Boat missing

K8*

Featured Posts

Hi Boaters,

I am trying to locate my boat Grace (name not on side sadly), number is 504062 if it is being displayed.

She is a dark blue 40 foot narrow boat with a cruiser stern. There are three large top hopper windows on either side. Chimney front right and three brass mushroom vents.

She was on loan and has not been sited by Canal and River Trust since July, I'm not really sure what the situation is, and I have not been able to reach the person she is with.

However, I have now reported her missing and the incident number is SP20200926-0013.

Any help much appreciated.

All the best,

Kate

Grace Pic.JPG

Missing since July? Could be anywhere by now, painted a different colour or changed to be unrecognisable. 

Where was it last seen? 

And whilst it is perhaps none of my business why was this boat lent? Did you know the person who borrowed it? Was this a genuine loan or an unofficial hire, or a buy-by-installments arrangement? Is the boat insured (presumably it is if it is licenced)? And if so did your insurers agree to the loan arrangement?

Well it won't have gone far with a draft of 22 feet!

Grace Built by Dave Clarke Boats - Length : 12.19 metres ( 40 feet ) - Beam : 2.08 metres ( 6 feet 10 inches ) - Draft : 6.7 metres ( 22 feet ). Metal hull N/A power of 28 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 504062 as a Powered Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

2 minutes ago, Rickent said:

Not sighted since July says to me it's out the water somewhere being repainted a different colour. 

May well be, but the CRT sighting system is not comprehensive, so if the boat has been kept away from the regularly patrolled honeypot sites, it could quite easily avoid being sighted. Especially if the index number has been removed/covered.

OK so the C and R trust say that it is incredibly rare for a boat to be stolen - fairly hard to do in fact, and I am trying to just hold on to that, but yes like you all I did panic and fear the worst.

I just would very much like to know where it is so if anyone sees it please let me know, thank you.

I believe there is some possibility it may be in the Birmingham canal network... and yes I do know what that means :>(

It is rare for a boat to be stolen but I wouldn’t say incredibly.

Ihave to say, if it was out on loan, you must be in touch with the borrowers. You must have demanded regular reports on where they are. You possibly took a deposit.

Hope you find your boat.

Kate,

Several people have asked where the boat was last seen and you have not responded. If you want our help you have to give us something to go on. We regularly get newbies on here with a problem, and sometimes it is like pulling teeth to get the information we need to solve the particular problem.

If you detect a bit of scepticism in some of the posts, it is because we have had a number of 'missing boat' threads over the years which have turned out to be anything but what the original poster said. Not saying this is so in your case, but some of these 'missing' boats have turned out to be disputed ownership cases e.g. when a couple split up and both claimed ownership, or when one person claims they were just renting the boat out but the other claims they were buying by installments while living aboard and had now paid in full. I remember another case where the boat wasn't missing at all, but an abusive ex was trying to find out where his former partner was now living. In another case, a hire boat failed to return at the end of a three week booking, and it was later found painted a different colour and miles from the hire base.

You have already said Grace was 'on loan', which does sound rather dodgy. So how about giving us a description of the person/people the boat was on loan to, so that we might recognise them, even if the boat is now a different colour and name.

Most missing boats are soon found.

If you have an idea where Grace might be you could do worse than get on your bike and cycle the local towpaths. 

I will keep an eye out while boating next week.

Edited by David Mack
  • Greenie 1

OP last visited 10 minutes after their last post.

I smell another vague story covering a more complicated tale of the Ex Partner/Fallen out with/Friendship gone sour/Partially paid for type of shenanigans we hear about so often.

• LAST VISITED

Sunday at 20:11
  • LAST VISITED

Sunday at 20:11l
  •  
  • LAST VISITED

Sunday at 20:11
  • Greenie 1

This boat looks very much like the one that was in the field on the left of bridge 69 heading south on the T&M. It was in undercoat for years and I am sure I saw it painted blue, then it disappeared. It must have been in that field at least 4 years. You can still see the outline in the grass on Google maps.

Actually it may been painted green, I'll leave the post up anyway.

Edited by Cas446
Second thoughts

3 hours ago, Cas446 said:

This boat looks very much like the one that was in the field on the left of bridge 69 heading south on the T&M. It was in undercoat for years and I am sure I saw it painted blue, then it disappeared. It must have been in that field at least 4 years. You can still see the outline in the grass on Google maps.

Actually it may been painted green, I'll leave the post up anyway.

The OP's picture does indeed look like the field by bridge 69 that Dave Freeman does repairs and surveys in. He should have knowledge of the boat.    07918 677782

I suspect more facts are needed for identification/

The depth of the craft quoted is of interest as it would be hard to see it passing certain canals. The engine horse power is quoted, but not the make. That  is a fact that might assist with tracing the craft,

Exactly, the depth quoted is clearly wrong

But the Manchester Ship Canal is said to be  28 feet !

Looking at the photo supplied, if the depth was as stated the hull would be buried into the ground by some distance.

Edited by Heartland

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry there was no reply for a bit so I thought this would be a dead end and haven't checked it for a while. So yes I did say that it was last thought to be in B'ham canal network. Nope, no other owners involved, just me. It was a complicated agreement where I was approached by a stranger with an offer to do it up if I let them have it for a while and then someone else had it that I didn't know, who refused to give it back. The person that took it from me said they believed this was all fine and no problem but C and R still haven't spotted it at all in the last 3 months which does seem bizarre and made me very worried. It should have it's number displayed in the window. Yes that's right, that was it's home mooring for a while. However, the police have been fairly helpful and have done some checking and negotiating for me and seem confident it will be returned to me in the next week, so I am not so worried anymore. Thanks for all you help and advice guys. When I get it back I think the very first thing will be to paint the name on and maybe the number too. 

• Greenie 3

On 29/09/2020 at 22:21, zenataomm said:

I smell another vague story covering a more complicated tale of the Ex Partner/Fallen out with/Friendship gone sour/Partially paid for type of shenanigans we hear about so often.

7 minutes ago, K8* said:

It was a complicated agreement where I was approached by a stranger with an offer to do it up if I let them have it for a while and then someone else had it that I didn't know, who refused to give it back. The person that took it from me said they believed this was all fine and no problem

OK. So after all, a complicated tale of ownership/lending/refusal to return. Just not exactly the same complicated tale as we might have assumed.

Hopefully K8* has learned a lesson and will come out of this OK. No more dodgy deals next time!

13 minutes ago, K8* said:

When I get it back I think the very first thing will be to paint the name on and maybe the number too. 

No maybe about it. You are required to have the CRT index number displayed on your boat.