Castlefields tunnels and wharehouses on YouTube

noddyboater

Featured Posts

I'm sure many of you will have seen Martin Zero exploring various stuff from the industrial revolution on YouTube. His latest video, Canals wharehouses and tunnels from the 18th century, is probably his most interesting yet. 

Filmed around Castlefields Basin in Manchester he covers the route of the diverted river Medlock, the disused Hume lock (which looks like a breach waiting to happen), and the fascinating Grocers Wharehouse and tunnel. There's also plenty of black and white photographs showing various working boats to keep the rivet counters busy.

Fascinating stuff.

I was always interested in the waterway near my home in Wood Green in North London. I was just 7yrs old at the time and on trips up to what was Wood Green main line station on the L.N.E.R. the road crossed the New River. To the left was a screen of sorts where dank green weed was hauled out left to smell of this almost sea weedy smell, whereafter the waterway disappeared under the railway into absolute darkness. Where did it go? I wondered. On the other side of the road the waterway led straight into a tunnel, again pitch dark. It was all very spooky! But that pales into insignificance compared with Martin's adventures - brilliant stuff.