Victron Fault

GUMPY

Featured Posts

Victron Multiplus Compact 12/1600/70

After a days cruising the batteries are showing 13.07v, Smartgauge reports 100% and the voltage measured at the inverter terminals is 13.07v.

The combi is flashing an alarm light, on interrogation by victron connect it tells me its a low battery and reports 67% soc.

I have disabled battery soc within VC and restarted the Multiplus but the fault wont clear. 

Everything seems to be working as it should, my suspicion is that I will have to connect a mains power source (which I can do tomorrow) to lift the soc to clear it.

Anyone got any thoughts apart from its feked.

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

reports 67% soc.

That SoC reading will always be a lie.  13.07V proves it; simply ignore it. 

However, for it to be complaining of low voltage when it's seeing 13+V on its input does suggest a fault. Perhaps disconnecting it and reconnecting it (the old switch-it-off-and-on-again trick) might reset it?

Its cured for a while I hope.

Reset the low battery cut off from 11v to 10.5v and the reset that was needed cleared the warning.

Still don't understand what caused it as no heavy loads so voltage hasn't been below 12.5v

2 minutes ago, WotEver said:

That SoC reading will always be a lie.  13.07V proves it; simply ignore it. 

However, for it to be complaining of low voltage when it's seeing 13+V on its input does suggest a fault. Perhaps disconnecting it and reconnecting it (the old switch-it-off-and-on-again trick) might reset it?

Tried that earlier no change. :(

Edited by Loddon

What are you using to measure the Victron SoC other than the Smartgauge?

If it is a BMV 600 or 700, then if you press the < and > buttons simoultaneously for 3 seconds when the battery is known to be at 100% SoC (charging st 14.4 volts + with tail current below 1% of battery capacity) the display will reset to 100%.

Whilst fiddling with the BMV you could take the opportunity to measure battery capacity (by discharging to 50%, looking at the Ah discharged and doubling it) and change the battery capacity setting in the BMV to the actual value. At the same time set the default tail current setting from 4% to 1%.

If you repeat this quarterly the BMV will give reasonably accurate SoC readings.

Edited by cuthound
Clarification

I use a Smartgauge but only when its dark ;) the solar has a SOC in it that lies through its teeth and the combi has a SOC in it that seems to lie as well.

Both the solar and the combi seem to believe that they are the only source of charge so that's why they lie.

There is also an ammeter that tells me that the charge rate is below 3.8 amps  or 1% so that  tells me the batteries are at 100%

CBA with any shunt based SOC meter as the only one worth using (Balmar SG200) is not available in the UK ;)

It wasn't a SOC problem it was a Victron settings problem despite the combi saying 67% when it was clearly 100%, the SOC part of the victron has been disabled.

I will add its the first time I have used the inverter part of the combi in anger having done very little boating since it was installed.

Edited by Loddon