engine

Tanner

Featured Posts

Hi

I'm after some advice on a 40ft narrowboat we've just viewed at a brokerage.

The only thing that's putting doubt in my mind is the engine.

The engine is a Riga two cylinder (1998) 24hp. Would this be a 2 stroke ?.

Is 24hp enough for river cruising ?.

The boat will be moored at a marina on the trent 

so it has to cope with the river.

The engine is in really good condition, no oil leaks etc.

It is quite noisy, but i'm assuming this is due to it being a 2 cylinder ?

This will be my first boat so if anyone has any info or advice

it would be much appreciated.

Regards

Tanner

I think they were around 15 to 20 years ago and imported by was it marine engine services? for narrow boats with an engine room. A two cylinder air cooled long stroke diesel engine. I would have thought plenty powerful and robust for a 40ft boat. If it is in its own engine room should be ok but if it where you are steering could be unbearably noisy over time

The company is still around http://www.rigasdizelis.lv/en/products/marine/#p:main

No dealer in the Uk, Contact details below, worth sending a e-mail with details of the engine.

Tel.: +371 67381894;
Fax: +371 67381925;
E-mail: info@rigasdizelis.lv; marketing@rigasdizelis.lv;

Contact main office: Rigas Dizelis DG, 36, Ganibu dambis, Riga, Latvia, LV-1005; www.rigasdizelis.lv

Rigas Dizelis PM24, 2 cylinder, 1560 cc - 24hp@1800 rpm. Tick over 525 rpm

Imported by Marine Engine Services, Uxbridge (Peter Thompson).

According to Graham Booth's Narrow Boat Builders Book.

Imported to satisfy the desire for more traditional slower running 2 pot engines, after the Lister H-series engines ceased production.

Yes, a Rigas Dizelis. We had one in our last boat. It was quite loud, and smoky until warmed up, but had ample power. We bought ours from Peter Thompson and Chris Bennett (Chris-B of this forum) at Marine Engine Services, and paid extra for a few shiny bits for me to polish. M.E.S. were the official importers, I think they sold a dozen or so of them.

They were Deutz's built in Latvia in World War 2 when the Nazis occupied that country. After the Nazis withdrew, the company just kept on making them, as far as I know to the original spec. on an "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" basis.

I wonder: is this boat 'Batto'? That was the Rigas-powered 40-footer which we had built by Devizes Narrow Boat Builders about that time. I last heard of her in the Lincoln area. We sold her in 2006 when we had 'Trojan' built.

A link to the broker's advert would be appreciated - or at least a mention of which broker it is.

Edited by Athy

On 28/09/2020 at 09:04, Athy said:

Yes, a Rigas Dizelis. We had one in our last boat. It was quite loud, and smoky until warmed up, but had ample power. We bought ours from Peter Thompson and Chris Bennett (Chris-B of this forum) at Marine Engine Services, and paid extra for a few shiny bits for me to polish. M.E.S. were the official importers, I think they sold a dozen or so of them.

They were Deutz's built in Latvia in World War 2 when the Nazis occupied that country. After the Nazis withdrew, the company just kept on making them, as far as I know to the original spec. on an "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" basis.

I wonder: is this boat 'Batto'? That was the Rigas-powered 40-footer which we had built by Devizes Narrow Boat Builders about that time. I last heard of her in the Lincoln area. We sold her in 2006 when we had 'Trojan' built.

A link to the broker's advert would be appreciated - or at least a mention of which broker it is.

Thanks for all the replies.

Yeah she's at Great Haywood. It's was built in 1998, name ... erehwon.

Thanks again guys

13 hours ago, Tanner said:

Thanks for all the replies.

Yeah she's at Great Haywood. It's was built in 1998, name ... erehwon.

Thanks again guys

It looks as if it's not our former boat, then.

It doesn't come up on the Great Haywood boat sales web site.