Your Most Essential DIY Boating Tool or Spare Part

Blue Knight

Featured Posts

Hi Team,

The days are steadily ticking over until we collect our first boat in circa 3 or 4 weeks from now; full pre-purchase survey and CV19 dependent that is. 

I'm now having a think about which permanent tools, engine service gear and replacement parts/pumps/consumables I should consider stocking for emergencies and general usage.

I was also wondering what you guys would recommend to a newbie like me in terms of the 'can't be without' tool or spare part; an inspection camera at £69.99 sounds like a good idea 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/magnusson-inspection-camera-21-3-colour-screen/7942x

All the best,

Andrew

Spare filters and belts, set of spanners all to suit the model of engine Oil, grease, antifreeze.

Water proofs, boiler suit.

Calor spanner.  Decent rechargeable LED torch.  Infra red thermometer.  Multimeter, preferably a DC clamp ammeter.

Edited by Tracy D'arth
added more text
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Spare filters and belts, set of spanners all to suit the model of engine Oil, grease, antifreeze.

Water proofs, boiler suit.

Calor spanner.  Decent rechargeable LED torch.  Infra red thermometer.  Multimeter, preferably a DC clamp ammeter.

Many thanks for the notes Tracy.

Do you happen to hold spare water pumps too. We do on our camper van as it's one thing that fails every so often - and no water in the Highlands during the winter isn't pleasant.

48 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Bottle of Laphroig

If it makes the Barrus 45 run better then I'm up for it ?

1 minute ago, Blue Knight said:

Many thanks for the notes Tracy.

Do you happen to hold spare water pumps too. We do on our camper van as it's one thing that fails every so often - and no water in the Highlands during the winter isn't pleasant.

Yes, water pump, alternator, starter motor, one injector, a fuel solenoid, and a gasket set for the injection pump and a head set.

• Greenie 1
  • Horror 1

6 minutes ago, Blue Knight said:

A spare domestic water pump is a good idea. The cheaper ones seem to last around four years or so in full time use I've found.

4 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

alternator, starter motor, one injector, a fuel solenoid, and a gasket set for the injection pump and a head set.

If the engine is relatively new, or you are reasonably sure it has been looked after, then these are less likely to be needed. An older engine then more likely. If the engine has a twin alternator set up, then a bit of hot wiring can get one alternator charging both battery banks temporarily until the duff one can be repaired, or replaced. A set of jump leads to jump the engine from the house batteries after the starter battery died got me out of trouble once.

One good thing about having some tools and spares on board is the ability to help out boaters you meet that are less well prepared. Doesn't have to be boaters either. I once helped a tow path cyclist fix a flat tyre!

Jen

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Patio weed knife, pond (rubber) gloves and small bolt cropper for when you are in the weedhatch trying to remove something from your prop.

I have one of the wire saws with a ring at each end. Great for cutting branches, tyres off the prop, scrotes.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

One good thing about having some tools and spares on board is the ability to help out boaters you meet that are less well prepared.

I have a theory that three boats can fix anything.  Between them they will usually have the parts, tools and skills to sort most issues.  It doesn't seem to matter which three boats either!

• Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I have one of the wire saws with a ring at each end. Great for cutting branches, tyres off the prop, scrotes.

I always carry one of those when hiking & camping.

I also have a heavy duty WW1 military version but its weighs about 1kg so too heavy for hiking with.

A2.jpg

Saw 4.jpg

Saw 6.jpg

Saw 9.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I have a theory that three boats can fix anything.  Between them they will usually have the parts, tools and skills to sort most issues.  It doesn't seem to matter which three boats either!

Speed reading your post (and who bothers to read the whole thread nowadays)-

I feel obliged to add  to add the note - "go back home and start again with one of the other two...

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Yes, water pump, alternator, starter motor, one injector, a fuel solenoid, and a gasket set for the injection pump and a head set.

Thanks once again Tracy - you've been a star.

I've downloaded the 108-page Barrus Shire instructions and have spent the last hour logging all of the various codes.

May I ask where you buy most of your serviceable items and spares please? Is there a particular UK outlet for Barrus Shire engines which is favoured by forum members.

Many thanks,

Andrew

1 hour ago, GRLMK38 said:

A bottle of Fuelset and a Smart Gauge.

Now on the list, many thanks indeed ?

I've just been reading about diesel bug.

1 hour ago, Kendorr said:

Something like this is a good tool to have for those small repairs

https://www.toolstation.com/bauker-300w-multi-cutter/p54984

Now that'll be very useful for a couple of floor jobs which I have planned.

Thanks for your help.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I always carry one of those when hiking & camping.

I also have a heavy duty WW1 military version but its weighs about 1kg so too heavy for hiking with.

A2.jpg

Saw 4.jpg

Saw 6.jpg

Saw 9.jpg

Those items look like serious bits of kit.

Many thanks for all of the pics and ideas Alan.

All the best,

Andrew

2 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

A spare domestic water pump is a good idea. The cheaper ones seem to last around four years or so in full time use I've found.

If the engine is relatively new, or you are reasonably sure it has been looked after, then these are less likely to be needed. An older engine then more likely. If the engine has a twin alternator set up, then a bit of hot wiring can get one alternator charging both battery banks temporarily until the duff one can be repaired, or replaced. A set of jump leads to jump the engine from the house batteries after the starter battery died got me out of trouble once.

One good thing about having some tools and spares on board is the ability to help out boaters you meet that are less well prepared. Doesn't have to be boaters either. I once helped a tow path cyclist fix a flat tyre!

Jen

Thanks Jen, I can work most DIY jobs out (eventually) so I'll add your suggestions to the list - very useful, thanks.

Our Barrus 45 'to be' is a few years old and the engine hours VDO is not working so I've been looking at the various wiring diagrams to see what's what.

The tachometer is still working so the hours should still be counting. I'll come up with some cunning plan (famous last words) ?

The engine looks to be well serviced though.

No one has mentioned it yet but does anyone keep an inspection camera onboard. It looks to be a very worthwhile purchase for a boat.

2 minutes ago, Onewheeler said:

Machete, especially if you are on the Thames and adventurous.

Am I correct in thinkjng that you Narrowboaters never get burgled as the bad guys know that the occupants are 'packing' machetes ?

2 minutes ago, Blue Knight said:

No one has mentioned it yet but does anyone keep an inspection camera onboard. It looks to be a very worthwhile purchase for a boat.

If you have a laptop you can buy a 'snake' camera with a USB plug on one end for about a tenner.

• Greenie 2

Just now, WotEver said:

If you have a laptop you can buy a 'snake' camera with a USB plug on one end for about a tenner.

Ah, yes, I've just been reading about something similiar Tony but using a smartphone instead (via eBay costing c.£30).

That's a good idea of yours and one that will cut the bill in half. Many thanks.

A wire coat hanger.      The wire is just pliable enough to be shaped by hand and strong enough to handle a variety of "get you home" tasks.   Past uses have included:  a temporary replacement for a broken pulley block on a cable steering system; and a hook that could be attached to the end of a broom to act as a makeshift boathook.