Bingley 5 - worrying YouTube vlog re safety

gbclive

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

Having watched it out of interest I know why I don't watch vloggers.  What a load of over dramatic tosh.

Precisely why I don't watch newbie vloggers, I've looked a couple of times last year and realise precisely what you mean. 

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, LadyG said:

... the idiot CRT employee was pushing boats through, not advising of risks, and was totally unaware of the danger of sinking the boat.

Was there any such danger? We only have her slightly hysterical report that the boat was about to sink. I presume that by ‘through holes’ she means scuppers?

• Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Was there any such danger? We only have her slightly hysterical report that the boat was about to sink. I presume that by ‘through holes’ she means scuppers?

I would asume that would be the boating term, but I think through holes is an adequate description, and clear to all concerned, I assume Jo was 'hysterical', and Michael was the newby vlogger, and the idiot CRT employee just that.

It is quite clear that the CRT are  now aware, and will take action, best action would be to repair those leaks and re train the staff.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

Ive followed these guys for a few weeks as they have done some interesting routes, including coming out of Ocean Lock onto the Ouse and then onto the Derwent and up the Pocklington. A route I suspect very few on here have done (including me).

I was therefore a tad surprised at how anxious they were about water in their well deck.

As I was watching the video I was thinking, 'should have had a cratch cover' and it turned out that is exactly what the lock keeper said to them.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

4 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Ive followed these guys for a few weeks as they have done some interesting routes, including coming out of Ocean Lock onto the Ouse and then onto the Derwent and up the Pocklington. A route I suspect very few on here have done (including me).

I was therefore a tad surprised at how anxious they were about water in their well deck.

As I was watching the video I was thinking, 'should have had a cratch cover' and it turned out that is exactly what the lock keeper said to them.

A cratch cover is not a safety device, and the comment totally inapropriate, a bit like saying, it's a pity the boat sank, should have stayed in a marina.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

8 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Don't watch newbie vloggers and all will be well ?

Thanks...I suspected that might be the case and you’ve saved me the effort of wasting my time watching it to find what “drama” is in fact just a normal boating experience that you have to deal with....some people on YouTube..and on here it seems...are very easily shocked & entertained. 

40 minutes ago, frangar said:

Thanks...I suspected that might be the case and you’ve saved me the effort of wasting my time watching it to find what “drama” is in fact just a normal boating experience that you have to deal with....some people on YouTube..and on here it seems...are very easily shocked & entertained. 

I watch quite a few vloggers, most are pure entertainment, most of those from Persevernce are good quality video diaries, I have watched them for three years, and this is the only one where they have 'reacted', in the face of lackadaisical attitude of a paid employee who endangered the safety of the vessel and the skipper.

They make it clear that in spite of corncerns by Jo, the CRT employee was totally unconcerned, this, in spite of the fact that, unusually, but in this instance he was responsible for the safety of the vessel and it's crew.

Skippers have to make safety judgmentss every day, when I discuss boating matters with a CRT employee, I take my decision based on various factors,, if I am handing over responsibility to anyone, I will be making sure they are puting the safety of my vessel and my crew first.

I will be discussing safety considerations before tackling the Bingley Five Rise. If it is leaking like that, I will not be leaving my safety to one man, I will wait 'till a more experienced , well crewed boater comes along, and given the choice, it would be Jo or Michael!

The CRT have been very helpful when I have asked for assistance, which was only once, My first double solo lock with road bridge, I was reading the instructions when two experienced CRT staff turned up, one spent five minutes explaining procedures, then when we were both happy, took me through efficiently and amicably.

Yes, I would have got through on my own, but the grass cutters who I had asked to help, must have phoned the CRT, who responded timeously 

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 1

Whilst I would agree it is perhaps over dramatised, they are selling entertainment, and it is which makes the vlog more interesting to watch.  However I think it does raise the point again about who is in charge, and the fact that the volunteers appear to be and will ignore what the crew is telling them.

What I did not understand was why the need to rush boats through, I though the L&L was a relatively quiet waterway, are there big back logs at the locks there?

8 hours ago, Jim N said:

Mrs Melly, these newbie vloggers have been continuously cruising for nearly 3 1/2 years. At what point does one amass sufficient experience to be a moderately experienced narrowboat vlogger? 

I don't consider myself massively experienced and I finished my first 3 and a half years of ccing by about 1992. There is far too much junk on u tube and much of it is completely wrong in so many ways. There are people on here boating since the 60s that don't post on u tube, the problem is anyone can without redress and it can be very misleading. 

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

I don't consider myself massively experienced and I finished my first 3 and a half years of ccing by about 1992. There is far too much junk on u tube and much of it is completely wrong in so many ways. There are people on here boating since the 60s that don't post on u tube, the problem is anyone can without redress and it can be very misleading. 

most people put video on youtube to get money so they need to have certain entertainment value that keeps people hooked and want to come back...

although if you are too clickbaity, then you might lose subscribers... 

• Greenie 4

Full length boats can be interesting when going down in a staircase with leaky gates when the counter gets a good soaking along with the steerer and the cabin if you have the doors open.

Just now, restlessnomad said:

most people put video on youtube to get money so they need to have certain entertainment value that keeps people hooked and want to come back...

although if you are too clickbaity, then you might lose subscribers... 

They lost me after less than two minutes, I continued with the sound off to see the near sinking but never found that bit. I won't be going back to their channel.

6 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Full length boats can be interesting when going down in a staircase with leaky gates when the counter gets a good soaking along with the steerer and the cabin if you have the doors open.

They lost me after less than two minutes, I continued with the sound off to see the near sinking but never found that bit. I won't be going back to their channel.

just went though the titles of the videos in their channel, yeah they are prone to using superlatives regularly.

I dare say the lock keeper sees similar to this incident on a regular basis hence the response.

It’s disappointing that having used the incident as a headline what you actually get on the video is a refusal to film or show the incident and 15 minutes of them talking to camera about it which isn’t the best viewing.

For that reason I think if we accept this couple are not newbies or prone to hysteria then we also cannot conclude the lockkeeper is an idiot.

Jon

• Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I always thought the Bingley Three and the Bingley Five were the victims of two infamous miscarriages of justice. Now try and tell me they are lock flights? They spent years in a Southern jail for allegedly trying to order mushy peas and gravy with their fish and chips on a visit to London. Never forget!

Free the Bingley Five!

?

It cannot be true, its impossible to buy Fish and chips that far south. Apologies for fish and chips maybe but not proper edible fish and chips.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

It cannot be true, its impossible to buy Fish and chips that far south. Apologies for fish and chips maybe but not proper edible fish and chips.

I believe this was the technicality that eventually got the Bingley 5 and the Bingley 3 out of jail. Their lawyers proved that the "chips" served were some sort of carbohydrate based extrusion and not based on potatoes at all.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

Wasted some time watching the video  and the main complaint seems to be that the skipper was not told by the CRT employee/volockie that water was coming into the bows. Why did his wife not shout down and tell him?  Surely the skipper could see from the back of his boat that the gates were leaking  even if he couldn't see where the water was going and he could have moved the boat back a bit.  I don't think all the blame rests with C &RT employees, far from it.. Much has been said on here about how experienced they are but although they may have been boating for  a while I wouldn't call their performance in that lock experienced.

haggis

• Greenie 1

5 hours ago, LadyG said:

A cratch cover is not a safety device.

This of course I know, but being pragmatic I also know lots of gates leak some quite badly. A cratch cover can serve as quite a useful way of avoiding getting iots of water in your well deck.