Why two relays in my boat?

cairanvanrooyen

Featured Posts

My boat is a 2003 Pinder, ex Black Prince. 

I am doing a refit. I am redoing much of the 12v to my own liking and come across two relays (I think) in the rear of my boat with all the other 12v fusing and electrical distribution.

Does anyone know why I might have these here? They appear connected together and on the leisure side of the 12v...

Any clues would be gratefully received.

IMG_20200926_181639~2.jpg

The far one appears to have a snipped connection.

You may find that BP fitted 2 split chargers to cover for either alternator failing, or to boost the  charge after an evenings use of batteries by persons who dont realise that electricity doesnt grow on trees.

They are high current relays, 180A, so the suggestion that they are some sort of alternator paralleling system is plausible. Follow the wires and find out where they go.

The wires connected between 86and 85 are the signal used to switch the load. The wires between 87 and 30 are the heavy load to be switched.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

3 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

The wires connected between 86and 85 are the signal used to switch the load. The wires between 87 and 30 are the heavy load to be switched.

Blame the Deutsches Institut für Normung...

20 hours ago, matty40s said:

.............. electricity doesnt grow on trees.

I'm sorry, I have to correct you there, from mid December to  12th jan, the town trees all sprout lightbulbs, it's a seasonal crop ?

Edited by LadyG
  • Haha 1

I found exactly the same on an EX BP boat right down to the snipped off cable. they were also using the relay studs as  a junction box and one relay was redundant. I concluded that ether BP had converted to a twin alternator system of had re-engined with a twin alternator engine. I also  wondered if they had a separate heating or fridge battery bank at one time but it was removed.

43 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I found exactly the same on an EX BP boat right down to the snipped off cable. they were also using the relay studs as  a junction box and one relay was redundant. I concluded that ether BP had converted to a twin alternator system of had re-engined with a twin alternator engine. I also  wondered if they had a separate heating or fridge battery bank at one time but it was removed.

Separate  battery for the Ebersnatcher?