and again provided no evidence, but that was also the prominent feature of the title........

1 hour ago, restlessnomad said:

We will never know the full conversation they had with CaRT as for once they never filmed it, unlike the every mile and lock they have done before on the canals which they film and only have one side in the heat of the moment. 
  Looking at the leak and knowing they have enough room to move to the rear of the lock I think they are totally over reacting and the whole incident was made worse by her nervous disposition and lack of experience with staircase locks.

If you look at their first Vlog from when they bought the boat the boat had a cratch cover, so they obviously thought they didn’t need it or maybe it got in the way of their filming for their Vlogs.

Edited by PD1964

Practical Point

On a staircase, if there is water coming into the well deck it is better to bring the boat up faster, thus reducing the head pressure of water from the lock above the boat, whilst simultaneously raising the boat above the level of the water spraying into it. To close the paddles on the head gates and empty the lock so the boat could reverse out, would take far longer (and thus increase the amount of water shipped ) than to raise the boat to a level where leakage from the head gates was no longer a problem. The lock keeper was absolutely right.   Wonder why Bingley is  assisted passage only when there are muppets like this about?  There are plenty of hire companies ( Silsden Boats, Sowerby Bridge, ABC ) whose 60 foot boats go up and down 5 Rise every week and none of them have cratch covers. Ask nicely and the lockies at Bingley have boards to put  over the front doors it they think water might get into a boat. When I go up Bingley I moan about the water soaking all the  firewood on my roof. When I go down I wear my bikini. Beware of septics talking crap. 

Finally watched this last night with the Mrs, usual fare from Miserable List, they moan a lot about incidents they don't show you so you have to take their "we've done 2/3rds of the system" word for it. Rest assured that when they've done the other 3rd of the system that boat will be up for sale in short order and they'll move on to completing something else. It's very telling that you only see one side of it, i noticed on the Three Rise they blurred out the lockies face, surely they could have done the same for the Five Rise to protect identities, but this might show up their own complacency.

As said above, these are the first locks you come across when leaving Silsden hire base, if they were that dangerous you'd only be allowed to go to Skipton

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:
25 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

you have to take their "we've done 2/3rds of the system" word for it.

I've met dozens of people who have been boating for years but who are just as inept as when they first started. I see it suggested that this couple had a bad experience earlier where their carpet got wet in a similar leaking lock, and that was said to excuse the trauma they express. If true I find it no excuse whatsoever - bad things happen, and you learn from them.

Locks are a potentially dangerous scenario and deserve the full attention of the boater - unfortunately this couple seem more concerned with making video than developing boating skill.

Tam

Edited by Tam & Di
  • Greenie 1

On 28/09/2020 at 20:49, ditchcrawler said:

I was thinking about that as I was locking up some leaky T&M locks today and really its obvious, She was more interested in making her video and filming her hubby chatting than what was happening to the boat. Why do boats sink in locks, because people dont pay attention to whats happening

I think Jo was trying tio bring the danger to the attention of the lock keeper, her access was limited, she would not endanger her vessel for the sake of drama. If you re watch the vlog I think you will note that this is explained. Mike and Jo are very experienced boaters and not prone to dramatics. 

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I think Jo was trying tio bring the danger to the attention of the lock keeper, her access was limited, she would not endanger her vessel for the sake of drama. If you re watch the vlog I think you will note that this is explained. Mike and Jo are very experienced boaters and not prone to dramatics. 

they do put clickbait titles in their videos just like the one with two ladies above... in this instance though I feel they are genuinely angry. 

5 hours ago, haggis said:

They may have been boating for a long time ( don't know) but  they are certainly not very experienced boaters. If they were experienced  she would have shouted down to the skipper immediately she saw water pouring onto the front deck and he should have seen the water coming through the gate  and moved the boat back.  Instead, she went into panic mode (but still filming!) and he just stood on the back deck completely unaware of the situation.  An experienced boater would be watching all the time the boat was in the lock and would instinctively take action. As I said, they may have been boating for a while but there is no way they are experienced boaters. Some people watch and learn quickly and others think they know it all and carry on  regardless. 

Haggis

I would also add that as the boat enters the lock the person steering can easily see how far any leaks are spraying and would know to keep well back if they were bothered.  Even if the well deck gets an inch or two of water in the time it takes to fill the lock the boat will not take on enough water to sink, worst case if the front doors don’t shut tightly is a wet carpet.  Annoying maybe, but not life threatening.

• Greenie 2

I agree entirely. He had the option of deciding not to go in but chose to do so. He was chatting with the steerer on the other boat and totally unconcerned, and seemingly didn't even realise that water was going into his boat until he wife called on their intercom. That is not someone with much experience. After that maybe the lock keeper could have called to him, but he probably realised that there was no great danger - raising the gates to fill the lock quicker should maybe have been done as a matter of course once the problem was seen.

I've no idea who introduced the term 'through holes' - that would give me pause to understand what was meant. I'd call them scuppers or even drain holes - but then I'd not refer to the lock gates as the "doors" as the steerer seems to do.

Tam

Edited by Tam & Di

7 hours ago, LadyG said:

What do you call very experienced boaters? A couple like these that have rushed around the system to make Vlogs and promote their YouTube channel and when they have to deal with basic leaky locks fly into a panic and don’t know how to handle the situation? 
  All he had to do was to move the boat to the back of the lock and start filling the the lock to raise the boat and lesson the force of the leaks. I don’t see a 15ft jet of water coming through the lock gates, just a normal leak that many lock gates have. If you do watch their Vlogs you will see Jo is a nervous boater when faced with situations their not used to. 
  As mentioned above lots of hire boats pass through these locks without any problems or hysteria unlike these experienced boaters.

Edited by PD1964