One for the paint experts

JJPHG

Featured Posts

I’ve seen quite a few intersting post over the last few months about various pro and cons of different paints.  I am repainting the house at the moment (exterior) and have long bemoaned the paints in this counrty.  I dont know if things have changed back in the UK but from my memory the paint was ok maybe not thick enough to stand your brush up in it at least it’s a damn site thicker than the milk consistency we are faced with here.   Anyway, I stumbled across a primer/sealer which at least doesn’t run down the brush as quick as you try to apply it to a ceiling.  My question is, is there any problem leaving this as this as the final coat as the finish is pretty good and actually a lot nicer than some the supposed premium exterior paints I’ve tried.  I have tried one patch with this primer followed by 5 layers (to overcome the patchy nature because its soooo thin) of topcoat but still think the primer on its own looks better. 

I would need to look at the full specifications to see exactly what the ssealer was but in general primers are porous so shoudl always be given top coat, even f you will rub it off next summer to complete the paint system.

I was very happy with Johnstones professional oil based gloss on my boat.

57 minutes ago, JJPHG said:

I’ve seen quite a few intersting post over the last few months about various pro and cons of different paints.  I am repainting the house at the moment (exterior) and have long bemoaned the paints in this counrty.  I dont know if things have changed back in the UK but from my memory the paint was ok maybe not thick enough to stand your brush up in it at least it’s a damn site thicker than the milk consistency we are faced with here.   Anyway, I stumbled across a primer/sealer which at least doesn’t run down the brush as quick as you try to apply it to a ceiling.  My question is, is there any problem leaving this as this as the final coat as the finish is pretty good and actually a lot nicer than some the supposed premium exterior paints I’ve tried.  I have tried one patch with this primer followed by 5 layers (to overcome the patchy nature because its soooo thin) of topcoat but still think the primer on its own looks better. 

Primers are not designed to be waterproof, if exposed to wet environments. Primers are a bond between the substrate and the following paint processes. 

Thanks all.  Its bed time here so i’ll see what spec the paint is in the morning.  The ‘pros” tend to use rockcote or Dulux - the later is often sprayed on rather than brushed - hence the preference for water like consistency.

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Where is "here"

According to his profile:

Elanora, Queensland, Australia

2 hours ago, JJPHG said:

Thanks all.  Its bed time here so i’ll see what spec the paint is in the morning.  The ‘pros” tend to use rockcote or Dulux - the later is often sprayed on rather than brushed - hence the preference for water like consistency.

You could always consider doing similar. HVLP spray guns are available for around $80 AU.