Bingley 5 - worrying YouTube vlog re safety

gbclive

Featured Posts

23 minutes ago, haggis said:

even if he couldn't see where the water was going and he could have moved the boat back a bit.

That's exactly what was going through my mind.  They showed a photo of the water running down the gunwales of the adjacent boat like it was something special; the gates were leaky... so?

How did that advert go...."We don't make a drama out of a crisis."

The staff on the ground paddles, were told to raise them a bit quicker, but would fully raising them quickly from the start, pushed the boats forward, into the leaking cascade?

Or raising more slowly given the boats more chance to stay back in the dry?

Bod.

34 minutes ago, haggis said:

Wasted some time watching the video  and the main complaint seems to be that the skipper was not told by the CRT employee/volockie that water was coming into the bows. Why did his wife not shout down and tell him?  Surely the skipper could see from the back of his boat that the gates were leaking  even if he couldn't see where the water was going and he could have moved the boat back a bit.  I don't think all the blame rests with C &RT employees, far from it.. Much has been said on here about how experienced they are but although they may have been boating for  a while I wouldn't call their performance in that lock experienced.

haggis

That's what I thought, if I took out boat in there I would have seen the leaking gates and thought I need to keep back from there. I wouldn't of needed any walkie talkie chatter to tell me the gates are leaking.

5 hours ago, Tom and Bex said:

Haven't watched the video, but sounds like an everyday occurrence to those of us with full length boats. If I made a fuss everytime I went into a lock with gates that leaked like that I would never get anywhere! 

Very common to have water cascading over our front doors, and the well deck filling with water. Here's one from earlier this year at Bratch - and yes the well deck did fill up enough to come over the threshold. 

20200105_141202_copy_3024x1701.jpg.5b162bb9105046c9991bde5e0519a18f.jpg

Maybe a trip up Locks 38–21 on the Forth & Clyde Canal would help to put things into perspective for them. Although operated with great expertise by Scottish Canals bank staff, there is always an awful lot of water on the foredeck (tugs) or the cratch cover (other configurations) for boats over 50ft. There are no ground paddles, no bywashes and this being Scotland it is rare that the reservoirs on the top pound are not brimming full! These large locks are simply filled by humungous gate paddles that require very delicate operation until fully submerged ...........

15 hours ago, LadyG said:

A cratch cover is not a safety device, and the comment totally inapropriate, a bit like saying, it's a pity the boat sank, should have stayed in a marina.

Whilst I would agree that a cratch cover isn't a safety device. I think the deck board it is attached to most definitely is.

After all the purpose of the deck board is to stop water entering the hold (working boat) or well deck (modern boat) as well as supporting the cloths (working boat) or cratch cover (modern boat).

• Greenie 3

11 hours ago, WotEver said:

That's exactly what was going through my mind.  They showed a photo of the water running down the gunwales of the adjacent boat like it was something special; the gates were leaky... so?

I was thinking about that as I was locking up some leaky T&M locks today and really its obvious, She was more interested in making her video and filming her hubby chatting than what was happening to the boat. Why do boats sink in locks, because people dont pay attention to whats happening

• Greenie 3

We travelled up and down the five rise on route to Skipton earlier this month. The gates do leak bad. In a group of three boats and I was close to them. I want to modify / seal the back end of my boat better to stop / reduce water being able to collect in there again in a similar situation in future.  

1 hour ago, Fitter kieron said:

We travelled up and down the five rise on route to Skipton earlier this month. The gates do leak bad. In a group of three boats and I was close to them. I want to modify / seal the back end of my boat better to stop / reduce water being able to collect in there again in a similar situation in future.  

But you didn’t feel the need to make a video about how an ‘idiot CRT man nearly sunk your boat’ 

1 hour ago, Fitter kieron said:

I just close the rear doors and mop out what the bilge pump can't take care of - simples!

Bingley 5-rise is like that, best avoided by the faint-hearted. Blinkin 'eck how will these drama queens cope with the wolves on Rochdale summit?

9 hours ago, Midnight said:

I just close the rear doors and mop out what the bilge pump can't take care of - simples!

Bingley 5-rise is like that, best avoided by the faint-hearted. Blinkin 'eck how will these drama queens cope with the wolves on Rochdale summit?

Or meeting Gollum in Standedge Tunnel. The Leeds and Liverpool is the tame, easy way of boating across the Misty Mountains Pennines.

What have they got in their pocketses?

2 minutes ago, Tacet said:

Was not the steerer able to see the leak from the gates before the boat entered the lock?  If so, he could have kept to the back of the lock - or, if he didn't like the look of it at all, kept out.

He was only that close to the cill due to the back gates being closed, once he moved back he would of been clear as I believe the boat is only 57ft. Mind you he does say it was shooting 15ft into the lock. Total over reaction to a leaky gate, but a dramatic Vlog Headlines and a convenient stop in filming. 

15 minutes ago, frangar said:

There is quite enough of this faux hype and impending doom on otherwise quite interesting broadcast documentaries these days without having to watch it from some amateurs on the internet. 

I find it a bit sad and worrying that folk new to the canals will watch this couples escapades and on the basis of a fairly well produced video think they are experts at locking etc. . From this episode they are far from experts and in fact, a newbie following their procedure might well come to grief.  As well as her not shouting to her partner to tell him to move back a bit but choosing to carry on filming (but then not showing it as it didn't prove the anti C&RT point they tried to make), and him chatting to the skipper of the other boat and not paying attention to what was happening  in the lock and completely missing the fact that water was coming trough the top gates,  they just did  not act professionally and safely.  When locking, especially through a deep staircase like Bingley, the skipper and lock labourers attention should AT ALL TIMES be on what is happening in the lock and not taking videos and chatting.  I don't follow their blog but I wonder if  they are ever on here and will  read the various comments pointing out where they were at fault, or will they just carry on in their own way thinking that they are experts . 

haggis

5 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

If you watch their Vlogs they seam more concerned about filming everything and him spending more time looking at his phone then accessing any potential problems or concentrating on boat handling. 

Should be the same a driving a car, no phones when working a lock.

That way people would pay attention and less able to make silly videos.  Win win.

Edited by Chewbacka

38 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

That way people would pay attention and less able to make silly videos.  Win win.

I've never taken my car through a lock! ??

Wouldn't be on my phone even if did though.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacka said:

99% of the time I leave the phone inside. 
I enjoy the boating too much to want to be answering calls. Also, I know it’d end up in the water. 

I whizzed through the vlog, too much talk and blather. 
Hardly succinct. 
Shit happens.