Your Most Essential DIY Boating Tool or Spare Part

Blue Knight

Featured Posts

16 minutes ago, Blue Knight said:

Am I correct in thinkjng that you Narrowboaters never get burgled as the bad guys know that the occupants are 'packing' machetes ?

For that you need a sticker saying 'Machete on board and psycho crew'. It is also useful for creating a mooring where none existed before.

4 hours ago, Blue Knight said:

No one has mentioned it yet but does anyone keep an inspection camera onboard. It looks to be a very worthwhile purchase for a boat.

Probably because no one does. If I had one I'm sure I could find a use for it, but it would be a very long way down my list of useful tools.

Edited by David Mack

14 hours ago, Blue Knight said:

Hi Team,

The days are steadily ticking over until we collect our first boat in circa 3 or 4 weeks from now; full pre-purchase survey and CV19 dependent that is. 

I'm now having a think about which permanent tools, engine service gear and replacement parts/pumps/consumables I should consider stocking for emergencies and general usage.

I was also wondering what you guys would recommend to a newbie like me in terms of the 'can't be without' tool or spare part; an inspection camera at £69.99 sounds like a good idea 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson-inspection-camera-21-3-colour-screen/7942x

All the best,

Andrew

WD40, cable ties, a good adjustable spanner and tank tape - in 50 years I've never needed an inspection camera?

and yes as others have said a spare of everything sensible - esp an alternator, fan belt and a water pump 

10 hours ago, Blue Knight said:

May I ask where you buy most of your serviceable items and spares please? Is there a particular UK outlet for Barrus Shire engines which is favoured by forum members.

I have a Barrus Shire 40 and a search of my home city showed 

AE Woodward

North Bridge Works

Lime Street

Hull

HU8 7AB

01482 329185

I ordered all the spares I was advised to get (various filters and alternator belts), they were happy to have them delivered to the marina and were priced lower than others had used. Well worth contacting if you're close.

21 hours ago, Blue Knight said:

No one has mentioned it yet but does anyone keep an inspection camera onboard. It looks to be a very worthwhile purchase for a boat.

Yes I do, plugs into my android phone, 5m cable and is waterproof, purchased from ebay about 9 quid IIRC...

Edited by Quattrodave
  • Greenie 1

On 27/09/2020 at 16:56, Blue Knight said:

an inspection camera at £69.99 sounds like a good idea 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson-inspection-camera-21-3-colour-screen/7942x

Why not save yourself some money and get the cheaper usb version? You'll probably never use it anyway. I've had my usb endoscope camera for about 10 years and never used it once. Seemed like a good idea at the time. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174369153622

I might stick it into my water tank next weekend if I remember and see if it needs repainting.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

The definition of a marina is "a hole in the ground into which others throw money."

Unless that marina is called Brinklow...

4 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I've had my usb endoscope camera for about 10 years and never used it once.

No imagination, some people. I’ve looked up my nose, seen the back of my throat and inspected the hairs sprouting out of my ears...

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, WotEver said:

15 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Unless that marina is called Brinklow...

No imagination, some people. I’ve looked up my nose, seen the back of my throat and inspected the hairs sprouting out of my ears...

No imagination, I've used mine in many interesting places and there as well. For a fee I could do colonoscopies.  endoscopies, not with the same camera.

I take it when looking at boats, a 20mm hole bored through the floor in an out of the way place lets you see the cabin bilge.  Pump out tanks can be inspected if you have the stomach.

No one has mentioned an infrequent red thermometer yet.

10 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I take it when looking at boats, a 20mm hole bored through the floor in an out of the way place lets you see the cabin bilge.  Pump out tanks can be inspected if you have the stomach.

Better to bore it through the floor than through the baseplate yes. ?