Hot Water Boiler and the BSS

OZEY

Featured Posts

Hi everyone,

I am the owner of a nice Buckingham 25 but having seen my firends Atlanta it got me thinking it's time to have a change.

I have a very important BSS query which I hope someone could clarify things.

My Buckingham had a boiler and the flue to it went through the ceiling and exited out in the deck "dash Board"

meaning the flue plate grill was under the hood by the side window, the examiner failed the boat BSS, I had to remove the boiler it to get a pass.

I have seen an Atlanta with the same boiler setup and it has a BSS pass, Is it worth me persuing the sale or will I have the same problem and have to remove the boiler.

Thank you for your help

30 minutes ago, OZEY said:

Hi everyone,

I am the owner of a nice Buckingham 25 but having seen my firends Atlanta it got me thinking it's time to have a change.

I have a very important BSS query which I hope someone could clarify things.

My Buckingham had a boiler and the flue to it went through the ceiling and exited out in the deck "dash Board"

meaning the flue plate grill was under the hood by the side window, the examiner failed the boat BSS, I had to remove the boiler it to get a pass.

I have seen an Atlanta with the same boiler setup and it has a BSS pass, Is it worth me persuing the sale or will I have the same problem and have to remove the boiler.

Thank you for your help

You have come across one of the major problems with the BSS.

The guidelines are often ignored by the individual examiners, who make up the rules to suit what they think is 'right', this means that whilst one examiner will fail your boat, another will pass it.

Why don't you just get the examiner who last did the Atlanta to do your boat ?

Hi, Thank you for your advice unfortunately the examiner who did the last BSS test has moved and (possibly retired) and cannot find him.

I did think the the current examiner was correct in some instances as I could see if someone did touch the flue outlet

could get a burn, and fumes in the hooded environment, but my argument is, " how often and how long would the boiler

be used just to get water to wash pots and possibly a shower on a weekender leisure boat? ". seems he was harsh, but 

to risk geting antoher examiner and another fee I did as instructed and boiler was taken out. Kettle and stove now!!!.

Atlanta?  will have to dream for now.

On 26/09/2020 at 17:40, OZEY said:

Do you mean the flue is under cover inside  the cockpit canopy ? If so that sounds potentially lethal. 

Yes It was inside the cockpit canopy, I realised the danger of fumes and never used it without the side canopy panels open.

however my examiner obviously took worst senario for his  descicion.

The Atlanta I had wanted to buy with a BSS had the same setup which made me wonder if my examiner was too harsh.