Hurleston offside

dor

Featured Posts

For the last few months there have been several boats moored on the offside below the reservoir embankment. It struck me that this was a good spot for a short term visitor mooring. It is piled, and a fence could easily be put up to discourage people from wandering onto the reservoir site (which is accessible anyway from above the locks).

This week however there are lots of “no mooring “ signs put in.

A shame as this would make a pleasant spot to moor.

Maybe CRT are concerned the boats will be in danger when the bank collapses?

I noticed there were people mooring up there when I went by a month ago. As both the marked towpath moorings are on the shelf it seemed like a good idea. Unfortunately, at least one boat seemed to have set up permanent residence (going by the amount of clutter next to the boat) and this may be what stimulated CRTs action.  They may also simply not want people clambering up and down the bank due to insurance liability when someone slips.

1 hour ago, dor said:

For the last few months there have been several boats moored on the offside below the reservoir embankment. It struck me that this was a good spot for a short term visitor mooring. It is piled, and a fence could easily be put up to discourage people from wandering onto the reservoir site (which is accessible anyway from above the locks).

This week however there are lots of “no mooring “ signs put in.

A shame as this would make a pleasant spot to moor.

Maybe CRT are concerned the boats will be in danger when the bank collapses?

We moored just opposite recently and went for a walk around the reservoir. There were 4 or 5 boats over there and we thought that  next time we'd also go there. There weren't any 'no mooring' signs then.

Stefe

Apparently the land does not belong to CRT but one of the water companys. As usual people took the piss. They couldn't just moor for a few days and move on. Oh no, we had the stay a long time and spread out onto the bank side brigade moor there. There were no signs where I was there last week but knew it was coming due to the mickey takers moored there. 

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I thought someone said it was C&RT property because they tried to charge the farmer rent for having his sheep on there 

During lockdown we were moored on the VMs just south of the bridge there. I walked round the resevoir many times. A couple of times I saw Foutains wearing CRT hi-vis vests cutting the grass on the embankment. I also saw CRT employees visit the embankment in CRT vans to check on any movement of the marker poles put in to check for slippage. I got the impression that it is a CRT reservoir that is used by the water company. 

40 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Correct, C&RT are now responsible for mowing because of the expulsion of free eating sheep.  AS FAR AS AVAILABLE INFORMATION .

On 25/09/2020 at 14:20, PeterScott said:

On [25 Sep] in 1987

spacer.png

Hurleston reservoir SU. Sheep.

Some moorings on 2 Sep this year

P9027480s.jpg.b97d043dc8d299dded0ad78b4f518ca4.jpg

Another change from the last trip was lots of white posts. They  can't all be for new no-mooring signs.

42 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

... A couple of times I saw Foutains wearing CRT hi-vis vests cutting the grass on the embankment. I also saw CRT employees visit the embankment in CRT vans to check on any movement of the marker poles put in to check for slippage....

P9027475s.jpg.1727737ad99f5e17a8829a833619a3c9.jpg

P9027477s.jpg.18ac5a89f062541cf22b93ff912155f0.jpg

Edited by PeterScott
2020 pics
  • Greenie 1

I've never clambered up there but I bet that if the farmer was happy to put sheep there that the reservoir is fenced for public safety reasons if no other. The fact that there is no fence at the bottom would further suggest this.

There will be deep water signs too I think and sheep are not stupid...........................................................................................................................................Oops!

How do you count sheep without falling asleep?

You count legs and divide by four.

18 hours ago, John Wareing said:

It will be United Utilities land, given it’s at the base of the reservoir which stores the water that has come from the Dee down the Llangollen canal en route to the treatment works at Hurleston. 

I stand corrected on ownership. I guess CRT own the reservoir as a result of it being the water from the Llangollen, although it will then go to UU for treatment across the road.

2 hours ago, haggis said:

I wonder if the sheep were removed to stop them paddling or falling into the water in the reservoir. I don't think dead sheep flavoured water would go down very well with the recipients ? 

All the other sheep, cattle, etc between Hurleston and Llangollen being competent swimmers?

Came past on Friday, a couple of days after the signs were reported to have appeared, and there were still four or five boats moored on that side.

41 minutes ago, StephenA said:

Boats still moored there on Sat. Two seemed to be empty and one had a guy siting on the back deck reading - boat moored feet away from a no mooring sign.

You can not discriminate, he may not read, have mental problems, broken down, out of fuel, sunk, be infirm or disabled, blind, deaf, stupid or just an ass.  Or of course work for C&RT who managed to ignore the obvious all the time.

3 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I've never clambered up there but I bet that if the farmer was happy to put sheep there that the reservoir is fenced for public safety reasons if no other. The fact that there is no fence at the bottom would further suggest this.

There will be deep water signs too I think and sheep are not stupid...........................................................................................................................................Oops!

How do you count sheep without falling asleep?

You count legs and divide by four.

If they can get out they are quite good at swimming or our ram was when he got a stiff of the ladies the other side of the river Yare, funny he never swam back and climbed out our side. I don't recommend trying to hold a ram in the back of a little rowing boat.

From all of the above I take it we can assume that they are C&RT signs and not an utility company then?

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

If they can get out they are quite good at swimming or our ram was when he got a stiff of the ladies the other side of the river Yare, funny he never swam back and climbed out our side. I don't recommend trying to hold a ram in the back of a little rowing boat.

From all of the above I take it we can assume that they are C&RT signs and not an utility company then?

How did you mistype t for n or was it a Freudian slip?