Boat missing

K8*

Featured Posts

44 minutes ago, David Mack said:

No maybe about it. You are required to have the CRT index number displayed on your boat.

Yes, but it doesn't have to be painted on. Mine is just on the original tin plates propped up in the window. Maybe it's time I screwed them on the cabin side, but there again...

ETA but if you're going to lend your boat to strangers, or even just leave it dumped on the towpath for months, like people do, it might be as well to have something permanent to identify the boat by. I'd weld raised numbers on, I think. 

Edited by Arthur Marshall

Yes David Mack I did explain it at the start - nothing has changed, it was supposed to be returned and wasn't and went missing, but now, since involving the police I have more hope that it will be returned. 

6 minutes ago, K8* said:

Yes David Mack I did explain it at the start - nothing has changed, it was supposed to be returned and wasn't and went missing, but now, since involving the police I have more hope that it will be returned. 

The people you originally loaned it to seemed to have assumed some right of ownership. Not sure how that sits with the law, but it appears to be a dishonest use of your property. 

Edited by Higgs

Yes Arthur, it does make you think more about this stuff doesn't it, there's not much that really identifies a boat, that's one thing I've realised. I'm certainly going to put some thought into that.

Well Higgs I was very afraid for a while that it was something like that. When C and R tell you something has vanished off the system it is easy to jump to conclusions, but in hindsight possibly just a couple of liberties were taken and if it's returned then, well frankly, all's well that ends well.

Well thanks everyone for all the help and support. It is good to know the boating community does want to help in such situations. It's nice to know there are good folks out there, an antidote to feeling that others can't be trusted. I do also understand any scepticism where there's been domestic violence cases in the past, nasty, I'd be the same and sensible to be cautious. But overall it does feel like there's a resource there if the worst should happen to track down a boat if needed. Fingers crossed I should have it back by the end of the week :>)

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/10/2020 at 12:58, K8* said:

Well thanks everyone for all the help and support. It is good to know the boating community does want to help in such situations. It's nice to know there are good folks out there, an antidote to feeling that others can't be trusted. I do also understand any scepticism where there's been domestic violence cases in the past, nasty, I'd be the same and sensible to be cautious. But overall it does feel like there's a resource there if the worst should happen to track down a boat if needed. Fingers crossed I should have it back by the end of the week :>)

Did it all end well? Don't leave us hanging!

I am curious too about the outcome.

As a side comment,  depending on the age of the boat, the CIN number should be stamped (or similar) to the stern area, usually starboard side, and in a "secret" area of the Hull. Weed hatches often also have welded manufacturer numbers (HIN) on from the Hull builder. These would all help to identify a craft.

Edited due to temporary numptiness. 

Edited by Ally
  • Greenie 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry All, I was caught up in negotiations.

I'm very glad to say that C&R found my boat for which I am very very grateful.

It had been striped/ gutted - just a hull left.

However, the person that had charge of it offered to buy it from me so I'm not out of pocket, even if I am morning the loss of a good little boat.

But all's well that ends well.

Maybe one day I will buy another little boat but until then I will have to be satisfied with walking or cycling the canals.

Thank you all again for your support.

• Greenie 1

39 minutes ago, K8* said:

However, the person that had charge of it offered to buy it from me so I'm not out of pocket, even if I am morning the loss of a good little boat.

Maybe one day I will buy another little boat but until then I will have to be satisfied with walking or cycling the canals.

Thanks for getting back to us.

42 minutes ago, K8* said:

If you take your windlass with you and empty and fill a couple of locks when you walk or cycle past,it will be almost as good as having a boat 

And much cheaper!!

14 hours ago, K8* said:

I hope he does buy the boat, believe it when you see the money. :)

Fitting out a small boat to a reasonable standard isn't that hard or expensive, it's just very time consuming, assuming one is happy with gas cooking, woodburner for heating and 12v power.  It's the usual 2 out of 3 rule - good, cheap, quick.  I enjoyed doing mine, but wouldn't want to have to do it again!